Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: BRC Road Rally Racing, Season 1: Oct-Dec 3303

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Thanks for finding that...how embarrassing.

I have fixed the form issues and you're good to go. I've thought about your unconventional start, am cool with it, and so have calculated your time to be 17:29.

The rules state that your run starts when your vehicle is in motion. CMDR <-lightspeed-> choose to position himself well behind the start line and get up to speed in order to take advantage of the ramp and jump. I've decided this is fine and since this is the very first run submitted in the very first season, will be amending the rules to state that the run starts when you actually cross the start line.
    So, combining this with the suggestion that you run as many times as you can after declaring intent to race...you can just make a whole bunch of laps without slowing down (within your 1 hour declare window) and submit the best of them?

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    So, combining this with the suggestion that you run as many times as you can after declaring intent to race...you can just make a whole bunch of laps without slowing down (within your 1 hour declare window) and submit the best of them?
    There is also a rule that says you have to wait an hour between each race attempt. So I guess the question is what constitutes an attempt? Is it as many laps as you care to make in that window of time or one and done them you have to wait another hour? Also can you start within an hour either before or after your start time or do you have to start sometime between your start time and an hour later?

Either way I noticed lightspeed started his run a few minutes after his declared time so that's what I'm gonna do...right now:

INTENT TO RACE
    Driver: CMDR Brabston, Timmy
    Nav: NA
    Course: Jordan Market - Ross 33
    SRV: Big Soda
    23 Oct 3303 4:00:00

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    You may, as long as they start within the hour time frame. You can probably squeeze 3-4 laps into an hour, depending on the course. But after that you have to take a break and re-declare; and this isn't anything like fliving for the same amount of time...it's a constant fight for control.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    driving an SRV in high-G feels like driving a Tesla on ice. Spinning out constantly, donuts and twist and turns all the time.
    Still haven't had time to try this yet (although I really want to) but I'm quite surprised at this ... I'd always assumed that spinning out was a product of low-g = low traction. Does it seem reasonable for the SRV to be spinning out quite so much in a high-g environment?

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Still haven't had time to try this yet (although I really want to) but I'm quite surprised at this ... I'd always assumed that spinning out was a product of low-g = low traction. Does it seem reasonable for the SRV to be spinning out quite so much in a high-g environment?
    I'm not a physics expert or an expert on tires/traction but I figure turning the wheels any more than a few degrees suddenly at highway speeds would cause loss of traction even in high g. Also the wheels have the thrusters constantly firing so you wouldn't be under the full effect of the gravity. But who knows how reasonable it REALLY is.

Made my first submission (I hope I didn't break any rules (oh and sorry about the blurry dusty SRV glamour shot in the submission form, since ED servers are down atm that is all I could find)), and it was a blast! when you get to drifting around corners just right it is so cool. Here's the video (with some musical selections from the Bomberman Hero OST. Just felt appropriate for some reason) if anyone wants to watch:

https://youtu.be/F-tIhO_jSpI

Originally Posted by subhouse07 View Post (Source)
    I'm not a physics expert or an expert on tires/traction but I figure turning the wheels any more than a few degrees suddenly at highway speeds would cause loss of traction even in high g. Also the wheels have the thrusters constantly firing so you wouldn't be under the full effect of the gravity. But who knows how reasonable it REALLY is.

Made my first submission (I hope I didn't break any rules (oh and sorry about the blurry dusty SRV glamour shot in the submission form, since ED servers are down atm that is all I could find)), and it was a blast! when you get to drifting around corners just right it is so cool. Here's the video (with some musical selections from the Bomberman Hero OST. Just felt appropriate for some reason) if anyone wants to watch:

https://youtu.be/F-tIhO_jSpI
    I've got the submission...I don't see any issues with the run. Will get updated leader board together when I've got some extra time.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    At first, I was slightly grumpy about it, but my headcannon assumption now is that the SRV has six independent electrical engines, each of which produce a very high amount of torque, which causes a large amount of the spinouts (probably more like a hybrid supercar than a normal Tesla). It seems odd we can only go up to 39 m/s (87 mph) normally, but I'm telling myself that's because of a built-in speed governor.

And with our fly-by-wire steering, we don't get tactile feedback like a normal racecar driver would, so we have to turn far far more gently. Also, half the course is off paved surfaces, so it's like driving an F1 car without spoilers on a rally track. Or something. I'm blanking on good comparisons.

My main point is it's super weird, pretty difficult, and very very fun.

Slight problem for me navigating Aldiss Terminal. There seems to be some bugged geometry around the central circular structure at the outpost. If you get to within about an srv's-width from it you bounce off an invisible wall. There is a part of the course where you circle around it and go through a gap between the central structure and a big tank thing and it has been impossible for me! I've tried wriggling through slowly, going full speed through but I just keep getting stuck in an invisible wedge at that part. I actually made it through once on my very first walk through but have been unsuccessful since then.

Slight problem for me navigating Aldiss Terminal. There seems to be some bugged geometry around the central circular structure at the outpost. If you get to within about an srv's-width from it you bounce off an invisible wall. There is a part of the course where you circle around it and go through a gap between the central structure and a big tank thing and it has been impossible for me! I've tried wriggling through slowly, going full speed through but I just keep getting stuck in an invisible wedge at that part. I actually made it through once on my very first walk through but have been unsuccessful since then.
    That's distressing...have you tried going to a different mode (i.e., solo / open)? I don't know why it would matter, but maybe an instance reset will clear something up?

Yeah switched to solo but no luck. One time I managed to get through by boosting high enough to where the gap widens a little bit but it took like thirty seconds to tumble through the invisible wall haha.

Edit: actually looking like the boosting through a little higher might work consistently. If nobody else is affected by this I'm just gonna work that into my run as a fancy finishing touch to the course

Edit2: now it's happening at the other little gap you have to go through before the big tank gap. Would you say a boost over the pipe followed by a boost between the big tank and the building are an equal trade off for shooting through the gap?

Yeah switched to solo but no luck. One time I managed to get through by boosting high enough to where the gap widens a little bit but it took like thirty seconds to tumble through the invisible wall haha.

Edit: actually looking like the boosting through a little higher might work consistently. If nobody else is affected by this I'm just gonna work that into my run as a fancy finishing touch to the course

Edit2: now it's happening at the other little gap you have to go through before the big tank gap. Would you say a boost over the pipe followed by a boost between the big tank and the building are an equal trade off for shooting through the gap?
    Would you mind posting a little video of it, so I can see what's happening, and where on the course you're talking about? Thanks.

Would you mind posting a little video of it, so I can see what's happening, and where on the course you're talking about? Thanks.
    Will do, just a moment

Here's a video sorry for the wait!

https://youtu.be/sYsovQA-ZWM
    No need to be sorry, thanks for taking the time! I'm on my way to take a look now.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with anything that gets you through any of the gaps, but I'm curious why I didn't run into the issues on my test runs. That was even the course I was testing on while getting feedback from Bruski, before I'd released details to anyone else.

No need to be sorry, thanks for taking the time! I'm on my way to take a look now.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with anything that gets you through any of the gaps, but I'm curious why I didn't run into the issues on my test runs. That was even the course I was testing on while getting feedback from Bruski, before I'd released details to anyone else.
    Alright, there's definitely some weird geometry going on in there. And you're right about sometimes being able to go through without hindrance. I'll update the map within the next 12 hours to not require hugging that wall...once you go around the big round building and have line-of-sight to the finish line, go for it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast