Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOTAS KickStarter - We Desperately Need One

HOTAS KickStarter - We Desperately Need One

Just sayin. I'd back it.

I'd love to do it if I knew how.

For what though? an Elite specific stick for PC or for the PS4/XB1?

Not ED specific.

PC, but no reason it couldn't be used for consoles as well (or slightly separate versions - whatever).

Maybe I should have added "for VR".

My problem is that everything out their is junk. The kickstarter would be for an ergonomically designed adjustable HOTAS with high quality components that really work and are accurate.

An old mate has just come round with some Jack Daniels, so it could be that; but I don't understand what this thread is about.

Originally Posted by Avago Ero View Post (Source)
    An old mate has just come round with some Jack Daniels, so it could be that; but I don't understand what this thread is about.
    OP feels that current existing HOTAS on offer out there does not meet his needs, thus he is proposing a to have someone make a new HOTAS.

Originally Posted by Cliché View Post (Source)
    The kickstarter would be for an ergonomically designed adjustable HOTAS with high quality components that really work and are accurate.
    You'd be looking at a couple million EUR/USD minimum, for a product that would sell very few units at a high price.

Supposedly Thrustmaster are working on a new high-end HOTAS (i.e. Warthog level, possibly to succeed it) but it's a couple of years away yet.

Originally Posted by Cliché View Post (Source)
    My problem is that everything out their is junk. ...............
    CHProducts

Warthog

Originally Posted by MalcYorks View Post (Source)
    CHProducts

Warthog
    This.

I bought the Warthog two years ago - just for ED its fantastic. The only down side I would point out is that I personally don't like the 'split' throttle (it has a 'locking' pin but its not 'rock solid' I'm thinking about adding a metal plate across the throttle to fix this). Lots of people complain about the lack of yaw but I use the 'nipple' on the throttle and it works really well for yaw (well for me anyway).

I wanted to try the CHProducts kit but could not find anywhere. Everyone who uses it says its great, I'm thinking about buying the throttle to see how it works with the warthog joystick if my metal plate idea does not work out.

The point is there are 2 really good quality options out there already, so I would not back a kick-starter for this unless it was something ED specific.

I've bought 5 CH products over the years (decades). Flight Stick, Fighter Stick, Combat Stick, Throttle - loved them all, but they all ended up in the trash when the game port went away - and recently the Pro Throttle USB. The Pro Throttle's mini stick is garbage, never returns to zero, and needs a big dead zone - but it's better than nothing or having it located so you need to use your index finger. And I have a serious problem with USB disconnects that CH says Window's needs to fix and that USB cards and powered hubs have not solved.

The Warthog doesn't have a twist axis and the throttle has all this stuff which is probably great if you have an A-10 sim pit and monitors, but I don't think it, or current Saitek products, are very VR friendly. I can't use rudder pedals, and I think any high end product should include a twist axis with the option to lock it if you don't want it.

I'm a product designer by trade, and though I think it would be expensive to design and produce, but I'm sure it could be done for well under a million (w/o creating a whole new company for it). But yeah, it's probably a pipe dream and will never happen. I just wish these companies didn't try to save 20 cents by using inferior components.

If you haven't tried it already, calibrating the ministick while holding it off-center might allow for a slightly reduced deadzone. Have a feeling I may have used pencil dust to reduce he stiction.

Haven't found a solution for the USB disconnects.

The ministick on the CH throttle is the same hardware as is used in pretty much all major gamepads, that part has a ~5% (relative to full travel) tolerance on centring, and so do pretty much all comparable components in that size- and price range that I could find.

The USB disconnects on the throttle are caused by really bad EMI issues, if you have any static discharge near the unit, its USB connection will break for a split-second.

I use a CHPro setup and I also have twist-stick(s) on / for a secondary computer - I just hate the twist now that I have got so used to the Fighterstick with the pinky button as a press-to-hold yaw-to-roll button, so much more control! (I don't even use the pedals any more except in flight simulators.)

I don't find the CHPro Throttle mini-stick centre to be an issue, the dead-zone setting I have doesn't seem big to me.

I have no USB disconnect issues at all but I am on W7 pro (64bit) and don't use any CH software nor Thrustmaster software for my MFDs.

Why, you can get what you want out there today! there are many places where you can order the design of your HOTAS more or less.

Originally Posted by taotoo View Post (Source)
    If you haven't tried it already, calibrating the ministick while holding it off-center might allow for a slightly reduced deadzone. Have a feeling I may have used pencil dust to reduce he stiction.

Haven't found a solution for the USB disconnects.
    Yeah, maybe I should take mine apart and see if I can get it working better. I do have graphite and powdered teflon which may do the trick. I can also see about tightening up the slide and adding a center detent.

So you do have a problem with the USB disconnects? I'd asked several people that say they use the CH throttle and nobody else has reported a problem. I guess my problems actually started when I upgraded to Win 10, come to think of it. But I don't want to go back to Win 7 as I think there are, or will soon be, performance issues with VR that will require Win 10.

@Shadowdancer. My mini stick is way worse than 5%, but maybe I can fix that. It's not too bad if I let is snap back, but if I ease it back it is horrible.

@MalcYorks. I wish my T-16000m had a pinky button. I've never tried the yaw-to-roll, but I think I may experiment with it.

@Lyasnder. Yeah, I'm sure that's not too expensive at all, but I guess I'll have a look - never heard of them before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast