Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Atmospheric Worlds. A Start?

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    People initially thought the rocky worlds were amazing but given enough time they complained that they were bland.
    If ELW's with jungles and little else are released, I would predict a similar response.
    There has to be a meaningful and compelling reason for them to exist and for players to want to visit them other than "It looks cool"
    Whilst I get what you are saying, I can and do, quite happily sit, sweeping over planetary rings, getting as close as I can and still be in supercruse, rolling side on and watching the planet roll past overhead, in VR listening to something like Loss Aversion by Carbon based life-forms, and grinning from ear to ear, simple because it looks so cool. There are things in the game that don't really do anything, and yet, make for very rewarding experiences.

Originally Posted by Saool View Post (Source)
    Whilst I get what you are saying, I can and do, quite happily sit, sweeping over planetary rings, getting as close as I can and still be in supercruse, rolling side on and watching the planet roll past overhead, in VR listening to something like Loss Aversion by Carbon based life-forms, and grinning from ear to ear, simple because it looks so cool. There are things in the game that don't really do anything, and yet, make for very rewarding experiences.
    Why get excited over pictures from Pluto? Hubble shots of far away nebulae? Detection of gravity waves and NS colliding? Can you cook an omelette with em?

I would say that when designing a world with an atmosphere you need to be clever about it.

Basically you can hide stuff in 3 layers, first layer would be high mountains where the base is covered with clouds. Then areas with dense vegetation, then water and on top of all that cloud layers.

Big cities could be controlled by flight restrictions, you enter the zone, then you ask for landing clearance when received you must active the docking computer and it will take you down.

If you disengage the DC you will get shot down. This way no one can do funny stuff in the cities and the illusion will be intact.

by the way, to those wondering whether realistic ELWs are possible (for unrealistic ones, don't look further than NMS), check out the Outtera/Anteworld demo/sandbox ( http://www.outerra.com/ ).

Originally Posted by Saool View Post (Source)
    Oh, yeah... I feel the same. I can simply fly over for a while, just admiring the sky, rolling between ring ice, mapping some weird planets. Very rewarding experiences, by themselves.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011