Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anaconda as exploration ship

Anaconda as exploration ship

Any reasons not to take a anaconda out exploring?

Originally Posted by Biggbudd View Post (Source)
    Expensive. That's the only ding I can think of. Fully kitted out with SRV and SLF, redundant AFMS, Advanced Discovery Scanner and Planetary Surface Scanner, etc., etc. it's pricey. The Annie is a great ship for "big" exploring though. o7

If you want range well above 60 Ly, it's the ship to give it to you.

Sluggish SC turning rate, however.

Try before you commit to long term exploration with her. Fly the ship you're happy flying.

Love my Annie, wouldn't change her for anything.
    Cmdr Aura Lorell (Active) -- Cmdr Rhea Lorell (Inactive)

You can't afford one.
    You can afford one but you don't like flying them.
    You can afford one, you like to fly it but you just don't feel like using it this time.
    The magic moon at the end of the Perseus Arm promised to show you a secret if you came back in a T9.
    CMDR Cruento Mucrone - somewhere out there in my Cobra Silence Unbounded, Python (Unapologetic) Lifer For Rock And Roll​ or Clipper Anar Kaluva Tielyanna ...
    That or contributing to EDDiscovery - the essential explorer's companion - get it at https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/releases

is it worth waiting for 2.4 before I leave? I heard something about hull repair abilities?

its not a Dolphin

Manuverability mostly.
    Never been an issue for me (mostly because i've used an anaconda for 4000 hours now) but i've seen others get annoyed by it.
    Beta backer - 28th to ever reach elite in exploration - Your source of "back in the good old days"

I've put 60K+ in exploration Anaconda. My biggest complaint is the slow pitch rate. Yaw and rotation are fine...but RNGsus forbid you overshoot the target and that loop of shame takes a long time. I just recently left my Anaconda parked up at Colonia Dream suicidewindered back to the bubble to take my AspEx out. Two days of being back in the AspEx feels like I've dumped the garbage scow and picked up a Ferrari.

The Anaconda can fit a fighter hangar, also...there's that to keep in mind for canyon flying or general toodling about that your main ship either won't or can't fit into.

Huge open ended question with huge open ended answer.
    I personally prefer the Annie for many reasons. Have used pretty much all ships to explore in by means of a comparison (the exceptions being Fed Corvette FDS, FGS, FAS and Cutter).

Annie personally will always be my go to explorer. I used one on Distant Worlds exped pre engineering and she did me proud. Post engineers I have a 63Ly ranged ship fully fuelled at 65ly max with SRV and all the trimmings. I can fit a fighter bay and fighter and still have a 61ly range.

Exploration is more than raw range and the anaconda delivers that "more than" factor in spades.
    For now. Lets see what 2.4 brings.

Supercruise agility, or rather lack thereof.

However when I get back from Beagle I'm taking mine out again because I'm going to need jump range.

Originally Posted by GunnerBill View Post (Source)
    Supercruise agility, or rather lack thereof.
    That's precisely what I like about mine. I've not been on any long trip in Gargantua - a little jaunt of maybe 4k - but I really like the fact you can't throw it around. It's a huge ship; it should (and does) feel stately.
    Exploring and that. Some writing. Lots of talking.

Sagittarius Eye magazine: http://www.sagittariuseyes.com/

Originally Posted by Whitmann View Post (Source)
    That's precisely what I like about mine. I've not been on any long trip in Gargantua - a little jaunt of maybe 4k - but I really like the fact you can't throw it around. It's a huge ship; it should (and does) feel stately.
    Yes I'm always slightly disappointed that there aren't brass bands playing and small children waving flags at the docks when I leave port in mine!

Yeah DBE is ok range wise but its still a cramped shoebox of a ship with crappy internals. Like I say Annie is the exploration king on range, size and internal capacity she FEELS like an exploration ship. The DBE feels like the lifeboat from the Alien Movie.

But then again DBE is unashamedly a budget end exploration ship. Its advertised as such ergo it will naturally always feel a bit crappy. It's a ship I find very hard to love and trust me I've been to SagA* and back in a DBE 4 times.

I suppose if you want a cheap exploration ship then yeah go DBE. But weren't we discussing the Anaconda? Yep back on topic....

Preference and individual sentiment of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast