Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question of the week: Like tears in the rain?

Song hint: "Like tears in the rain" & "Ice on a desert plain" are the clues for the correct song
    Shouldn't be to hard, I've posted the song/video on these very forums...

Dear Tj,

Sorry if my thread leads to the return of the night terrors but I figured you'd had it to easy for to long. So consider this a reminder for yourself, Mr Phillips & Maynard and even the unicorn bloke... I'm back - In small doses though

P.S. Aunty, I have not forgotten the state of war that exists between us so be warned...

Never incur the wrath of the Mods!

The problem with the DDF was one of expectation.
    It was bore from the desire to discuss ideas but became a wish list that everyone believed would 100% exist at some point.
    Being able to discuss or post and idea does not imbue someone with the inalienable right to own it.

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    It was bore from the desire to discuss ideas but became a wish list that everyone believed would 100% exist at some point.
    Being able to discuss or post and idea does not imbue someone with the inalienable right to own it.
    Very true indeed. Do you suspect that Frontier already have a road map in place for the upgrades that will be revealed to us in some manner as and when right to do so?

Cool to see ye back again bran...genuinely mean that.

As fer the topic itself...m8 its a pointless question because the one thing that would most certainly improve things just happens to be the one thing they are horribly bad at...communication. Ergo, threads like this becomes a literal echo chamber of players fighting amongst themselves over semantics.

They have been asked directly many times, and many times they have ignored the questions entirely with the thread getting flooded by how players shouldnt feel so entitled to expect an answer.

Frontier will do as frontier has always done...exactly as they please while ignoring everything else.

Ill sit on the sidelines and watch...caring is just too stressful ^
    M8 who ye talking to?
    Nobody.
    So who am I talking to?
    Me.
    Wha....?

I still don't know what a DDF is, but as for how they should approach these updates.. it's seems rather a nebulous question. And I really don't care how these releases are made, so long as they are made and in something that resembles a timely fashion.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    I still don't know what a DDF is, but as for how they should approach these updates.. it's seems rather a nebulous question. And I really don't care how these releases are made, so long as they are made and in something that resembles a timely fashion.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I'm curious to see the directions development is focused now that all the major platforms have been released.(PC, XBox, PS4) What will development focus on after the Horizons season is over?

Originally Posted by Bran Tse Mallory View Post (Source)
    Bonus points for the first to spot the correct song reference.
    I doubt I'm the first, but it is the closing sequence from Blade Runner, a film that was years ahead of its time and I frequently watch. At least, that is the only reference that springs to my mind (and actually the only reason I looked at this thread ). Track in the film is by Vangelis (as most are).

EDIT: Ah, the other clues you've dropped imply that it is nothing to do with Blade Runner. Never mind. It should be.
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

Originally Posted by Bran Tse Mallory View Post (Source)
    Bonus points for the first to spot the correct song reference.
    huh, I thought it was a Bladerunner reference....

edit: appears I wasnt the only one....
    Started with a Commodore 64, a tape deck and TV. Starting to show my age.
    Click here to see my screenshot album

I'm in the UK, which is currently UTC+1

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    That's really a very simplified way to look at it, but convenient of course. I mean who would go back and actually check that, seeing as it's 3-4 years ago now.
    The ideas discussed there were inserted by FD devs themselves, with many individual threads on very specific topics.
    It was not just some suggestion forum or think tank were backers were shooting the breeze.
    And no, not "everyone believed those ideas would 100% exist at some point", you're belittling big spending backers as if they didn't know that.
    And the expectations didn't just spring from out of the earth or something. The game was being designed at the time, and FD sharing their ideas reasonably lead people to believe that the ideas they posted would make it into the game, to a fair degree at least.
    Let me encourage you to spend some time reading through the DDA, and notice how much of it hasn't made it, almost 3 years down the line....and with the probability that it never will, because the game turned out entirely different.
    I wasn't part of that discussion forum, but i read quite a bit of it. In the end it was a major factor to make my buying decision.
    So, it's always funny, and oh so predictable, seeing the burden being laid on "over-expecting" customers, when the game makers do their utmost to fuel those expectations, because that makes all those shiny bucks roll into their coffers.
    The problem with the DDF wasn't one of expectation, it was one of a developer biting more off then they could chew.

"...series of warm blinks strung along a chain of winter". Neuromancer quote, but fitting anyway.

O7,

CMDR The Lawful | Elite Noob.

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I doubt I'm the first, but it is the closing sequence from Blade Runner, a film that was years ahead of its time and I frequently watch. At least, that is the only reference that springs to my mind (and actually the only reason I looked at this thread ). Track in the film is by Vangelis (as most are).

EDIT: Ah, the other clues you've dropped imply that it is nothing to do with Blade Runner. Never mind. It should be.
    The song uses Rutger's speech at the start along with Vangelis' soundtrack which it then builds upon.

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney View Post (Source)
    huh, I thought it was a Bladerunner reference....

edit: appears I wasnt the only one....
    Sorry for any confusion - Before the end of the day I will post a link to the music which would not be out of place in the film either

+rep for opening this thread and putting this topic up for discussion.

But honestly I think that Frontier shouldn't listen to these forums anymore. It seems that only a small portion of the community is still active here. And this minority - in my opinion - has absolutely no clue what game design is all about. Occasionally I see a new thread with a great proposal and then 10 pages with replies full of forks and torches. It seems that this forum _only_ wants a 1984 Elite with fancy graphics.

Take the old DDF? Yeah. Great ideas in there. Plenty of cool multiplayer features, a rich economy and tools for the players.
    Ask the forums now? Hell no.

Ahh.. an Archived Forum... dead nearly as long as The Guardians....

And yet, still, somehow, made relevant by the fact it once existed. Gotcha.

As long as they don't listen to the humans on this forum I'll be happy. Why listen to a segment of a segment? There are plenty of posters that where active at launch that don't post here anymore but I see them on other platforms. It's not that they got banned, they just got tired of some of the toxic factions that live here.
    I don't particularly care what they work on next as long as what's released is not another token placeholder to just check something off of the list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast