Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering iCourier

Engineering iCourier

Ok the courier is a fun ship and I'm working on engineering it for combat. PVE and mild PVP if someone picks a fight with me

I'm thinking of either one or 2 packhound missile racks on it with increasing the max ammo, and either twin pulse or a single beam. What special effect would I be aiming for on these weapons?

Also should I use enhanced thruster or regular thrusters with dirty drive?. The icourier clearly is a shield machine so should I aim for resistance boosters and a reinforced shield? Prismatic shields at first appear to be a good option but with the enhanced drives it might be worse off.

Any advice on this ship would be greatly appreciated!

Shields: Biweave all the way, engineered for thermal resist. I also recommend 2 resist augmented E class shield boosters (A class are too heavy and E gives just as much resistance ). Prismatics are too heavy for too little bonus, besides you will get way more survivability out of the faster charge of a c3 biweave.

For lasers, if you use a pulse i recommend the scramble spectrum and emissive special fx. SS has a chance to randomly mess with your opponent's systems (like making his distributor reassign pips randomly), emissive directly counters silent running.

Also, the courier has room for a class 4 powerplant. Don't use a c4, a c3 is plenty and some builds use a class 2. Remember, weight is your biggest enemy. Consider downsizing your FSD as well, as well as D grade sensors and life support. With DD5 enhanced drives, shedding one ton will yield about 10m/s more boost. A lot of lightweight combat couriers have speeds anywhere from 640 (heavy build) to over 800!

I hope you enjoy the courier as I do. Most fun combat ship IMO.

I don't recommend more than 1 missile launcher. Missiles, even with hicap, run out ammo quickly. For high capacity missile launchers, I recommend spamming grade 1 until you get one with max (or near max) ammo and minimum weight increase. A grade 5 high cap weapon will be VERY heavy, and weight is your biggest enemy when outfitting a courier.

DD5 enhanced drives all the way. Speed is king in this ship.

Thankyou, I will get to work on this. Would you also stick with base hull armour and add lightweight modding to increase speed/hull even more? The courier has paper thin hull as is so increasing it seems wasteful and adding reinforcement adds weight.

Originally Posted by MegaFluffyMoose View Post (Source)
    Thankyou, I will get to work on this. Would you also stick with base hull armour and add lightweight modding to increase speed/hull even more? The courier has paper thin hull as is so increasing it seems wasteful and adding reinforcement adds weight.
    You can use whatever upgrade you want on the base armor and it won`t increase it`s weight, because base armor weight is 0, so yeah, using reinforced base armor is a good idea

Originally Posted by MegaFluffyMoose View Post (Source)
    What the previous poster said. Modify your lightweight alloys (which weigh 0) to taste. I recommend you modify against thermal weapons, because hitscan weapons will be your biggest enemy when you are hauling ace.

Edit: go HD on the armor, not thermal. I was thinking of reactive, not LW alloys.

Just a few tips from my own experience:

Buy a couple of EPT's when at Palin and take a lot of materials with you for a good few DD5 rolls....
    Due to the sensitive weight requirements, a little difference in % means a lot in performance.

Downgrade PP, fuel tank and personally, I went for a D grade FSD, but engineered it for range. ( I get bored with all the swapping modules stuff). Lightweight sensors (I'm using A grade l/w, got lucky on the minimum mass on the thrusters so I can afford this "luxury"), lightweight life support. Lightweight everything really, except weapons... no point having the speed and agility if you only hit like a butterfly!!!

I've done a limited amount of PvP in mine (the ship is a LOT better than me), some of the best fun I've had in game!

Edit: x2 D rated shield boosters, 1 thermal resist, 1 resistance aug, on size 2 reinforced bi-weaves.

An engineered iCourier is the most fun I've had in the game, but as everyone above has said speed is key and weight is the enemy.

I've engineered mine for PVE only and went for three lightweight medium PAs, full setup is here:
    https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/impe...al%20Lightning

When I head in to a CZ (normally high) I replace the ADS, DSS and fuel scoop with another 0E shield booster (resist aug), and either two 1D HRPs or one HRP and one MRP, both combinations run at exactly the minimum mass of the enhanced thrusters. When you roll the DD thrusters pay close attention to optimal mass as well as multiplier, my roll here (DD4) was better than any DD5 rolls I had due to the optimal mass, putting accurate figures in to Coriolis helps work this out.

Looking at Speedy's comment above I could save 9T on my build by shrinking fuel tank and D grade FSD which could give other interesting options, hmm....

Mine will be mainly fosuced on PVE. How effective is Scramble spectrum and emissive munitions on the AI ? I can see them being very effective for pvp but everyone knows the AI hacks the game.

I like the sound of a HRP so I will be throwing one on when I locate one. I can tell that building this into a death machine is going to come down to a RNG numbers game.

Scramble spectrum and emissive are not good for pve afaik. I'm not sure what sfx are good for pve.

Very interested to this - I'm just wondering how such a build would fare in a "real world" PvP scenario.

If I go with a "big shield" configuration, all I get is a smaller Fer-de-Lance: https://eddp.co/u/n5Rk71qq - does the speed makes _that much_ of a difference? Can you even use 2xPlasma with a size 3 Distributor?

Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Very interested to this - I'm just wondering how such a build would fare in a "real world" PvP scenario.

If I go with a "big shield" configuration, all I get is a smaller Fer-de-Lance: https://eddp.co/u/n5Rk71qq - does the speed makes _that much_ of a difference? Can you even use 2xPlasma with a size 3 Distributor?
    I've seen people with 3 efficient PAs, I've never tried it myself.

I am having so much fun in CZ and RES sites with my iCourier, such a great ship!

Here is the build I am using:
    https://eddp.co/u/FB4hNHSi

One might use class E shield boosters instead of D... I just wanted to squeeze a bit more juice from shields, to pass that 400 mark.

For eventual travel I just swap back class 3C fuel tank and 3A FSD, but I usually just transfer it to needed system as it is dirty cheap.

I took a look at your build, a couple of observations: since the optimal mass of a c3 shield is much higher than the mass of a courier, you don't gain a lot of advantage for such a heavy shield (c3 prismatic ). Also, your HD booster weighs 14tons! Use an E rated booster and you can still get north of 40% while weighing around 2 tons. Ditto for the other boosters. Yes, you will lose a little up front shielding but with more speed comes better lateral thrust, pitch, etc....to keep you from getting hit at all.

Evasion tanking can be a strength, bit that build doesn't play to the couriers strengths. I'd post mine but I'm relegated to mobile until next week.

Also, a c4 pp is overkill. You could go c3 and still have plenty of power.

If 550 boost is enough speed, you're better off in a FDL IMO.

Edit: If you are dead set on the ultimate shield build, you could keep your build as-is and add a pair of SCBs. I would recommend standard dd5s over EPTs, as a ship that heavy loses a lot of maneuverability with EPTs.

*cracks knuckles*

Right...I'll give some pointers. You need to work some of it out yourself though. iCourier is a terrible ship to give someone a cookie cutter build of.

Firstly, PE thrusters aren't even a question, and you need to watch your mass to support them. You'll need to become more familiar with small ship loadouts to become confident in PvP using them. Always use PE thrusters when available, always keep mass to a minimum. This means nothing like prismatic shields, which are evil for mass and power.

Despite the notion it's a shield tank, it is not. It's more accurately "a small ship that doesn't lose shields when you breathe on them". They are still weaker than a lot of medium combat ships. Treat the ship as something that should evade, but won't get peppered instantly if it gets caught.

Utility wise, I would personally consider using D-rated shield boosters. They keep mass and power use low, but have a good boost to mass ratio. Chaff is highly effective on this ship; if your opponent can hit a speeding iCourier easily with fixed weapons, you were going to lose that fight anyway, until you develop reasonable FA Off skills. Point defense isn't generally necessary, and neither are heat sinks, unless you have a very hot running build or choose to run SCBs (which I would heavily advise against).

Weapon wise, keep the weapons to low capacitor drain where possible. The iCourier rewards a pilot that can throw his pips around; if you need to sustain pips in weapons frequently it will really hurt this ship. I can put in a recommendation for a single rail on the bottom and two gimballed kinetics on your nacelles to start with.

Lightweight mod anything irrelevant. If someone breaks through your shields and you take fire, you'll drop before your modules in most cases. Avoid weapon mods that increase mass if possible. Use lightweight on them if viable.

Any specific tips, or want a test duel on PC - pop a message here or in my inbox.

You can use three medium plasma on a 3a distributor - it's what I have on my build linked above, makes for crazy fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast