Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    OK, here we go folks. I'm a fool to myself but, for your education and entertainment, here's my Ironbucky SRV stage ..
    Really nice run with some clutch disaster recovery.
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Really nice run with some clutch disaster recovery.
    Coming from you I will take that as a compliment of the highest order. You can probably now see why my nerves were somewhat frazzled at the end of that Ironbucky run. What with the headtracking glitches, the last minute near-disaster recovery rolls and then a bubble and station tour tacked on the end (in the latter stages of which I foolishly started entertaining the notion of server disconnects and PC blue screens, which I do get very occasionally) - well basically I had to drink quite a lot of gin before I stopped shaking.

I'm planning on doing at least one more Ironbucky at the weekend but I'm honestly not sure if I can reproduce that again.

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

Made another Ironbucky attempt, died 4km from Ferguson at 1% at 17m/s. I respawned at Ferguson, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Just submitted a Cobra Classic scramble run made earlier today. Sometimes I forget just how good it is to fly the Elite classic.

I've updated the tables, which I didn't manage to finish doing yesterday. Unfortunately I've not had enough time tonight to write a commentary.

@superflyguy - I think you misunderstood the Wasat Rally - you still need to start and finish at Brash Dock. Rather than discard your SRV time, I've marked your Wasat Rally entry as DNF and listed your SRV time in the correct position, but marked as "unranked." If you have start and finish screenshots from Brash Dock for your run to and from Wasat, then send them me and I'll update the boards.

@everyone: I'll try to ensure that I give an update every day now until the end of the Festival. RL has got in the way a bit, but I should be able to prioritise the updates better for the last three days.

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing - Current Standings - 00:00 GMT 13-OCT-3303

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

OPEN UNLIMITED CLASS

COBRA CLASSIC CLASS

WASAT CUP COURSE - SRV TIMES

Had a really scrappy Wasat run this morning (including an obscured jump back) so nothing to report there, then tried another Bubble Tour, stripping off the shields to save a jump. Got interdicted, nearly smacked into Jak in Mitzi's blue zone and ended up with a time of 32:33 (checks scoreboard ... doh!).
    Morning update - blew up within 500m of Elwood and then went to do another Bubble Tour instead. Can you guess what time I got ... well CAN YOU?!?! Go on ... take a frickin' guess! Unbelievable.

Oh well, when life gives you lemons ... go and visit the Cave Johnson memorial science lab ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6028036

Morning update - blew up within 500m of Elwood and then went to do another Bubble Tour instead. Can you guess what time I got ... well CAN YOU?!?! Go on ... take a frickin' guess! Unbelievable.

Oh well, when life gives you lemons ... go and visit the Cave Johnson memorial science lab ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6028036
    You're showing a high degree of reproducibility! A statistican would be all warm and fuzzy inside!

Cave Johnson memorial science lab = The Giant Space Syringe

And I thought I was doing well on consistency with my Bubble Tour Cobra times, where the difference between my fastest and third fastest times is six seconds...

This is cursed. 11 attempts so far, 7 destroyed SRVs, 3 more or less successful runs with repairs (all without the ship part of the run though) and now a my internet is acting up during what could have been an actual relatively fast run. Not sure if I'll complete an Ironbucky run at all. I'm getting more frustrated about the damage model (or my inability to understand it) every run
    Maybe I'll try to complete the spreadsheet for calculating the periods of obscured jump targets first and then give the race another go.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    For years, I've had my eye on this piece of equipment: Thrustmaster Warthog. I got confirmation on Tuesday that we're getting our quarterly bonus. My current controllers (not counting the Fighterstick, which I'm shipping to CH since it's still under warranty) are extremely long in the tooth, so I think its time to indulge a little. ETA for the new controllers are Tuesday, so I'm going to see if I can put up with the near-digital response curves and dead zones required to keep my current controllers somewhat usable for a few days.
    Cmdr, about the Warthog... is very beautiful and has silky responses in all the axis and it's a pleasure to use... but it's not easy to setup (seriously!).
    To tweak the response of the axis you need to create a GUI configuration in their application (Target GUI)...
    You need to setup your Elite controls to the mouse and keyboard and modify all there, so everything has a letter/number/key... take notes of every key...
    Then in their application (Target GUI) need to remap all the control of the HOTAS (and pedals, that are required) to the letter/number/key in the Elite control-set...
    After this, the application saves a GUI configuration that you need to run before starting Elite.

Cmdr Aussiedroid do a guide about this
    Cmdr Inodoro Pereyra ...nothing to brag about...

Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    This is cursed. 11 attempts so far, 7 destroyed SRVs, 3 more or less successful runs with repairs (all without the ship part of the run though) and now a my internet is acting up during what could have been an actual relatively fast run. Not sure if I'll complete an Ironbucky run at all. I'm getting more frustrated about the damage model (or my inability to understand it) every run
    Maybe I'll try to complete the spreadsheet for calculating the periods of obscured jump targets first and then give the race another go.
    Dang, that's genuinely sad. Having lost another SRV down there myself this morning I have to say it is a tough one. Pretty much the entire route is scattered with those little rocks that you only see at the last minute but which can really wipe you out. I could be wrong but I think my number one tip is to always save a little bit of boost for emergencies.

Dang, that's genuinely sad. Having lost another SRV down there myself this morning I have to say it is a tough one. Pretty much the entire route is scattered with those little rocks that you only see at the last minute but which can really wipe you out. I could be wrong but I think my number one tip is to always save a little bit of boost for emergencies.
    Yep, I do that most of the time. However, for me it's not the rocks most of the time, but mostly the "normal" landings. I'm not sure if I'm just landing too hard or tilt a bit too much forwards, but it's the seemingly normal bounces that often remove around 10 % hull at the moment of the suspension compressing. I'm down to 50 % hull at 35 km out most of the time.

Originally Posted by cookiehole View Post (Source)
    Yep, I do that most of the time. However, for me it's not the rocks most of the time, but mostly the "normal" landings. I'm not sure if I'm just landing too hard or tilt a bit too much forwards, but it's the seemingly normal bounces that often remove around 10 % hull at the moment of the suspension compressing. I'm down to 50 % hull at 35 km out most of the time.
    Didn't Sushi or someone say something recently about framerate bizarrely having an affect on this? Mine's locked at 60fps via v-sync. Might be worth a try!

Didn't Sushi or someone say something recently about framerate bizarrely having an affect on this? Mine's locked at 60fps via v-sync. Might be worth a try!
    I noted that but didn't really understand it. IIRC he was saying saying it was more difficult to avoid damage now he had a better gpu that gave higher framerates???

As to rocks I have always found that not all the small rocks are equal. On planets with lots of small rocks I can drive without damage and then suddenly get launching into the air and suffer damage by a rock that didn't look any different to all the rest.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    @superflyguy - I think you misunderstood the Wasat Rally
    lol, no surprise from this end! i'll try and give it another bash this evening. let's just call the last one a scouting run ;
    CMDR <-lightspeed-> Expert | ELITE | ELITE but mostly Buckyball Racer
    ship ID : BRC<->

<-lightspeed-> Explorer Tours
    The HIP Hopper }{ Distant Worlds }{ Colonia/Jaques

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast