Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Bounty Hunting Issues

  1. #1

    Bounty Hunting Issues

    Hello fellow Commanders,


    I need to share this with you, since its gotten me pretty mad. I have not done much bounty hunting and this sort of thing does not encourage me do it more... Three times now I have accidentally shot someone who is not Wanted (of course in the midst of a battle - shooting a wanted person). After this everyone has come after me like mad dogs or something. I dont want to shoot back at people who are not wanted, because that would make me even more wanted and it was an accident in the first place. So TWICE I've ended up destroyed just because of the fact that someone crossed my line of fire. Goddamn this pisses me off! Each time I've tried to get a way but managed to do it only once. Wouldnt be so upset but im talking big insurance money here too.


    Does this happen to anyone else?? Thoughts??
    I think a way to fix this would be that you'd only get wanted on you if you actually destroy someone who is not wanted - beacause accidents happen... well, to me atleast .

  2. #2
    Does this happen to everyone? Yes, at first

    You can try:
    1) Try a cheaper ship - until you get the hang of it, minimises insurance
    2) Pay attention to what is around - don't shoot if someone is in the way
    3) Pay attention to the state of the ships around you - if they go red, then run
    4) You can engineer rounds that won't hit friendlies, but really you need to work on the others or you'll be restricted in what you can equip

    So basically practice more, and it will get better. Or switch to exploring

    (Lots of guides to combat around, may be worth a look)

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Wellumus View Post (Source)
    Hello fellow Commanders,


    I need to share this with you, since its gotten me pretty mad. I have not done much bounty hunting and this sort of thing does not encourage me do it more... Three times now I have accidentally shot someone who is not Wanted (of course in the midst of a battle - shooting a wanted person). After this everyone has come after me like mad dogs or something. I dont want to shoot back at people who are not wanted, because that would make me even more wanted and it was an accident in the first place. So TWICE I've ended up destroyed just because of the fact that someone crossed my line of fire. Goddamn this pisses me off! Each time I've tried to get a way but managed to do it only once. Wouldnt be so upset but im talking big insurance money here too.


    Does this happen to anyone else?? Thoughts??
    I think a way to fix this would be that you'd only get wanted on you if you actually destroy someone who is not wanted - beacause accidents happen... well, to me atleast .
    Just like in real life, if you shoot first, there's no questioning later, your a dick. IF you ask questions first, they'll shoot and your a victim. I'd sooner be a live dick then a dead victim. ED doesn't have or reconize the term "Friendly Fire" or "Collateral Damage". Shoot first, pay fines later!
    https://inara.cz/data/sigs/78/78744.png

    Fill that which is empty; Empty that which is full; Scratch where it itches!

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Does this happen to everyone? Yes, at first

    You can try:
    1) Try a cheaper ship - until you get the hang of it, minimises insurance
    2) Pay attention to what is around - don't shoot if someone is in the way
    3) Pay attention to the state of the ships around you - if they go red, then run
    4) You can engineer rounds that won't hit friendlies, but really you need to work on the others or you'll be restricted in what you can equip

    So basically practice more, and it will get better. Or switch to exploring

    (Lots of guides to combat around, may be worth a look)
    Well atleast its good to know this is something that dont happen to people who have practiced!

    I really try to pay attention to what is around, but somehow someone ends up flying in the way just in the wrong moment. Its horrible to realize that suddenly everyone is after you! Oh well, maybe I give it another shot with a cheaper ship.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Wellumus View Post (Source)

    Does this happen to anyone else?? Thoughts??
    I think a way to fix this would be that you'd only get wanted on you if you actually destroy someone who is not wanted - because accidents happen... well, to me atleast .
    Happened to me more than once. So, I became extra careful and keep an eye on my environment as well. Second, I had my drives tuned into dirty drives, doing around 500m/s to ensure a quick escape, might things go wrong. Never got killed since.

  6. #6
    Use turrets to attack in crowded environs, as they cannot do friendly fire but when fighting one on one use what ever you want.

  7. #7
    Hi there

    When this happens to me I just divert power to engines, systems and stow my hard points. Time to run as fast as you can. I always try and keep a clear route out to where I am not mass locked, then jump to a clean system and wait for the bounty to run out

  8. #8
    This happened to me (and I am guessing just about everyone whom either reads or responds to this thread) as well. I've learned to do a few things;

    1) Make sure the ship scan is complete. I've gotten trigger happy only to have everyone turn on me. Wait until the scan comes back that the ship is wanted
    2) Make sure you use the Kill Warrant Scanner. Sometimes, they may be wanted but shooting without first using your Kill Warrant Scanner will produce the same result
    3) Keep an eye on the sky. Know what's around you. Even with things locking onto a target, if another Friendly gets in the way, I let go of the fire buttons (yes, plural buttons)
    4) Have good engines in case of emergency and you need to RTB in a hurry. More than once my extreme thrust on my Viper MkIV has saved the day and my butt.

    All these have been mentioned but nothing like a bit of repetition. Practice practice as well. I spent 2 weeks just practicing before I moved up to a bigger ship. Still use my Viper MKIV as the rebuy is only 359K.

    Gary

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Cmdr Nemo LXXI View Post (Source)
    Just like in real life, if you shoot first, there's no questioning later, your a dick. IF you ask questions first, they'll shoot and your a victim. I'd sooner be a live dick then a dead victim. ED doesn't have or reconize the term "Friendly Fire" or "Collateral Damage". Shoot first, pay fines later!
    Not helpful....

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Wellumus View Post (Source)
    Hello fellow Commanders,


    I need to share this with you, since its gotten me pretty mad. I have not done much bounty hunting and this sort of thing does not encourage me do it more... Three times now I have accidentally shot someone who is not Wanted (of course in the midst of a battle - shooting a wanted person). After this everyone has come after me like mad dogs or something. I dont want to shoot back at people who are not wanted, because that would make me even more wanted and it was an accident in the first place. So TWICE I've ended up destroyed just because of the fact that someone crossed my line of fire. Goddamn this pisses me off! Each time I've tried to get a way but managed to do it only once. Wouldnt be so upset but im talking big insurance money here too.


    Does this happen to anyone else?? Thoughts??
    I think a way to fix this would be that you'd only get wanted on you if you actually destroy someone who is not wanted - beacause accidents happen... well, to me atleast .
    As has been said by other posters, you are falling victim to 'friendly fire' incidents.

    One of the things you must do in the heat of a battle (BH or CZ) is be mindful of what other people are doing.
    If, whilst shooting at a wanted ship, a stray 'clean' ship gets between yourself and the target, it is quite possible that you will become 'wanted' because of shooting a clean ship.

    I have had a number of instances where multiple ships were taking down a target and I had to stop firing as another commander flew in front of my ship.

    It is one of those live and learn aspects of the game.
    Don't get demoralised. It is normal. Just be mindful of it going forward.

    N.B. when a ship sends out chaff, effectively scrambling target lock, the possibility of your shots going awry is increased. I stop shooting when a ship is deploying chaff.

  11. #11
    Received a bounty after killing a wanted ship. Hit the replay video and didn't realize his status changed to clean after interdiction but he was still wanted at first. Getting hunted down because of a npc glitching cheater is not fun and I took the black just to avoid any annoyances.