Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone use rudder pedals in their HOTAS setup?

Originally Posted by Cliché View Post (Source)
    I'm a little slow and was wondering what the difference between proper rudder pedals and racing rudder pedals were, but a synapse finally fired off I guess you are talking about clutch, brake, and accelerator? Yeah, I guess it's possible. I use digital buttons for steering my SRV in turret mode, but it's not ideal - and neither is the twist stick.

I wish I could use rudder pedals, but I think I'm just to big and fat right now and I'd probably break them, but I'm losing weight quickly. I can't even think of playing BOS/M/K w/o pedals. But when I lose the weight, I'm going to look for a nice set of heavy duty, wide stance pedals (because I'm still big guy), like my old aluminum frame Thrustmaster pedals I had back in the 90's. Then I can lose the twist stick and get a proper joystick. And hopefully by then ED will have really recaptured my interest.
    Rudder Pedals consist of the two toe brakes and a third rotational axis, that allow you to shift the toe brakes back and forth. This motion is ideal for yaw control f.e. - Racing pedals on the other hand would force you to move one foot from a side to the middle pedal to activate. Also the third axis on a racing pedal controller is only one way, while the center axis of rudder pedals go from -100 - 0 - +100. And if you have good racing pedals, like those on the G27 or G29, the force needed to push each pedal is different, just like in a car.
    And if you want some sturdy rudder pedals, id recommend to check the MFD Crosswind controller.
    "Foxtrott-Romeo-Alpha" - CMDR Francis G. Blackly - Soldier of Fortune since 3270
    Pilot of the Asp Explorer
    "DSE Cayetano Valdès" <- Click for Coriolis Data
    Be a commander, fly a spaceship, live the adventure.

Originally Posted by Cliché View Post (Source)
    Well, I just moved my chair over to the scale and put my feet on it and it read 80 lbs. The MFGs look wide enough, but I'm worried about the pedals being cantilevered out there with 40 lbs, plus activation weight and shoes and etc., per foot. I'd feel better about getting that down to 25 lbs a foot first.
    You dont need stand on the pedals, you can rest your foot on the floor and use your toes to move the pedals. Crosswinds are fully adjustable to suit any position you want. Any questions email Milan, he offers very good support.

Yes, I am a lucky owner of a pair of MFG Crosswinds. I use them for roll. They are wonderful.

You can see them in the gallery on my signature.
    My Glorious Flightstation
    CMDR Herbrand - FA Off Trainee - HTC Vive user

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't use racing pedals for rudder control any more than I would use my g29 wheel instead of my stick and throttle.
    Or my hotas for playing project cars.
    Agreed!

But I still use racing peddles. Accelerate is forward thrust and break is reverse thrust. Clutch is handbreak in SRV. Landing and shift+cargo in ship.

I use twist on the stick for yaw. I know it is unrealistic but I justify it to myself by saying it's a spaceship and all bets are off!

I love it. There is a dampener in the break. The feel of 'slamming on the breaks' when I come into the station a little too hard, something I do far too frequently because I suck, is proper satisfying.
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38410&dateline=1479498119

Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Yes, I am a lucky owner of a pair of MFG Crosswinds. I use them for roll. They are wonderful.

You can see them in the gallery on my signature.
    How are you getting on FA off? I love it. Best decision I have made in ED. My fav ship is a performance enhanced Sidey because it is such fun to fly FA off.

Have you joined the Newton's Gambit? Dedicated to FA off. RL has got in the way so I haven't been there for a while but its a great channel. (I think so anyway. )

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38410&dateline=1479498119

Originally Posted by andysonofbob View Post (Source)
    How are you getting on FA off? I love it. Best decision I have made in ED. My fav ship is a performance enhanced Sidey because it is such fun to fly FA off.

Have you joined the Newton's Gambit? Dedicated to FA off. RL has got in the way so I haven't been there for a while but its a great channel. (I think so anyway. )
    Hi! Still playing around with it - I can land fairly easily with it, but in combat I have issues even using gimbals, I can't for the life of me understand how people can duel with constant FA on... Perhaps they have a lot of curves tuning?

Still a long way to go...

Anyway what's Newton's Gambit?

Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Anyway what's Newton's Gambit?
    I'm such a numpty. It's a discord channel for people who like to fly or learn FA off. People are happy to help / encourage etc.
    https://discord.gg/EN39rcP

I personally don't use curves and when it comes to combat, you really do get it after a while. You stop thinking about making the corrections, you do it automatically!

I really do think it's worth persevering, simply for the bonus fixed weapons get! If I can offer a tip? Try not to boost, you really don't need to. Only boost to evade or close the gap to target. Also, THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP: try to remain in the bluezone at all times.

I use rudder pedals for yaw and the toes for forward/backward thrust, goes great with my x52pro.

Originally Posted by ziddan View Post (Source)
    I use rudder pedals for yaw and the toes for forward/backward thrust, goes great with my x52pro.
    Which pedals? Got the X52 Pro, too, and am thinking about adding pedals.

Got the logitech pro flight pedals, have to use a program to join the two toe break axis into a single one to get analog thruster control working but its so worth it.

These arent really quality pedals tho, they broke within two days, the design of the internals puts stress on connections between components but with a bit of soldering amd modding those stresses are gone, moved the main circuit board and turned it on its side.

After i fixed that they have been perfect for 500 hours ingame.

Do toe brakes function like analogue sticks and can be used for vertical or horizontal thrust or do they function like binary on/off switches?

On the ones i have each toe is a separate axis that springs back to the bottom when you take pressure of it but ive got them joined together into a single virtual axis. This way i can use them for forwars and backward thrust, left for back, right for forward.

The yaw axis is self centering and just works.

Originally Posted by andysonofbob View Post (Source)
    I'm such a numpty. It's a discord channel for people who like to fly or learn FA off. People are happy to help / encourage etc.
    https://discord.gg/EN39rcP

I personally don't use curves and when it comes to combat, you really do get it after a while. You stop thinking about making the corrections, you do it automatically!

I really do think it's worth persevering, simply for the bonus fixed weapons get! If I can offer a tip? Try not to boost, you really don't need to. Only boost to evade or close the gap to target. Also, THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP: try to remain in the bluezone at all times.
    Cheers, just joined!

Due to an error I made (or possibly Newegg not wanting to make me grumpy, although I did make an error) I saved even more after my order was cancelled and I had to re-order. Newegg Thrustmaster t16000m Flight Packs are now 30% off! Time to buy if you're keen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123