Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How the hell do you fly your ship down to a planet surface to specific coordinates?

Mark I eyeballs and a compass on a ship that can navigate multiple light years and place you right next to a star w/o burning you up.

Ever play that game, "hotter colder" as a kid?

Planetary landings are like that, but level 10. Lol

It's easy once you get your bearings. *Pun*

Say you need -140, +60

You drop in to Orbital cruise at +10, -30

Pick any direction out of a bearing of 0, 90, 180, and 270.

When "+10" starts counting DOWN, keep going until it reaches -140, then throttle back. Then assuming you chose to face south, then face east or west, and fly until the "-30" starts counting UP, until it's at +60.

Once you're close enough, drop down to normal flight, and refine it further.

To begin with, it's best to use just one bearing (0, 90, 180 or 270) at a time, but eventually you can use two at once. I can find coordinates pretty quickly now without tools.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

I find the best way to find a coordinate is to wander around in every direction possible for three or so hours.....
    i love it !

Flimley

And OP, amongst the couple of helpful suggestions above, you can join the fight to get Frontier to add a simple input of LAT/LON coordinates & add a waypoint to aim for in this thread here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ypoints-PLEASE!

<blatant advertising> My application also has a bearing and distance calculator </blatant advertising> , but as pointed out, there are other applications, the E.D.I.S.O.N. application being a clever one with realtime updates, for example.

Originally Posted by thirstyfish View Post (Source)
    while in orbital cruise, use the compass and the lat/long readout to get close enough to your target, drop down with the steepest glide you can, and chain boost the rest of the way once done with glide, still using the compass.
    Chain boost? People really do that?

If you are more than 5 degrees away point in the direction you want to go and nose up at +80%, enter SC, immediately drop nose to +5%, exit SC when 2% away by dropping nose below 0% and you are there, always drops me within radar range of whatever I am after.

Think in 90 degrees, as each 90 deg segment (0, 90, 180, 270) affects one coordinate either positive or negative.
    Keeping this in mind, you can easily choose a course between two of those 90 deg segments, that affect both coordinates as you like. Once memorized, it is a no brainer that requires no external tools at all and atthe speeds the ships move, any set of coordinates can be reached within a very short amount of time.

90 deg - change only one coordinate
    45 deg - change both at the same rate
    30 or 60 deg - change one at double the rate than the other and so on.

The game absolutely needs improvements in that regard (please let us create planetary bookmarks with coordinates), but if you really don't know how to use a compass I suggest you go back to boy scouts

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    The game absolutely needs improvements in that regard (please let us create planetary bookmarks with coordinates), but if you really don't know how to use a compass I suggest you go back to boy scouts
    Oh, how i would love surface waypoints / bookmarks

They really should add the ability to set a course to set co-ordinates, it is 3303 after all!

edbearing for sure but if thats not an option then this helps, someone else posted this the other day which i thought was useful

https://imgur.com/Rcgxs4J

You can type a system name into your ship computer and it can show you exactly where in the 100 billion system galaxy that system is, instantly.

16th century coordinate systems are too much for this computer though. You're either going to need to fly at right angles or real-time Pythagoras that s*** in your head.

Originally Posted by V3teran View Post (Source)
    How the hell do you fly your ship down to a planet surface to specific coordinates? Like barnacles?
    Struggling with this...have the coordinates but how do you get the right path?
    Fly to 0 bearing you will raise the first number
    Fly to 90 you will raise the second number
    Fly to 180 you will decrease the first number
    Fly to 270 you will decrease the second number..

(yeah I dont remember what is X and what is Y , and right now I'm too afraid to ask )

Originally Posted by CMDR GTR2014 View Post (Source)
    Fly to 0 bearing you will raise the first number
    Fly to 90 you will raise the second number
    Fly to 180 you will decrease the first number
    Fly to 270 you will decrease the second number..

(yeah I dont remember what is X and what is Y , and right now I'm too afraid to ask )
    Glad I'm not the only one who needs to consult a dictionary to know what latitude and longitude is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast