Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 202

Thread: Current PVP meta...

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    This is an interesting comment; as a PvP beginner, my impression is that 4-0-2 adds WAY more survivability than 0-4-2 - by a long margin. That is, unless your opponent is using slow (e.g. non-Long Range) Plasma, then it makes sense - I guess that boosting sideways while rolling would make you a VERY hard-to-hit target with fixed weapons.

    But the new thing for me, was pairing this with a Bi-Weave shield: as a matter of fact, the only duel I lost (not that I had many...) in the past couple of weeks was against deZpe, who packed Bi-Weaves. Food for thought...
    TS does a vid on gimballed lasers in PvP that would answer this perfectly.

    FA-Off Evasion tanking, remembering chaff is still totally viable, can be very effective on ships - especially smaller vessels or those with a smaller hit profile from the front (e.g. ferdie)

    I personally wouldn't run with bi-weaves on a FDL, because I still wouldn't expect to avoid any hits at all for reasonably over 10 seconds a go. But that's part of my general philosophy...create your ship to easily beat weaker enemies and that's what they'll do. Build it to take on someone with a skill advantage and you'll stand a chance against those better

    I'll even run 0/4/2 on my iCutter when FA Off if I can swing into a nice position and start a strong strafe. But I'd go back to 4/0/2 when taking heavy DPS. All situational, bro.
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

  2. #47
    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    I see you asking how to get higher than 30%, which you called the max, and is not.

    No-one suggested you can get above 30% without secondaries. You've made that up. You need the secondaries, but that is indeed how you get the higher speeds.[/*
    I didn't say it was the 'Max', I said it was the max without a bonus which it is,
    Yes they did, below:

    Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Oh, sweet summer child...

    On mobile now, when I get back I will explain on more detail.
    In Reply to this

    "How can anyone have a combat build faster than that and call 500 slow? I have 30% (max on dirty drives)"
    Which is what I said, except he missed out my next sentence saying I also had +12, implying there was a way to get more than 30% without a secondary.






    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    Dude, I need some of what you're taking. *shrugs*
    And what do you mean by that,
    Everything here is true "Thats why your answer makes no sense I literally said those exact things in my first post because I already know that, so why bother pointing it out again?

    Do I really need to quote myself?"

    1. You tried to make it look like I didn't know it could go over 30%, said this in my first post so obviously knew that
    2. You kept pointing it out when I had already said those things
    3. Your just trying to troll me now

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    This is an interesting comment; as a PvP beginner, my impression is that 4-0-2 adds WAY more survivability than 0-4-2 - by a long margin. That is, unless your opponent is using slow (e.g. non-Long Range) Plasma, then it makes sense - I guess that boosting sideways while rolling would make you a VERY hard-to-hit target with fixed weapons.

    But the new thing for me, was pairing this with a Bi-Weave shield: as a matter of fact, the only duel I lost (not that I had many...) in the past couple of weeks was against deZpe, who packed Bi-Weaves. Food for thought...
    Lol, deZpe is undoubtedly 'one to watch' ... seriously good FdL pilot still relatively new to PvP, o7 ... but I think you'll find that Ferdie pilots of his ability level are quite shockingly good at juggling Sys and Eng pips ... so they almost manage to use 4 pip tanking and boost evasion at the same time! Many of the SDC guys and also longtime greats like BreakfastMelon and Morbad are awesome at this.
    Federal Vigilante PvP Executioner Friend and Supporter of Adle's Armada

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    TS does a vid on gimballed lasers in PvP that would answer this perfectly.

    FA-Off Evasion tanking, remembering chaff is still totally viable, can be very effective on ships - especially smaller vessels or those with a smaller hit profile from the front (e.g. ferdie)
    Yes, I saw that. 0-4-2 shieldless hull tank FdL with Chaff galore and only gimballed pulses... why didn't I think of that before!
    I don't use it because it wouldn't be fun, I think only a ridiculously skilled Plasma user or a lot of rails would counter that.

    Originally Posted by Truesilver View Post (Source)
    Lol, deZpe is undoubtedly 'one to watch' ... seriously good FdL pilot still relatively new to PvP, o7 ... but I think you'll find that Ferdie pilots of his ability level are quite shockingly good at juggling Sys and Eng pips ... so they almost manage to use 4 pip tanking and boost evasion at the same time! Many of the SDC guys and also longtime greats like BreakfastMelon and Morbad are awesome at this.
    That is one of the lessons I gathered from that encounter. Which is why I am remapping my pips controls to be able to get to ANY configuration with multiples of 2 from ANY other configuration with no more than two flicks. T.A.R.G.E.T. Script Editor FTW!
    My Glorious Flightstation
    CMDR Herbrand - FA Off Trainee - HTC Vive user

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    T.A.R.G.E.T. Script Editor FTW!
    I am glad SOMEONE likes the TARGET software.

    If I ever need cheering up though, I just look up what it stands for, and remind myself how bad their marketing team was at creating acronyms.
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

  6. #51
    Truesilver, thanks for your valued input, though now I'm back to square 1 completely. Again, let me digest what you wrote and get back to you in a bit. worth mentioning though, in case you missed it, I'm an instinctive pip fiddler, it's almost muscle memory, I'm *that* guy that seems to have full weapons pips when firing and full shield pips when taking damage, cos that always seemed like the smart thing to do. I almost don't have to think about it any more. I also wouldn't be firing the beam and the PAs in the same encounter. Either it will be a non pvp spec ship, and therefore I will use the beam only to avoid wasting PA ammo, or it will be a pvp specced ship and I would focus on hitting with the PAs. But now you mentioned that people can avoid them, I am reminded that I too can avoid them when the NPCs use them, even at point blank range, strafe rolling makes them trivial to avoid while still doing alpha in their face, so yeh, perhaps I will go full lasers, maybe rapid fire burst or pulse with a nasty secondary...

    I'm glad I started this conversation with a number of weeks still to go before actually doing this build and engineering it. lol. Seems I'm going to be going back and forth on this more than once!
    Who the hell are you? I called for the lord of flatulence, not one of his discharges. - John Constantine

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post (Source)
    Truesilver, thanks for your valued input, though now I'm back to square 1 completely. Again, let me digest what you wrote and get back to you in a bit.
    Ha ha - now I feel bad. You can theory craft too much in this game. There's something to be said for just throwing something you like the look of together and going and incurring some rebuys. That's how us 'greybeards' actually learned, originally ... personally I first deployed an FdL in PvP in June 2015 with creds for three rebuys, and went back to trade grinding for more creds once I'd used my money up (it didn't take long...)

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post (Source)
    I'm glad I started this conversation with a number of weeks still to go before actually doing this build and engineering it. lol. Seems I'm going to be going back and forth on this more than once!
    It happens.

    My personal advice: build a couple of ships that share most of their core modules so you can keep it fresh. You don't have to be on the same loadout from the moment you build the ship to the day you hang your Elite hat up. I haven't used my FDL in some time; I stopped maintaining it and get in my iClipper, FGS or FAS frequently, as well as the odd stint in a Python. They all share the same thrusters, so I only need to worry about that hassle the once. But each of them is a fairly different experience to fight in.

    There's a lot to be said for not going too overboard with engineering before you get involved. You might want to try some stock duels just to see what works for you.
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

  9. #54
    Reminder that personal insults, harassment, and badgering are not allowed. Such posts will be moderated.

  10. #55
    Lots of great advice here.
    Favourited.

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by Truesilver View Post (Source)
    Ha ha - now I feel bad. You can theory craft too much in this game. There's something to be said for just throwing something you like the look of together and going and incurring some rebuys. That's how us 'greybeards' actually learned, originally ... personally I first deployed an FdL in PvP in June 2015 with creds for three rebuys, and went back to trade grinding for more creds once I'd used my money up (it didn't take long...)
    How's the Python in PvP? Just curious, is it theoretically possible to fly one at the top level?

    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    It happens.

    My personal advice: build a couple of ships that share most of their core modules so you can keep it fresh. You don't have to be on the same loadout from the moment you build the ship to the day you hang your Elite hat up. I haven't used my FDL in some time; I stopped maintaining it and get in my iClipper, FGS or FAS frequently, as well as the odd stint in a Python. They all share the same thrusters, so I only need to worry about that hassle the once. But each of them is a fairly different experience to fight in.

    There's a lot to be said for not going too overboard with engineering before you get involved. You might want to try some stock duels just to see what works for you.
    I think you're right. I'm going to have to build a few ships and see. Cos I loved my FAS and I hear it's also a good pvp ship, I love my python too, and I want to try the FDL. I may end up somewhere else completely. I'll be back with some thoughts in an hour or so (or probably sooner, knowing me, but I need to catch up on MOTD2 first anyway, one of few curses of living in Greece, I miss the footy!).
    Who the hell are you? I called for the lord of flatulence, not one of his discharges. - John Constantine

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post (Source)
    How's the Python in PvP? Just curious, is it theoretically possible to fly one at the top level?
    Certainly, provided it's flown backwards.

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post (Source)
    How's the Python in PvP? Just curious, is it theoretically possible to fly one at the top level?
    Erm.

    It feels very weird to use this term for something so big and with space for HRPs, but it's a glass cannon.

    Being big is WHY it's a glass cannon though. It doesn't have a great speed, is propelling a huge brick that's remarkably easy to hit, and if your shields drop then your attacker basically gets to sit down like a fat kid and point out which of your modules he gets to eat first.

    I always wondered why the ship gets such disgusting firepower, but at least the bulk takes an edge off its PvP ability. In PvE I regard it as perhaps the strongest ship outside the big 3; in PvP...well it's excellent if you want to surprise a single enemy and pour dat unholy DPS on them. I'd probably rather pilot a sidewinder into winged PvP, though.
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    Erm.

    easy to hit
    I kinda knew it, again that's what makes the NPC ones a preferred target of mine. Shame, cos I'm very comfortable in mine. Plus, based on what Truesilver said, I'm not into fighting backwards as a main strategy, just as something to use situationally.
    Who the hell are you? I called for the lord of flatulence, not one of his discharges. - John Constantine

  15. #60
    Instead of the FDL, get a FAS, its more maneuverable, half the rebuy (4mil).
    Good weapons would be 4 PAs or 4 Frags.
    Bi weave shields with thermal resist and 2 boosters and 2 heat sinks.

    Armoured plant, 1 MRP and rest HRPS heavy duty. Military armour also heavy duty.

    If you dont like pip management, remove the shield and boosters, 4 heat sinks for silent running 100% and put another HRP instead of the shield, keep pips to 0-4-2 or 0-3-3.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast