Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we just turn CQC off now?

Originally Posted by TomS View Post (Source)
    All of these things would be great - but they'd all take dev time and I suspect the vast majority of the player-base would prefer that time spent on the actual game.
    BUT.... with 2.4 completed (in a bit) that could free up some time for the devs to at least have a nose at it and tinker with it to improve it (possibly with AI bots - I'm thinking a few devs eat their dinner at their desks that we've paid for )

Once that's done they can go back to 2.4.1.1.1.1 which fixes some bugs behind the scenes.

V2k.

Originally Posted by TomS View Post (Source)
    All of these things would be great - but they'd all take dev time and I suspect the vast majority of the player-base would prefer that time spent on the actual game.
    Ach, I reckon there's a good slice who'd still want it. Plus things like bots for PvE and more in-game impact & profit would broaden the appeal further. (Way I see it, the primary thing that lost it early support was lack of in-game profit. That compacted the appeal down to a specific flavour of 'quick play for fun' PvP).

So yeah, they'll probably never be able to roll that ball back up the hill. But hey, the servers are still on, they haven't lost all hope in it. And miracles like platform cross-play could still happen to spike those numbers, or perhaps VR growing to the point where their numbers made sense, and it could be resurfaced for that as a standalone again. Reasons could emerge to get the big defibrillators out...

Never know

Make Arena great again!

You want FDev to close down CQCC because you don't play it?

Do you phone up radio stations and tell them to stop playing their music because you've stopped listening to it as you're doing something else?

You can't say that Frontier are wasting development time on it, because they aren't spending any development time on it. Maybe bots would be a big ask, but the ability to set up private games would be brilliant.

Instead of a pillow over the face, what CQCC needs is shot from a defibrillator

30-45 min for a match to start up, meanwhile not able to do anything else in the game. Not my cup of joe and for me a dead feature that I payed for.

Best part of CQC was when one of the open play community goals was to "retrieve black box data"... and it was the CQC building, tunnels and holos and all, as a combat zone.

Only then did we find out that a fed corvette actually CAN buzz the tunnels... messily

It's simply another dead end feature that was implemented half baked and abandoned. I hope 3.0 includes some revamps of some of these features.

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    Make Arena great again!
    You're gonna build a wall and stop people playing it?

Originally Posted by Spacecat View Post (Source)
    It's simply another dead end feature that was implemented half baked and abandoned. I hope 3.0 includes some revamps of some of these features.
    It's actually a pretty tight stand alone product. It was just meant for pure PvP but FD totally missed their audience.

Make new ship that are rank locked for CQC rank, watch people actually finding games and having fun in CQC again!

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    It's actually a pretty tight stand alone product. It was just meant for pure PvP but FD totally missed their audience.
    Needs to have regular ships also in it. Different class & match options, small, med, large, fighter, SRV, single & multiplayer, and free-for-all where you can use your own ships without rebuy. Also needs more in game incentives and bots to fill matches. All this stuff is part of the regular game. Half baked.

I can answer "Why was it never played?"

Three reasons:
    1. You couldn't import your Sit-There-And-Watch-Everything-Die Corvette, but had to use the pre-built ships provided.
    2. You couldn't make nearly as much in credits as you could taking slave-trading missions and black-marketing said slaves sitting in Robigo.
    3. It exists as a separate game/mode from the main game.

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    So don't play it. Problem solved. But I'm sure you've worked that out for yourself already.
    Except it shows up on your status in the real game.

If they got rid of that, I'd be okay. Instead, I see 'Helpless' in that tab for an off game game I have no interest in. But people asked for an arena so they got one, even though FD said they had no intention in doing so on these forums pre release.

I'd play CQC a lot more if I could queue for it while playing the actual game.

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    Make Arena great again!
    Again? When was this golden age?

Originally Posted by Golgot View Post (Source)

But yeah, bots, maps, a tutorial, practice zones, materials as rewards, more creds, a standalone sale again, PowerPlay competitions, Braben bobble heads to the most hulls shredded... Whatever it takes, I do wish they'd juice it back to life...

If the choice is occasional games vs no games at all though, let the beast live...
    Well, at that point, with all the suggestions added in, FDev might as well turn CQC into a separate game based in the Elite Universe (ala EvE valkyrie.) With completely no tie ins to Elite Dangerous (take out the CQC rating on the ship's control console.) This is based on the amount of development effort that would be required to flesh out CQC as CQC players want it to be.
    FDev were already moving in that direction when they started selling Arena as standalone. Think the problem at that time was that they used the ED team with ED budget to develop Arena. Now, if they had a separate project team working on a separate project (Elite Dangerous: Arena) with it's own budget and profitability goals, we might end up getting the CQC game that CQC players are dreaming of, with the hardcore AI, multiple maps, practice zones, etc. Ala, Overwatch. And this would in no way impact the Elite Dangerous or Elite Dangerous: Horizons players. ED players before separation would of course have free access to the new game. But the new game would be sold separately and any new ED purchases after a certain cutoff date would have no access to the new game.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast