Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: BRC Road Rally Racing, Season 1: Oct-Dec 3303

  1. #1

    BRC Road Rally Racing, Season 1: Oct-Dec 3303

    ​​

    ​​

    LEADERBOARDS



    WELCOME TO SEASON 1!

    Road Rally Racing (RRR) is an offshoot of the Buckyball Racing Club with a focus on racing ground vehicles through planetary outposts and (eventually) cities. Unlike traditional BRC races, RRR is a seasonal Championship event. Each season lasts 3 months with competing racers submitting times for six courses. At the end of the season, the champion is the racer with the shortest total time for all six courses.

    Please visit the main event page to learn more, including how to:
    • enter by Declaring Intent,
    • read the Maps,
    • use a Navigator,
    • collect video Evidence,
    • drive your Vehicle,
    • submit an Entry.


    DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

    Before racing a course, you are REQUIRED to declare your intent to race by posting in this thread. There are special rules for this, so please make sure to visit the main event page before entering.


    SUBMITTING ENTRIES

    For Road Rally Racing events, you will submit a Google form with the necessary information. Remember, you must submit the details of a declared run or plead a Did Not Finish (using the form) before you can declare another run.


    RACE COURSES

    Season 1 visits some of the highest gravity worlds on which humanity has placed outposts, while still providing a mix of surface types on which to race.

    Aldiss Terminal - Pegasi Sector IR-W d1-90
    Gravity: 2.39G
    Surface: Icy Body
    Map

    Ceres Tarn - HR 1185
    Gravity: 4.12G
    Surface: High Metal Content
    Map

    Harrison Installation - Wolf 562
    Gravity: 2.70G
    Surface: Metal-Rich Body
    Map

    Jordan Market - Ross 33
    Gravity: 3.35G
    Surface: Metal-Rich Body
    Map

    Moore Beacon - 5 G. Capricorni
    Gravity: 3.99G
    Surface: High Metal-Rich Content
    Map

    Weber Legacy - Ross 905
    Gravity: 4.74G
    Surface: High Metal-Rich Content
    Map


    GOOD LUCK!

    Drive fast, CMDR!


    A WORD OF WARNING!

    Landing a ship on a high-G world is very dangerous! Successfully landing on your designated pad is very difficult! Please take extra care when approaching the race locations. You might want to consider docking at a nearby space station first, and maybe using a cheap, highly maneuverable ship in which to transport your SRV. Don't skimp on the thrusters or power distributor though. If acting as a Navigator for someone else, you should consider using a Ship-Launched Fighter. They are very light weight and highly maneuverable, making them well-suited to flitting around over high-G worlds.

  2. #2
    This is not an "intent to race" post ('cos I know doing that would start the clock ticking), just an "I intend to give this a try" post (and because I feel sad that nobody else has posted anything here yet). Great stuff Jhyrryl, those courses look amazing (although pretty damn daunting I have to say). Because I'm generally in-game at a somewhat unsociable hour (6am UK time) when I can't really use my mic without waking the family up I'm still currently thinking that I'll be running this without a spotter but, having seen those layouts (you're not easing us in gently with season one are you!) I'm starting to seriously doubt my ability to memorise all those twists and turns. Oh well, I'll give it a try (probably sometime after the expo which is occupying my thoughts at the moment).

    (new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

  3. This is the last staff post in this thread. #3
    This looks excellent! I might give it a go on my personal account at some point, but no doubt I will crash and burn hard. For now, though, I'll add it to this week's newsletter so we can try and get some folks burning rubber around these courses. I wonder, have you thought about one around one of the ancient ruins? This could also make for an interesting short-distance sprint course of sorts.
    Totally not a Thargoid sympathiser and/or servant. Honest.

    Imperial, opulent, and endlessly rubbish with landing pads. :/

  4. #4
    I've been meaning to do one of these for a while, this looks quite a challenge! Maybe ill ask the wife to map read?! lol Im at Harrison Installation having a practice run or 50.

  5. #5
    Definitely planning to try this at some point, although it'll be tricky to do without a spotter. I have to admit my enthusiasm for SRV has dropped since finding the framerate bug... intentionally hamstringing my beautiful new graphics card so that my SRV doesn't feel broken is a terrible choice to have to make. Maybe on-ground maneuvers are unchanged? I haven't had a chance to really test that yet.
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    This is not an "intent to race" post ('cos I know doing that would start the clock ticking), just an "I intend to give this a try" post (and because I feel sad that nobody else has posted anything here yet). Great stuff Jhyrryl, those courses look amazing (although pretty damn daunting I have to say). Because I'm generally in-game at a somewhat unsociable hour (6am UK time) when I can't really use my mic without waking the family up I'm still currently thinking that I'll be running this without a spotter but, having seen those layouts (you're not easing us in gently with season one are you!) I'm starting to seriously doubt my ability to memorise all those twists and turns. Oh well, I'll give it a try (probably sometime after the expo which is occupying my thoughts at the moment).
    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Definitely planning to try this at some point, although it'll be tricky to do without a spotter.
    The race organizer will be available to assist with navigation; and we're generally on around the same time, Alec. I'm happy to try too coordinate with you too, SuchiCW. We've got three months to get runs in for everyone who would like the help, so

    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    I have to admit my enthusiasm for SRV has dropped since finding the framerate bug... intentionally hamstringing my beautiful new graphics card so that my SRV doesn't feel broken is a terrible choice to have to make. Maybe on-ground maneuvers are unchanged? I haven't had a chance to really test that yet.
    Gravity is heavy enough that you don't really have much opportunity for maneuvering while in the air. I am unaware of any turning radius issues associated with higher frame rate, however.

    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    This looks excellent! I might give it a go on my personal account at some point, but no doubt I will crash and burn hard. For now, though, I'll add it to this week's newsletter so we can try and get some folks burning rubber around these courses. I wonder, have you thought about one around one of the ancient ruins? This could also make for an interesting short-distance sprint course of sorts.
    Awesome! Note that this doesn't start until the 1st and goes until the end of December, so if you've got other community stuff happening in association with the release of 2.4, please let that have priority. Also, there is likely to be a live event weekend at some point, so if I can be greedy, wouldn't mind holding off on a newsletter blurb until that's ready.

    As for ancient ruins...that sounds like an interesting twist for a future season since there are more than enough variants between the three layouts. Thanks for the idea!

  7. #7
    I'm planning to have a go. They seem a little more complicated than the trial one lol!

    I'm kind of adopting Ceres Tarn as a home base in preparation for 2.4 content so I can get some practice in

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    The race organizer will be available to assist with navigation; and we're generally on around the same time, Alec.
    Errr, cool tho' that would be ... isn't there a conflict of interest with having the person who created the race being my co-pilot?

    (new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Errr, cool tho' that would be ... isn't there a conflict of interest with having the person who created the race being my co-pilot?
    Unlike this craziness (thanks for the link, Bruski) we are strictly testing your ability to drive skillfully, not your navigator's ability to read a map/notes. Besides, just because I drew the lines, doesn't mean I'm your (or anyone else's) best option.

    Hmm, maybe it's not clear in the rules, so I'll need to call that out...using a navigator doesn't create a unique team. Anyone can navigate for as many drivers as they can find.

  10. #10
    CMDR Bruski has discovered a couple of minor discrepancies on the Weber Legacy map. A corrected map, along with unmarked versions of all maps, will be available in a few hours.

  11. #11
    Nice work jhyrryl! Once I finish taking care of some bizness in the pleiades I'm gonna give this a shot.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by subhouse07 View Post (Source)
    Nice work jhyrryl! Once I finish taking care of some bizness in the pleiades I'm gonna give this a shot.
    Well, the race doesn't start until the 1st of Oct., but it can't hurt to familiarized yourself with the course...and one of the courses is out near the Pleiades anyway.

  13. #13

    New Weber Legacy Map & Unannotated Maps

    The new Weber Legacy map has been uploaded (will be on Discord shortly). Additionally, here are the unannotated maps, as requested.

    Imgur Album

  14. #14
    Wow! i've been away from the game for a while and coming back to this is great! i think i'll be printing out and scribbling bearings on the maps.

    it'll probably take 3 months to complete the courses correctly

    (the link in the 'intent to race..' paragraph doesn't work)
    CMDR <-lightspeed-> Expert | ELITE | ELITE but mostly Buckyball Racer
    ship ID : BRC<->

    <-lightspeed-> Explorer Tours
    The HIP Hopper }{ Distant Worlds }{ Colonia/Jaques


  15. #15
    Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    Wow! i've been away from the game for a while and coming back to this is great! i think i'll be printing out and scribbling bearings on the maps.

    it'll probably take 3 months to complete the courses correctly

    (the link in the 'intent to race..' paragraph doesn't work)
    Thanks, fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast