Thread: New to this and have some questions

New to this and have some questions

Got Horizons and when I get close to the planets surface the ship feels like it is mud and slows to a crawl even with full power. What am I doing wrong?
    thanks

This is to keep you from slamming into a planet at several times the speed of light. I generally head in at 75%, and throttle back a few times. Yes, it's pretty slow.

Planets/moons are big your ship is very small, I oftern crusie just over the surface and feel like im getting nowhere, it might be worth checking your frame rate, not sure about Xbox or PS but on my PC even with the graphics dowm low for planets my frame rate takes a nose dive.

after thought:, you are coming out of glide near the planet and not just after you enter?

Originally Posted by Teh Smoo View Post (Source)
    This is to keep you from slamming into a planet at several times the speed of light. I generally head in at 75%, and throttle back a few times. Yes, it's pretty slow.
    Yeah .. your FSD (frameshift drive) isn't as effective when there's a gravity well around. If you fly past a star or planet in deep space you can feel it affect your engines. Same happens when you're in orbital flight but it's a stronger effect, because you're that much closer to the planet's gravity effect.

Also, as Cmdr lokvette says, look at your actual speed and you'll probably find you're moving pretty fast. It just might not look like it, when you're flying over a big planet.

As soon as the blue ring appears around the planet, go to 50% throttle and come in at 30 to 45 degrees. Once glide mode is complete, you are free to fly as you like

What height are you at?

If < ~40km (and after exiting glide) then you are probably in normal space, don't use this to fly anywhere around the planet (unless you are searching for POI) - it will take forever (limited by your thrusters)
    If > 40 km you should in in Orbital Cruise - OC - (get OC by going to SC from planet). OC gets faster as you move away from the planet. Need to balance speed with direction - the faster you go the less control over heading you will get.

All depends what you are trying to do, mostly you should choose your target while in OC.

Thanks but what I am experiencing is different. It feels like an anchor is out and looking at the distance to go numbers, lets say 566, it seems like it looses on digit a minute (10 minutes 556). I figure it would take me hours to get halfway around the planet to the base I am looking for.

It all started when I first came in close to the planet and, bang, it went it glide mode. That was ok because I was about 50 feet from the surface and going fairly fast skimming it and up and over hills and such, was fun. But then I tried to land so slowed to stop and put down the gear and lowered to the ground. Warning uneven ground came up and a big thud and I was down. I then wanted to resume flight so when up a bit, raised gear and hit power, nothing,,,hit full power and began the slow, really slow surface skim (not fast like the first time).

I then tried to get out of the lock or anchor but pointing up and leaving the planet but realized after half and hour that I could spend a lot of time trying to get far enough away. So, I saved and excited the sim and then started it again where I had left off and, wow, it all worked normal again and I could speed away from the planet with no anchor. I had to reboot the sim to remove the anchor.

I tried this several times and now I could not enter a planet with the out the slow crawl and could not get back the surface speed I first had. I thought then that I could start over again at the station where I began but found there is only save to menu or save to desktop and I did not want to save, I wanted to start over and see if the problem was fixed.

Hi, welcome to Horizons! After you drop out of glide and enter "normal" flight the mass and general handling of your ship, engine rating (A-E) and the planet/moon's gravitational pull will all make difference. So for example trying to land a Type 9 with E-rated engines in a 6g environment will feel a lot different to an A-rated Eagle landing on .06g's.

Take a look at this landing tutorial.
    https://youtu.be/O2uYM2ykS1I

Originally Posted by teisco View Post (Source)
    Thanks but what I am experiencing is different.
    Exactly what I said - one is normal planet speed, other is orbital cruise. You'll get the hang of it. And put your landing gear away

................ I thought then that I could start over again at the station where I began but found there is only save to menu or save to desktop and I did not want to save, I wanted to start over and see if the problem was fixed.
    If you really want to start over, you select "Clear Save" at the main menu options screen, it is not available on the in-game options screen, only the main menu (the first one you get after loading E D).

I then tried to get out of the lock or anchor but pointing up and leaving the planet but realized after half and hour that I could spend a lot of time trying to get far enough away. .............
    If you point straight up it shouldn't take very long for the mass-lock light to go out and you can engage SUPERCRUISE (escape vector "target" appears at 90deg ascension) then you build-up speed in what is effectively orbital cruise, you can keep going up until you leave the planet's "zone" or you can take a more "horizontal" trajectory to move around the planet at good speed.