Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Originally Posted by Polly View Post (Source)
    I got less damage by taking a slightly lounger route, left side of the first crater. The ground is a bit flatter there. But there's a lot of rocks. Also a bit faster, but that's probably because I didn't tumble as much as usual.

Edit: Had 33% hull left. Personal best.
    Thank you! <3 I'll try that soon.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I had considered allowing non-synthesis SRV repairs (ie by recalling your ship, entering and leaving) in the Ironbucky, as this would be a considerable time penalty, but would make the Ironbucky more accessible.

Nuk decided this wasn't hard-core enough, but it might be a good idea for future "no-repair" SRV races, as it's a much bigger time hit than using synthesis while airborne.
    *adding "Lil Nuk" to "Bruski's personal nemesis list"*

I just attempted the Wasat run and was patting myself on the back with just how fast my SRV was going and chuckling about how slow we all were the first time we ran it.

Then my hull was critical... then I exploded lol.

I'm afraid that is probably it from me for this race, we have guests arriving tomorrow for the weekend so I will probably not be allowed to play lol.

But you never know

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Thank you! <3 I'll try that soon.

*adding "Lil Nuk" to "Bruski's personal nemesis list"*
    Using my single* attempt on the Ironbucky first was definitely a tactical error. I should have tested the event first. Will I do this error again? Most likely.

* Out larping again this weekend. This time I'm both a mad scientist living on a mountain and a sea monster. What can possibly go wrong?

Okay, just completed my one and only run in the Type-9, for the station scramble. Uploading the video now.

On a positive note, I've got the fastest Type-9 entry in the race.

On a negative note, I've just encountered yet another problem with my CH HOTAS setup. The real frustrating thing is that I recently bought a new Fighterstick (the old one was OLD), and it's now doing the SAME THING as the old one. Time to spend some MORE time researching solutions to this problem.

edit:

For everyone's amusement, my Type-9 run. Highlights include several screwed up Supercruise approaches, several missed slots, dodging around a Beluga in the slot, barely missing impaling myself on a tower in a refinery station, and using a control tower AND an Anaconda to arrest my forward momentum.

Not recorded were my panicked exclamations, including several words not intended for little ears.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    My last attempt ended up with me crawling below 20m/s over 10km on 2% hull, then bumping a tiny rock at 15 m/s, and blowing up I then proceeded to curse the Wasat Rally, the Ironbucky Trophy, Buckyballing, SRV driving, SRV flivving, Elite's stupid damage model, the incomprehensibly ineffective SRV shields, and generally everything within a 50 km radius.
    I can understand, after my exceptionally timely disconnection of yesterday (mind you that I've not had a single disconnection for months, up until that exact, fateful moment) I think to have cursed practically all of the fermionic matter in a radius of a dozen light years. Also, there are a handful of deities you probably never heard of, but yes they exist, and yes they have been cursed. Thoroughly.

No attempts from me for this evening because Blade Runner (a real feast for the eyes, btw), I'll see if I can put together again some time for a new Ironbucky attempt but real life is interfering pretty hard, and not always in pleasant ways as this evening. At least I flived faster than SushiCW. For a while, at least.

Oof just caught wind of this. Gonna give that Wasat Rally a shot. My flivin bones are a little rusty, so Im just hoping to break into the sub 30 time.

Commander Brabston, Timmy
    Sepiida-00
    Diamondback Scout
    Srv name: Big Soda
    Wasat Rally
    Open unlimited

Here wee go!

Had a really scrappy Wasat run this morning (including an obscured jump back) so nothing to report there, then tried another Bubble Tour, stripping off the shields to save a jump. Got interdicted, nearly smacked into Jak in Mitzi's blue zone and ended up with a time of 32:33 (checks scoreboard ... doh!).

Also - Cmdr Timmy Brabston spotted on the Wasat course!

I'm just editing down my original Ironbucky Wasat stage for a music video, will upload later on from work.

Fly Fast and Flive Cautious (but fast) ... err .. I don't know, just Fly Casual!

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

HAd the best Wasat run of my life...until that damn rock in Ferguson decided to shred my SRV. Decided to follow Alec's lead and make another attempt at the Tour since the time I have on the board is still my first attempt. However I ran out of fuel and had to re-plot, due to forgetting to adjust my route filtering. Managed to knock off a full minute anywa, but it doesn't change my position on any boards (except for turning up the heat on the BBQ challenge). I'll do better with next attempt.

Also had a close encounter of the Alec kind as we ran the course in opposite directions! Will upload that clip later for laughs.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Also had a close encounter of the Alec kind as we ran the course in opposite directions! Will upload that clip later for laughs.
    I checked my clip but, with our combined speed, you were only in it for about a hundredth of a second. I'm afraid I've deleted it now.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I checked my clip but, with our combined speed, you were only in it for about a hundredth of a second. I'm afraid I've deleted it now.
    Yeah, not on the screen very long.

Brash Dock, Landing pad 4.
    Ship: Slave of the Empire

Okay! All systems are online. Software patches applied. Dead zones and response curves recalibrated. Fusion generator online! Let's go!

*The Slave lists badly to starboard, taking 30% damage in the process*

Shield generator: needs to be installed!

HI'm just editing down my original Ironbucky Wasat stage for a music video, will upload later on from work.

Fly Fast and Flive Cautious (but fast) ... err .. I don't know, just Fly Casual!
    OK, here we go folks. I'm a fool to myself but, for your education and entertainment, here's my Ironbucky SRV stage ..

HD 1080p version should be ready by the time you see this.

P.S. apologies for the occasional glitches but my headtracking was going nuts for some reason.

P.P.S. for the observant amongst you, yes - I do indeed get myself set up for repair synthesis at the start but it was force of habit only, never actually used it.

OK, here we go folks. I'm a fool to myself but, for your education and entertainment, here's my Ironbucky SRV stage ..

https://youtu.be/ah2DVLCXMLE

Hey! I had rep to give for once, that's some big news!

Very good fliving , running/flying over craters rims is always a thrill...If only we could do it at that actual speed, I think my ships would gather a lot of rust!
    Also, judging by your video (and all the many before this from others SRV champions, I admit) I guess I should really get myself a proper headtracking gizmo...uhm, my birthday is in five days, and now wireless EDtrackers are a thing...uhmmm ...

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Hey! I had rep to give for once, that's some big news!

Very good fliving , running/flying over craters rims is always a thrill...If only we could do it at that actual speed, I think my ships would gather a lot of rust!
    Also, judging by your video (and all the many before this from others SRV champions, I admit) I guess I should really get myself a proper headtracking gizmo...uhm, my birthday is in five days, and now wireless EDtrackers are a thing...uhmmm ...
    Aside from the glitching when I tilt my head right back (love my TrackIR5 but I suspect EDTracker might not suffer from this - it's to do with the IR sensor losing track of the reflective pads on my baseball hat brim) I basically couldn't fly/flive without headtracking now.

DO IT!

Alright, after much research, an attempt at repair, several attempts to deal with customer service, the loss of an evening's racing, and moreover an extremely frustrating attempt at a Cobra Classic run, I have to declare that my love affair with CH Products is at an end. The only g thing that's working at all well at the moment is my throttle. The joystick is new enough that it shouldn't be having ANY problems, let alone the exact same problem I had earlier this year. My pedals have been reading off center as well.

This wasn't as noticeable (or maybe the problem wasn't as bad) in my Type-9 or my Python, or when out exploring for that matter, but attempting any precision flying at high speeds, and then having your ship suddenly unable to roll to port, or yaw right into the wall, is not in any way fun. So it looks like I'll be spending the rest of the race cheering from the sidelines.

For years, I've had my eye on this piece of equipment: Thrustmaster Warthog. I got confirmation on Tuesday that we're getting our quarterly bonus. My current controllers (not counting the Fighterstick, which I'm shipping to CH since it's still under warranty) are extremely long in the tooth, so I think its time to indulge a little. ETA for the new controllers are Tuesday, so I'm going to see if I can put up with the near-digital response curves and dead zones required to keep my current controllers somewhat usable for a few days.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast