Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    Initial Cobra Classic Station Scramble time submitted.

I have a question regarding Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings challenge: does the mailslot itself count as station exterior or interior?
    Now that I'm looking through video for a timestamp to give Raiko, I have the same question. I'm going to guess the airlock zone is "outside", and the first frame w/o the force screen's blue haze is what he's looking for.

edit: and now that I read the rules better, it clearly says inside the slot, which I assume is inside the airlock (but not the toast rack).

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I'm even prepared to take your ship clock time from any point before the main scanner display reappears - rather than the station clock. So you're not disadvantaged by the turnaround time after hitting launch when you've just landed.
    I don't think you mean that, I've just been looking at my IronBucky video and I'm pratically through the mailslot before the main radar display appears. I've chosen a screenshot that I think is fair - it's basically just before my ship starts lifting off. I think all you can do here is rely on honesty.

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Deal made with the wife. Ironbucky attempt declaration submitted.
    Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Could such a run deserve an additional "Ironmarriage" badge/bonus for the added psychological pressure?
    My wife and I are more solid than iron. We knew each other for 14 years before we got married, and even worked together for 12 of those.

3 more submissions made for the separate parts of my IronBucky Run

lol

Been there, done that

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    lol

Been there, done that
    Ditto ...classic, the old "on your marks, get set, enter the hangar" run.

I think you're overcomplicating the launch time thing. After launch you have a five-minute countdown to leave the station. All you need to do to determine the start time is count the number of seconds elapsed on the countdown then subtract that number from the HUD clock time.
    . . . |\_/| . . .
    . . .>(o.o)<. . .
    . . . ( ¤ ),. . .
    . . . ^^ ^^ . . .
    The above is a 100% authentic furrycat post.
    Read with confidence wherever you see the cat symbol.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm, satire and traces of irony.

Is it me or have the planetary bases on Wasat A2E got bigger? I started the SRV section of my IronBucky run from the wrong end of Elwood Camp and it seemed to took AGES to drive through it to the other side.

My wife and I are more solid than iron. We knew each other for 14 years before we got married, and even worked together for 12 of those.
    Thanks, that's a precious bit of information, one that I can make count should the need arise with my better half (together for the last 11 years and counting): "...see? There are others like us!"

Been there too, done that too.

Sorry about the lack of update last night. I had a mega-busy weekend.
    I did get the leaderboard tables drafted though, so I'll write a full report of the weekend runs this evening.

For anyone who can't make it around the full Ironbucky route, you have my sympathy - I also suck at flyving - I'm possibly the ideal person to run a race with SRV content, so that those who are good at it can actually take part.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I don't think you mean that, I've just been looking at my IronBucky video and I'm pratically through the mailslot before the main radar display appears. I've chosen a screenshot that I think is fair - it's basically just before my ship starts lifting off. I think all you can do here is rely on honesty.
    Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    I think you're overcomplicating the launch time thing. After launch you have a five-minute countdown to leave the station. All you need to do to determine the start time is count the number of seconds elapsed on the countdown then subtract that number from the HUD clock time.
    Thanks for that - furrycat's idea is simple and excellent.

I've not been able to play for a few days, so didn't varify that my "when the scanner appears" works, you're correct Alec that I didn't mean that. I just wanted an easy way for parts of Ironbucky runs to be valid as single event runs without being disadvantaged. furrycat's idea works great.

Now that I'm looking through video for a timestamp to give Raiko, I have the same question. I'm going to guess the airlock zone is "outside", and the first frame w/o the force screen's blue haze is what he's looking for.

edit: and now that I read the rules better, it clearly says inside the slot, which I assume is inside the airlock (but not the toast rack).
    For the purpose of evidence - the cage counts as "exterior" - the slot / blue stuff counts as "interior."

I'm just looking for evidence that you're going through the slot at a reckless velocity (or actually inside the docking bay), if you submit a screenshot or a video timestamp that you honestly think shows that, then it's almost certain that I'll be happy with it. I trust everyone's honesty.

Excellent - I've done a few of those myself, and the 3, 2, 1, let's check station services takeoff.

Is it me or have the planetary bases on Wasat A2E got bigger? I started the SRV section of my IronBucky run from the wrong end of Elwood Camp and it seemed to took AGES to drive through it to the other side.
    I noticed from your screenshots that Elwood is now one of the big round surface starports, which it certainly wasn't in the original Buggyball.

Robin's OP clearly shows that it was smaller than Ferguson at that time.

Still those big ground starports are so cool to land at.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    I'll have to take a crack at the IronBucky, although I'm not expecting too much from myself: my ship isn't optimized for fast interstellar travel, and my newly-upgraded video card means severely handicapped SRV driving. Should be fun anyway!

CMDR Tannik Seldon
    Million-to-One Chance
    Keelback
    Ironbucky
    Open-Unlimited

I guess I could also grab a Cobra instead, but I doubt it would make much of a difference on the leaderboard.
    I hope that you manage to overcome the frame rate problem, I've really been curious to see whether the SRV experts like you and Nookie can gain a big enough lead to overcome the faster ship runs of the likes of AkenB and Cookiehole.

Plus it was your request for no repairs in the SRV section that inspired the final format of the Festival / Ironbucky - to cater for both repair and no-repair SRV runs.

I've not been able to play for a few days, so didn't varify that my "when the scanner appears" works, you're correct Alec that I didn't mean that. I just wanted an easy way for parts of Ironbucky runs to be valid as single event runs without being disadvantaged. furrycat's idea works great.
    OK - hopefully what I've done with my take-off screenshots for my Bubble Tour and Station Scramble sections are still acceptable but if not feel free to do the maths or else ask me for more screenshots (I should probably upload the video at some point too but it's HUGE).

I noticed from your screenshots that Elwood is now one of the big round surface starports, which it certainly wasn't in the original Buggyball.
    Actually it's not one of the circular walled cities (that were so popular in Total Recall 1 ... NOT ... "where's the damn exit ramp!!!!") but it is big.

Robin's OP clearly shows that it was smaller than Ferguson at that time.

Still those big ground starports are so cool to land at.
    OK - hopefully what I've done with my take-off screenshots for my Bubble Tour and Station Scramble sections are still acceptable but if not feel free to do the maths or else ask me for more screenshots (I should probably upload the video at some point too but it's HUGE).

Actually it's not one of the circular walled cities (that were so popular in Total Recall 1 ... NOT ... "where's the damn exit ramp!!!!") but it is big.
    As Alec noted, the layouts haven't changed. As for getting bigger...I don't think so? I spent quite a bit of time zooming around outposts when Horizons was first released, and again in preparation for Road Rally Racing a year later. I didn't notice anything different.

Elwood matches a less common variant of a very common footprint for 6-pad outposts. Season 1 of Road Rally Racing has two locations that use the same landing pad configuration (Harrison Installation and Moore Beacon), but with different configurations of "non-functional" buildings. Season 2 will feature a location with the exact same layout at Elwood.

Ferguson, on the other hand...looks like a variant on another very common footprint for 6-pads that I had yet identified. It has pads that are the same as Ceres Tarn and Jordan Market, but I hadn't seen that interior layout before...I'll have to do some more research for future seasons. I suspect that my 100+ outpost research project wasn't large enough to get representative sampling to allow me to make judgement about the commonality of each base/variant layout.

"Buckyballers deny organised crime link"

http://laveradio.com/Galnet/170928Galnet.mp3

4m25s

Awesome!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast