Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mining still useless and broken?

Mining still useless and broken?

I didn't have time to test out the 2.4 been busy with work. Im wondering, is there any improvements to mining yet or is it as always, Frontier doesnt prioritize it?

I've been mining palladium the last couple days, for the CG. And it doesn't seem broken to me?

Sure, I wish I could cheaply synthesize limpets, or set the mining lasers to continuous fire.

I've been about to make ~5 million per run in my Type-9. Takes me a bit over an hour, but it's still worthwhile.

It still isn't useless or broken.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners...2m&sh=c06b0e96

With 2.4 they've patched a mining exploit. Everything else still seemed to be working as intended. Didn't get to test multi crew in open beta to see if that has seen changes.

Mining's been fine for me since they fixed the kamikaze limpets way back, not tried it in 2.4 beta though.

Yinyin
    Exploit?
    THARGOID/US CANDIDATE SYSTEMS SEARCH LIST & criteria (WIP)
    i7 4930k @4.1 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1866, G/byte HD 7970 3 GB, (128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3TB & 1TB HDD)
    Team AnandTech - SETI@Home, Muon1, Folding@H, MilkyWay@H, Asteroids@H, Rosetta@H, Skynet-POGS, LHC@H & Einstein@H - helping science with my PC.
    Commander Mark P D......

I guess they have not then. There is no engineering available for miners and I would like to see the option to engineer prospector limpets that increase amount in the asteroid by up to 500% at grade 5. And also, if you are like me, having capped storage for materials and data, it becomes a real hassle to have to discard materials all the time, or the limpets just completly halts. There is no way to enjoy a mining run in my opinion, as soon as you start to relax, it's time to find a new rock.

Yeah, the only good mining specific blue prints are light weight controllers. But all the other generic stuff really helps mining out a lot (be it dirty drives to have an easier time getting around, more range to hop to the best sale quickly or more power to more comfortably ignore pirate attacks).

For materials: filter them by elements and and grades 1 through 4. These are the only ones you will encounter (a bit less actually, rings have a limited set just like planets). You can preemptively drop a bunch of grade 1 elements as well. You will pick up lots of them.

Data is irrelevant to mining.

And if you want to spend more time in front of a single asteroid to relax before it is depleted: mine within 20 km of a low extraction site. Asteroids there drop a lot more fragments. At the edge of the extraction site you shouldn't run into any pirates - and if you do, the ones in low intensity are so weak they shouldn't even outpace your shield regeneration.

Originally Posted by YinYin View Post (Source)
    I'm not sharing that here
    Well, if they patched it...

Originally Posted by z33r0x View Post (Source)
    I guess they have not then. There is no engineering available for miners and I would like to see the option to engineer prospector limpets that increase amount in the asteroid by up to 500% at grade 5. And also, if you are like me, having capped storage for materials and data, it becomes a real hassle to have to discard materials all the time, or the limpets just completly halts. There is no way to enjoy a mining run in my opinion, as soon as you start to relax, it's time to find a new rock.
    I find it easy enough to dump a buffer of cheap materials before I start mining.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if they changed the pirate spawning radius for haz res sites? I'm more than 15 km out, but still getting a lot of traffic...

Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    On an unrelated note, does anyone know if they changed the pirate spawning radius for haz res sites? I'm more than 15 km out, but still getting a lot of traffic...
    If you've ever gone to an extraction site to do bounty hunting you should know that spawn frequency is a little different every time you create a new instance.

It can be really quite or rather packed.

It's been a while, my last mining run i mostly worked away from res sites. I like mining in a Type-9, but fighting off a wing of clippers or equivalent is difficult.

I can run easily enough, but jumping back in would just spawn more pirates..

imo limpets still need some work programming wise...

say you only want to collect high temp diamonds, or any other materials for that matter.

your current choice is to either fire one limpet per fragment / material required before your limpet expires, or collect everything and filter it out in the refinery (doesn't work for materials)

in the year 3303 we cant program limpets to only collect "X"

that and their flying pattern is ridiculous, but this can be solved by positioning your ship

credits wise you can earn some decent coin, but it is still a low credit / hr career compared with others.

Apart from a button that allows bins to be 'fixed' for a given material and then automatically disposes of any unwanted materials, mining seems fine to me?

Alright, minerals stalling collector limpets is super annoying. It is way too easy to miss the "material storage full" warning. Half way through, you'll wonder why it's taking so long when you've got 8 active limpets. Of course, it's because 5 of them are holding iron or carbon.

True!

z33r0x
    Materials (& data) cap at it's current level is a bind for everyone, that's not a mining issue (directly).
    Re 500% prospector limpets, yeah that'd be nice! LOl , but let's be honest, that would be rather excessive .

Limpets completely halts? I've not had that, what do you mean?

Originally Posted by YinYin View Post (Source)
    I'm not sharing that here
    Lol, yeah I hadn't meant you to give me an exact description of that, rushed written just before going to work , was just after a vague idea of what it was about, & I have no intention of trying out the exploit.
    THARGOID/US CANDIDATE SYSTEMS SEARCH LIST & criteria (WIP)
    i7 4930k @4.1 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1866, G/byte HD 7970 3 GB, (128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3TB & 1TB HDD)
    Team AnandTech - SETI@Home, Muon1, Folding@H, MilkyWay@H, Asteroids@H, Rosetta@H, Skynet-POGS, LHC@H & Einstein@H - helping science with my PC.
    Commander Mark P D......

Originally Posted by z33r0x View Post (Source)
    Mining still useless and broken?

I wasn't aware it was supposed to be useless and broken.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast