Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 278

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

  1. #151
    Hi guys ... just stumbled across an old video somebody made for the Tunnel Vision race. Was gonna post it on the original race thread but it's been locked. It's good fun so I thought I'd post it here instead.


  2. #152
    whoop!

    managed to get a Bubble run in, just before the servers went down ! (nothing like a deadline to focus the mind)

    having done next to nothing for several weeks i was a bit race rusty, but managed to have fun and that's the main thing.

  3. #153
    Finally the last exam lies behind me, so there's time for racing now!
    Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs. Driving instead of flyving isn't a good solution to this problem, since I'd be way too impatient for this. Maybe going faster? Higher speed means fewer landings, but it feels like there's a coin toss when going > 80 m/s: Either a perfect bounce with 0 % damage, or a double impact with 2 * 50 %...

  4. #154
    Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs.


    Errr, sorry, no, ... what I meant to say was ... that's terrible news ... how can we help?


  5. #155
    *walks into the bar, and picks up a drink*

    Okay, I've arrived!

    More importantly my ships' systems have been hand tuned by their maintenance crews, the optimal routes for the various races have been plotted, bookmarks have been set, and the pilot is all set to go! My Lakon Type-9 Heavy, complete with that delightful new ship smell, is on the docking pad, ready to leap into action!

    Right after I do some real life fetch quests.

  6. #156
    Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    Finally the last exam lies behind me, so there's time for racing now!
    Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs. Driving instead of flyving isn't a good solution to this problem, since I'd be way too impatient for this. Maybe going faster? Higher speed means fewer landings, but it feels like there's a coin toss when going > 80 m/s: Either a perfect bounce with 0 % damage, or a double impact with 2 * 50 %...
    Yeah there's definitely an unpredictable factor that gets worse the faster you go. You can influence it (speed, angle, finding ideal LZs) but can't entirely control it, so you have to balance the need to go fast with the need to get to the end in one piece and come to a safe stop. I love no-repair SRV races.

  7. #157
    easily confused.com and i didn't do the original Wasat Rally.

    seeking clarification on screenshots. i think it's a screenie from Elwood Landing pad (prior to deploying SRV) and one from Ferguson landing pad (once SRV has boarded ship). am i correct?
    oh, and i can repair if im not doing the ironbucky, right?

  8. #158
    Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    seeking clarification on screenshots. i think it's a screenie from Elwood Landing pad (prior to deploying SRV) and one from Ferguson landing pad (once SRV has boarded ship). am i correct?
    Yes, I believe so.

    Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    oh, and i can repair if im not doing the ironbucky, right?
    Yes, definitely.

  9. #159
    Yes exactly as Drakhyr says.
    The SRV time is between docked ship screenshots, that's how Kligg did it, because there wasn't a cockpit clock at the time. And SRV repairs are fine, but not in the Ironbucky.

    Also welcome back cookiehole, please could you remove the cookiebots from the leaderboard(s) - anyone would think that I can't handle 15 boards without making mistakes!

  10. #160
    Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    Finally the last exam lies behind me, so there's time for racing now!
    Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs. Driving instead of flyving isn't a good solution to this problem, since I'd be way too impatient for this. Maybe going faster? Higher speed means fewer landings, but it feels like there's a coin toss when going > 80 m/s: Either a perfect bounce with 0 % damage, or a double impact with 2 * 50 %...
    I missed the first four ironbucky slots because of bad timing and time zone confusion (slots end at 6pm here, which is right before my free time of two kids in bed at 7PM), and my fifth slot ended in a double explosion. I tried racing with a new SRV after one blew up, I'm not sure that's allowed, but it might be the only way I can complete an Ironbucky run, and I'm not even sure if that will do it. Disappointing, since the last leaderboard I missed was the Alphabet of Science.

    Currently accepting any and all tips on just how to complete the Wasat section. My last attempt ended up with me crawling below 20m/s over 10km on 2% hull, then bumping a tiny rock at 15 m/s, and blowing up I then proceeded to curse the Wasat Rally, the Ironbucky Trophy, Buckyballing, SRV driving, SRV flivving, Elite's stupid damage model, the incomprehensibly ineffective SRV shields, and generally everything within a 50 km radius.

    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Yeah there's definitely an unpredictable factor that gets worse the faster you go. You can influence it (speed, angle, finding ideal LZs) but can't entirely control it, so you have to balance the need to go fast with the need to get to the end in one piece and come to a safe stop. I love no-repair SRV races.
    I have found my archnemesis.

  11. #161
    Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I missed the first four ironbucky slots because of bad timing
    We're only onto Ironbucky slot 3. The last two slots are at weekend, but slot 3 also lasts until the end.

    The idea (with the original one week format) was to encourage a few early Ironbucky attempts and then to save the rest for the final weekend - but to allow a midweek run for anyone who can't get time at weekend.

    I wanted a one shot kind of system to give a better chance to those who can't make dozens of runs, with the single events running the normal way and rewarding multiple attempts.

    I sympathise about the fliving - I suck in SRVs. I felt really guilty when you shook your head muttered something and went to fold laundry.

    But you still beat my Wassat Cup (zero repairs) time, even leaving your SRV trundling towards Ferguson with nobody I control for 10 minutes.

    You can repair as much as you like in the non-Ironbucky Wasat Rally.

    In the Ironbucky I think it's only fair to allow multiple SRVs if you fit a bigger hangar.

  12. #162
    Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    We're only onto Ironbucky slot 3. The last two slots are at weekend, but slot 3 also lasts until the end.
    Sorry, I was counting each slot as double, because of Open and Cobra attempts (total of 10 slots), your way makes more sense.

  13. #163
    Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I missed the first four ironbucky slots because of bad timing and time zone confusion (slots end at 6pm here, which is right before my free time of two kids in bed at 7PM), and my fifth slot ended in a double explosion. I tried racing with a new SRV after one blew up, I'm not sure that's allowed, but it might be the only way I can complete an Ironbucky run, and I'm not even sure if that will do it. Disappointing, since the last leaderboard I missed was the Alphabet of Science.

    Currently accepting any and all tips on just how to complete the Wasat section. My last attempt ended up with me crawling below 20m/s over 10km on 2% hull, then bumping a tiny rock at 15 m/s, and blowing up I then proceeded to curse the Wasat Rally, the Ironbucky Trophy, Buckyballing, SRV driving, SRV flivving, Elite's stupid damage model, the incomprehensibly ineffective SRV shields, and generally everything within a 50 km radius.



    I have found my archnemesis.
    I got less damage by taking a slightly lounger route, left side of the first crater. The ground is a bit flatter there. But there's a lot of rocks. Also a bit faster, but that's probably because I didn't tumble as much as usual.

    Edit: Had 33% hull left. Personal best.

  14. #164
    I had considered allowing non-synthesis SRV repairs (ie by recalling your ship, entering and leaving) in the Ironbucky, as this would be a considerable time penalty, but would make the Ironbucky more accessible.

    Nuk decided this wasn't hard-core enough, but it might be a good idea for future "no-repair" SRV races, as it's a much bigger time hit than using synthesis while airborne.

  15. #165
    Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I had considered allowing non-synthesis SRV repairs (ie by recalling your ship, entering and leaving) in the Ironbucky, as this would be a considerable time penalty, but would make the Ironbucky more accessible.

    Nuk decided this wasn't hard-core enough, but it might be a good idea for future "no-repair" SRV races, as it's a much bigger time hit than using synthesis while airborne.
    That sounds like a nice compromise. Your "pit stop" becomes a reasonably meaningful time investment, without being ruinous.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast