Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to pull the trigger

About to pull the trigger

Hey guys,

Need some last minute advice before I pull the trigger on a ED setup for my UK residence. Been out of the game for a while here in the UK, I have a full CV1 setup with a CV1 & Buttkicker gamer etc out in Bahrain, would have cost me more and been too much hassle to fly out/dismantle and carry it all back to the UK.

Below is the setup I am about to order for the UK, I think it's everything I'll need. Am wondering if I've missed anything.

PC -

I7 7700K 2tb + SSD 16gb DDR4 GTX 1080TI 11gb Galaxy Windows 10 22" Monitor keyboard Mouse Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming Motherboard 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Performance Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080TI 11gb VR Ready EVGA 600w Quiet 80 Plus Bronze Certified Semi Modular Power Supply 120gb SSD Solid State Drive with Superior Read + Write Speeds + 2tb HDD

Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Logitech G Saitek X52 Flight Control System

Logitech Attack 3 PC Joystick (My preferred stick for FA-OFF)

Inateck IDE or SATA to USB 3.0 Universal Converter Hard Drive Adapter with Power Switch for 2.5"/3.5"SATA HDD/SSD & IDE HDD Drives Optical Drive, Include 12V 2A Power Adapter and USB 3.0 Cable --- Brought the Hard drives from the Bahrain setup back with me, hopefully I can transfer my voice attack profiles/Key bindings etc

already bought a second CV1 + have a Bkgamer here in the UK, was using some kind of splitter to get the headphones/speaker system and BKgamer to work together back in Bahrain, can't remember if it was a simple Y splitter :-/

Can anyone think of anything else that will be needed, cable wise? Maybe extra USB hubs? Plan is to geek out all weekend getting this up and running, don't want to have to wait for extra cables etc to be ordered.

Cheers.

Putting an 80+ bronze psu in an otherwise very expensive pc?

Originally Posted by Flapdrol1337 View Post (Source)
    Putting an 80+ bronze psu in an otherwise very expensive pc?
    I usually build my own rigs, not bothered anymore, if the PSU proves to be an issue I'll have a chat with my local store.

Looks good to me. Enjoy!

Looks great, don't worry about the PSU, most of the time those 80+ gold or bronze is just for marketing. I've never had an issue out of the dozens of extremely expensive builds.

It's worth noting that the 80+ certification is about efficiency, not performance. Well, not exactly anyway. Generally the advertised wattage of the PSU is the maximum amount that it can draw from the wall outlet. That doesn't at all translate to how much power it can provide to your system. With 80+, you know that at least 80% of that power is available to the system.

Long story short, a PSU that isn't 80+ certified can be just fine, as long as its output wattage is sufficient to run your components, including startup spikes and the like. However there are other factors, such as overall reliability, and how "clean" of a power signal it provides, and weather it can handle sudden increases in drawn current without dropping the voltage, etc. These are harder to quantify, and almost impossible to diagnose if you start having random crashes or other problems. So for those reasons, my advise is to never overlook the importance of the PSU, and consider either going with a well trusted brand, or otherwise read some reviews before choosing.

Nice. Early Christmas.

Wait, you have 2 Rifts?

ALWAYS overbuy on the PSU. Running something at a fraction of capacity makes it last forever, and quality of power affects EVERYTHING. You could be chasing ghosts in individual components, when the real culprit is the power supply, doing something intermittent and sneaky.

I like quiet PC's, with that in mind I bought a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 PSU when I rebuilt my system.

Also bought a Corsair 500r case that got good reviews. In combination with a 1070 gpu (runs ultra settings effortlessly) and an Arctic Cool cpu fan, the system is very quiet and runs quite cool, to the point that the gpu fans are inaudible (an issue I had w/ a high end AMD gpu, replaced by the 1070).

Your rig sounds great, but I would spring for the SeaSonic 1050 or one like it for elbow room, I've had no problem with it.

I've been extremely unlucky with all USB related things, as of lately. 1 HUB died after not even year, next one had just not enough power output, even bought a second ext. DAC before i found out the culprit was an USB extension cable... Now i avoid all extension cables at all costs, and ordered some slot brackets to fully use my onboard usb ports instead of getting a hub. running flawlessly now.

Originally Posted by BlackSpaceCowboy View Post (Source)
    Nice. Early Christmas.

Wait, you have 2 Rifts?
    Late Christmas! I have been stuck in UK hotels without a gaming rig since last year! finally moved into my own place. My main ED setup (And girlfriend) is back home in Bahrain 5000km's away :-(

Thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully should arrive Friday Morning. Can anyone remember how big the download file is for ED? My Broadband won't be running till the 2nd of October, I've had to purchase a 4G wifi pack with a 50gb limit to keep me going.

If the budget can stretch consider a 1x tb M.2. Fast as flip.
    Then ditch the spinning sata's and go SSD.
    If you like overclocking and cool/quiet PC's, consider custom wstercooling loop. My rig is ultra cool and so quiet.

I'd recommend Crucial Ballistix Ram instead of the Corsair stuff, I love their cases, coolers and PSU's but damn I've had to RMA too many sticks of that Ram.

WAIT !

Intel is launching a new range of desktop cpu's and mobos NEXT MONTH, October the 5th to be precise.

The new I7 unlike before will get a bump to six cores and 12 threads, and has significantly more first and second tier cache
    Perf increase between the 8700k and 7700k will be 11% better for single threaded tasks and and over 50% better for multithreaded tasks, (two more cores after all)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel...e-release-date

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    WAIT !

Intel is launching a new range of desktop cpu's and mobos NEXT MONTH, October the 5th to be precise.

The new I7 unlike before will get a bump to six cores and 12 threads, and has significantly more first and second tier cache
    Perf increase between the 8700k and 7700k will be 11% better for single threaded tasks and and over 50% better for multithreaded tasks, (two more cores after all)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel...e-release-date
    I plan on eventually having a dual setup for ED in multicrew, I'll be looking into building another rig sometime in the future. Right now I just want to get ED up and running, the VR withdrawal is getting bad, don't want to wait any longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast