Thread: Do I Need an Oculus Touch?

Do I Need an Oculus Touch?

I am going to buy a new PC that can handle VR with no problem. I am looking at the Rift but I notice that the one without the controllers is $99 more than the one without. I play with a HOTAS. Is there any reason to spend the extra money to get the touch? Are there any differences other than the controllers?

Nah, no differences that I'm aware of when it comes to ED. The controllers are nice for almost every other games though, it depends on what you're planning to do other than Elite
    I've seen Earth from space and now it doesn't look like home anymore...
    It feels more like a bed from which I woke up.

No use for the controllers in ED. As Dsign rightly points out, you'll definitely want those controllers for other titles.
    Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream...

Originally Posted by Dsign View Post (Source)
    Nah, no differences that I'm aware of when it comes to ED. The controllers are nice for almost every other games though, it depends on what you're planning to do other than Elite
    Exactly. Not needed for Elite. There is "X Rebirth VR Edition" currently in early access on Steam which supports those controllers and it looks awkward. If you aren't planning on using the Oculus exclusively for Elite, there are some fun games to try out:

- Robo Recall
    - Superhot VR (be sure to get the VR version, there is a standard version too without VR support)
    - Lone Echo
    - The Climb

And maybe you enjoy 3D painting, too.

While you don't need touch for Elite, it does add a whole new level to VR. If you are only going to play Elite, then I guess it isn't worth it. But are you sure you're not going to try out other games on VR? There really are some awesome demos.
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

Bump just to make sure that is what I want before I buy it.

Originally Posted by dm0815 View Post (Source)
    Exactly. Not needed for Elite. There is "X Rebirth VR Edition" currently in early access on Steam which supports those controllers and it looks awkward. If you aren't planning on using the Oculus exclusively for Elite, there are some fun games to try out:

- Robo Recall
    - Superhot VR (be sure to get the VR version, there is a standard version too without VR support)
    - Lone Echo
    - The Climb

And maybe you enjoy 3D painting, too.
    Mission ISSbelongs on that list too. Guaranteed to tighten the pants of anyone with even mildly spacey interests.

Highly recommended for everything else you might do, besides ED. Just going through the Oculus setup and the intro with the robot with them was enough to sell me on them and swayed me to try other games they're so ergonomic, light as a feather, only require a single AA battery each (included). The battery life seems really good too. They automatically switch on and off as needed. The enhanced sense of presence that hands provide is worth the little extra, I say. Hope that helps.

BTW, if you use SteamVR and like shooting galleries, there's an environment that recreates the Mustachio shooting gallery from Left 4 Dead 2. Hours of fun right there (and it's free)

There's no need for the touch in terms of the controllers (which are brilliant) for ED however having the touch does give you another sensor which does allow for moving around the cockpit a little more, again not really needed but is nice. More sensors for other games however is useful

You need Oculus Touch to be complete as a human being IMO, but no, it's not necessary for ED. I just use my HOTAS with my Rift.

"Trust me, I'm a geologist." -Me.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." -George Carlin.