Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

I'm back!

At least somewhat. The combination of exams, being away from my computer for most of the rest of the time and poor time management in the few occasions where I could have played the game has effectively prevented me from racing. Finally, I should have time to sneak in an early IronBucky attempt this week and probably more time to race properly next week
    I'm really sorry to have missed The Lion's Back, it looked like a lot of fun from reading the race thread afterwards. Now if I only knew why I have no memories of the race week at all... I woke up the Monday after it with my clothes smelling like the cookiebots always do when they've been around my Adder for too long...
    Whatever!

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    So depending who enters what, we could get the 15 leaderboards. Let's see if Cookiehole has time to enter and to top them all.
    15* wins with one race? I mean who could say no to that?
    * Maybe being very optimistic has a positive effect on actual performance?

Intent to race:
    CMDR Cookiehole
    Probably DBX "RATtlesnake", iCourier "Crater Creator"
    Ironbucky, Station Scramble, Bubble Tour, Wasat Rally
    Open Unlimited
    maybe also Cobra Classic.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Update: New CMDR seems to have found a vessel smaller than a sidewinder to travel in, but his brother is helping him with speed.
    (Everyone is well, return trip was slower, Buckyballing resumed on limited schedule).
    Congrats!

Also, is it just me, or does the Cobra Mk III with 4A thrusters feel incredibly sluggish to control, and like it has no brakes at all?
    It's nearly as bad as the Asp. Which makes sense, considering the Asp is the Cobra's bigger brother when it comes to multipurpose ships. I mean, these things have to have a longer braking distance than a fully laden Type-9

I've made an attempt at a no-repair-Wasat and, as expected, this could cause severe headache. Down to 1 % hull with 10 km to go, exploded within 3 km of the base.

Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    About time! We missed you!

...we, we m-missed him, right? Right?

I gave the Wasat rally a try last night. Figured that I have plenty ov experience with the SRV... yeah. I rolled more then I drove, got the first 20km or so before I had to call my ship to fly home in shame. Guess I'll try it again later.

But first for the space-flight-stuff:

I hereby intent to race:

Pilot: Cmdr Hossi
    Ship Name: Red Racer
    Ship Type: ASPX
    (maybe I'll try something else later on)
    Events: Station Scramble, Bubble Tour
    Class: Open-Unlimited

Maybe I'll try it also with one of my ICouriers, at least for the Station Scramble. Just have to pimp it a bit first...

HELP!
    Can I use synthesis in the Wasat Rally. I'm in a buggy with 1% Hull.

Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    I gave the Wasat rally a try last night. Figured that I have plenty ov experience with the SRV... yeah. I rolled more then I drove, got the first 20km or so before I had to call my ship to fly home in shame. Guess I'll try it again later.

But first for the space-flight-stuff:

I hereby intent to race:

Pilot: Cmdr Hossi
    Ship Name: Red Racer
    Ship Type: ASPX
    (maybe I'll try something else later on)
    Events: Station Scramble, Bubble Tour
    Class: Open-Unlimited

Maybe I'll try it also with one of my ICouriers, at least for the Station Scramble. Just have to pimp it a bit first...
    You might not have needed to quit. It's fine to repair so long as you're not running in the Ironbucky Trophy.

If it was just apparently taking too long, then bare in mind that I am arguably the worst SRV racer in the BRC. My time in the original Wasat Cup over this course was 43 minutes (Elwood to Ferguson). I'm sure I'd be much faster now, but I certainly couldn't complete an Ironbucky run much faster.

I'd still be giving a shot if this were someone else's race though. Making the rest of you look good.

Originally Posted by CMDR PlungedSphere34 View Post (Source)
    HELP!
    Can I use synthesis in the Wasat Rally. I'm in a buggy with 1% Hull.
    You can make repairs with synthesis if you're doing the single event Wasat Rally, but not if you're running in the Ironbucky Trophy.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    You might not have needed to quit. It's fine to repair so long as you're not running in the Ironbucky Trophy.

You can make repairs with synthesis if you're doing the single event Wasat Rally, but not if you're running in the Ironbucky Trophy.
    I owe you. Thanks.

After replacing the system drive in my game machine, I've finally found a little time to race:

Intent to race:

CMDR Stern Winter
    Cobra Classic
    Ship name "Bi-Weekly Penguin"
    Events: Station Scramble, Bubble Tour and whatever else I'll find time for

@Bruski: Congratulations on the new Pilots Federation cadet 07

Originally Posted by Hossi View Post (Source)
    Good plan! I had another crack at the station scramble in my Ironman fitted DBX after improving my time in the Bubble Tour and came to exactly the same conclusion. That said, Jak has done great things in the underrated Adder.

Expo tomorrow ... If I get a spare ten seconds in the morning I'll post exact the details of the expo race course over here in case anyone who isn't coming along wants to try their hand at it for fun ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...wn-star-system!)

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

I can't normally post updates on Thursday nights, so here's two days worth of updates to catch up.

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing - Current Standings - 00:00 GMT 07-OCT-3303

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

No new Ironbucky Trophy runs to report at the moment, so just a reminder from Nuk that if you're planning to compete in the Ironbucky the second slot for runs closes in less than 24 hours as we reach the halfway point of the Festival of Racing. Slot 3 will then be available until right until the end of the festival, together with the two final slots available on the closing weekend.

OPEN UNLIMITED CLASS

CMDR Aken B. was busy on Thursday making runs in all three events in open unlimited. Aken moved into first place in both the Station Scramble (20:27) and Wasat Rally (22:35) events flying his Imperial Eagle Preemptive Exploder, as well registering the fastest SRV time so far, covering the 50km course in an impressive 14:41.

In the Bubble Tour, Aken lies in second position, his 33:33 run in the DBX Bucket of Bolts just over a minute slower than Alec's run and only a few seconds faster than CMDR Jak. Every pilot has reported problems with their Bubble Tour runs so far, so there's definitely still significant gains to be made by a clean run.

These three runs also mean that Aken B. has the overall lead in Open Unlimited class with a total time of 1h16m35s giving him a lead of almost three minutes from Alec Turner.

COBRA CLASSIC CLASS

Buckyball regular CMDR Stern Winter entered the Cobra Classic Bubble Tour in his Mk III Bi-Weekly Penguin, his time of 47:27 was less than one minute slower than Samwell Darkhyr's run, so it looks like this event could be tight just as tight in the Cobras as in Open Unlimited.

WASAT CUP COURSE - SRV TIMES

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    About time! We missed you!

...we, we m-missed him, right? Right?
    I missed him! *bear hugs*

Good ol'cookie buddy ol' pal. Now where's that Adder?

Second Open Station Scramble run submitted, since I forgot to record the first. Should manage to make me look good on the leaderboard for a couple days before I get bumped down.

Ironbucky pre-register submitted.

(Note: Raiko, there was a weird behavior with the page, so you may get two pre-regs. Sorry about that.)

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Ironbucky pre-register submitted.

(Note: Raiko, there was a weird behavior with the page, so you may get two pre-regs. Sorry about that.)
    15 minutes later - Worse wasat run of the event.

Run Overview.
    I nearly blew up my SRV by crashing into rocks. But I nearly managed to jump over a crater, which felt good. A collision with a rock put me down to 1% integrity. I panicked and drove along at 10, while I quickly asked about using synthesis. Commander Raiko came to the rescue and said I could use synthesis. I hit the button and watched the bar fill up, thinking:
    "With my luck on Buckyball Runs, I'll probably hit a rock and blow up while the repair activates."
    I didn't explode, and drove full speed to the port. I was so relieved to be back on my ship, I forgot to get a screenshot. I realised my mistake, and took one just as my ship jumped to hyperspace.

Well, that was brutal. I clearly don't have what it takes (in terms of ship or patience) for long-distance buckyballing. That bubble tour segment had me pulling my hair out!

The Greg asteroid base was awesome, though.

I was also **this** close to getting 1:30:00 on the dot, but was about 15 seconds too slow.
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    15 minutes later - Worse wasat run of the event.
    Is it wrong that I repped that ... I feel bad for you but I know where you're coming from.

P.S. It's 1:40am after a very long expo so errr ... yeah

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast