Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analyzing the Asp Scout - Why does it have it's WEIRD stats.

I guess it could make a decent salvage ship chasing USSes in SC and PoIs on planets. You can fit the full exploration suite and get 32t of cargo if you stick with a 4a fuel scoop. Got to test how well it does picking up things in space with the cargo scoop only.

Asp scout, cobra 4, keelback, viper 4. Soul-less variants to fill the ships update back then. I would keep only the viper 4 maybe.

Originally Posted by Maro-Val View Post (Source)
    Asp scout, cobra 4, keelback, viper 4. Soul-less variants to fill the ships update back then.
    Keelback, soulless?

Originally Posted by Maro-Val View Post (Source)
    Asp scout, cobra 4, keelback, viper 4. Soul-less variants to fill the ships update back then. I would keep only the viper 4 maybe.
    The MkIV fills a niche at least since it's the cheapest multirole with the largest amount of optional internals under 1 million.

EDIT: And the Keelback is the smallest ship that holds a fighter if I remember correctly...but only has 1 crew...
    CMDR: Thomas Ramirez

I think the Asp Scout is quite a good ship as part of a progression however it is I feel just a bit too expensive. It should cost around 2-2.5MCr, as by the time you can afford it, you soon can afford better ships. It also loses out a bit against the DBX now that's been improved.

PvE - IronMan - One Life - One Death - Current CMDR : Chimwemwe Gwynn

Originally Posted by Wyaston Hypatia View Post (Source)
    I think the Asp Scout is quite a good ship as part of a progression however it is I feel just a bit too expensive. It should cost around 2-2.5MCr, as by the time you can afford it, you soon can afford better ships. It also loses out a bit against the DBX now that's been improved.
    Either make it less expensive or give it the full amount of hardpoints of the AspX.

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    Either make it less expensive or give it the full amount of hardpoints of the AspX.
    Or give it around 50m/s more speed.

That'd be nice - make it less of the big-butted drift pig that the Asp X is so that it becomes a lot more worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Vardaugas View Post (Source)
    Or give it around 50m/s more speed.
    Giving it 50 more speed would make it faster than the Cobra MkIII and i do not think it should be that.

The Asp Scout is not a bad little ship, it just has the wrong price.

A lot of Commanders, when they're looking to make their first big ship purchase out of a Sidewinder or Eagle, are looking for something that they can do a little bit of everything with, light bounty hunting, cargo hauling, exploration, mining, etc, until they figure out what they like most and then buy a specialized ship for it. I was one of those. I call these type of ships Light Multipurpose, and I looked at the Cobra Mk III, the Viper Mk IV, and the Asp Scout. I ended up trying to decide between the Viper and Cobra, and settled on the Cobra because I was uninterested in the Viper's better combat skills and the Cobra was cheaper.

So this is the comparison I made, using a light multipurpose build focused toward long distance trading and beginner's level exploration, with the ability to dogfight my way out of an interdiction.

Cobra Mk III
    Viper Mk IV
    Asp Scout

Some things that stand out comparing the three in this type of build:
    -The Cobra is the fastest in a straight line, and the cheapest.
    -The Viper is the best armored and shielded, but is the least maneuverable
    -The Asp was double the cargo space of the other two, is the slowest but most maneuverable, is better armored and shielded than the Cobra, and has the highest unladen jumprange of the three.

Now here's the problem. The entry price of the three is:
    -Cobra Mk III: 349,720 cr
    -Viper Mk IV: 437,930 cr
    -Asp Scout: 3,961,150 cr!!!

So when I was looking at these ships, the only thing that deterred me from the Scout was the price tag. When my funds would be at that point, I'd be seriously considering moving on to a Diamondback Explorer, or saving up the funds to upgrade to an Asp Explorer. So to sum up, the only thing wrong with the Asp Scout is the price tag. If it was more competitively priced, I think it could give the Cobra III and Viper IV a little competition.

True fans of the Asp Scout know the Distributor is main character of this story. The reasons it wipes the floor with the Cobra and other 2med/2sm setups are the already mentioned maneuverability along WITH the Size 4 distributor. The CM4 has an extra small hardpoint and still packs a Size 3.

The distributor gives the Asp Scout its girth.

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    Giving it 50 more speed would make it faster than the Cobra MkIII and i do not think it should be that.
    Why not?

It's 30t lighter than a Cobra 3 and uses the same thrusters and PP.
    Seems like it should, logically, be faster than a Cobra.
    The only reason it isn't would seem to be because FDev have applied some kind of fiddle-factor to nerf it.

Course, if somebody has a good reason why a lighter ship should be slower than a heavier one which uses the same thrusters, I'd love to hear it.

Nobody is going to give you one that gets us there. It doesn't add up. Put on military grade for both, and extra weight for sensors and distributor and you make up the 30, but not nearly enough to explain the 50 speed

Maybe internals mass vs hull mass would impact thrust, who knows.

TBH I'd like to see the ASP-S hardpoints changed to 6 smalls!

I quite the like the ship. It is more flexible that the cobra III and with the class 4 PD, hardness and cool running it does have some really good points. The agility for me is great as I fly FA-off all the time so drift isn't an issue.
    CMDR Madrax573

Praeliator of the dark places!

Come check out the daft FA-off pilots!

Discord - https://discord.gg/EN39rcP

Or my really bad FA-off vids

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZ...VXvEUGfJyvmXCg

I never owned one, due to all the better suited ships mentioned in this thread.

But I always wanted to try out every ship in the game and now I've bought and (halve-way) outfitted an Asp Scout as my "Light Thargoid-Interaction-Ship".

- The large jump range was one reason for this idea, as I expect the hotspot outside the bubble.
    - The class 4 PD was another reason for it, as I wanted to stick to energy weapons (few restock possibilities out there). They will obviously be replaced with dedicated anti-Thargoid weapons when available.
    - A class 4 Prismatic Shield leaves room for a class 5 fuel scoop - even faster traveling!
    - The class 3 SCB doesn't refill the shield at all, but what can you do?
    - I could use a second SCB, but the second class 3 compartment is occupied by an AFMU. It might be needed out there.
    - Reinforced Alloy is a compromise between jump-range and protection and will be engineered as soon as somebody finds out how to temper bulkheads against caustic damage.

It's not a heavy damage dealer, but I'll see how well he does - and if he doesen't, at least the rebuy is cheap!
    ◄ Furthermore, I consider that 1st class cabins should be limited to dedicated passenger ships and Carthage must be destroyed. ►

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast