Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Solo a Thargoid Interceptor [Video]

This thread has convinced me to get the next two Federal ranks, so I can put together my Thargoid Hunter Gunship.

Git sum, etc.

Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post (Source)
    Btw, a silly question just occured to me, can you synth missiles for the Ax launcher like other missile launchers?
    Nope. Can't engineer them either.

Very informative research, Mr Fang.

Sorry, but I would rather give you written rep, and reserve what virtual currency I have to give to the needy.

+++rep

I also love how FD have implemented all this content, including behavioral characteristics to our 'dragons'.

We will get more weapons and armor spread out over time, as weekly CGs come to fruition.

But at it's current stage, it's very challenging.

Game is currently a very vibrant game.

Think the weaker ax turrets are probably more use if you were trying to do this with some smaller ships - a wing of cobras and vipers perhaps - they'd have to spend more time moving and less being able to face the target.

If one medium class ship can take down a thargoid like this, the thargoids are weak. I would have expected at least 3 ships with six missile racks each to take one out. There was never any danger to the shields at any point in any of these videos, yet if I am attacked by three lesser ships in a combat zone, they wipe me out and I have to leg it. Therefore X1 Thargoid deals less damage than three cobras, and perhaps are as hard as a normal Anaconda with the right tactics and kit.

Goids need to be feared instead of laughed at, and at the moment, the forum is having a Goid Party.

Brilliant write up - the tip about targetting the heart that is being exerted would have helped my only engagement - I destroyed one heart and then just targeted another random heart and couldn't see why it wasn't taking damage.

Also neat defense where it does have shields that need traditional weapons to take it down, before you crack on with the new weapons.

Many thanks sir! Have a chuckle on me!

Originally Posted by lifeschool-amiga View Post (Source)
    If one medium class ship can take down a thargoid like this, the thargoids are weak. I would have expected at least 3 ships with six missile racks each to take one out. There was never any danger to the shields at any point in any of these videos, yet if I am attacked by three lesser ships in a combat zone, they wipe me out and I have to leg it. Therefore X1 Thargoid deals less damage than three cobras, and perhaps are as hard as a normal Anaconda with the right tactics and kit.

Goids need to be feared instead of laughed at, and at the moment, the forum is having a Goid Party.
    Bare in mind the folk taking them down like this are pilots with good skills and good ships - the equivalent of raid equiped players in a standard MMo taking on general content - too many games have suffered from tuning content to only be do-able by the "high end" crowd. So far I think FDev have the balance pretty ok - it's still a reasonable challenge that in theory is do-able by all in some form or other.

Originally Posted by Lobey View Post (Source)
    Bare in mind the folk taking them down like this are pilots with good skills and good ships - the equivalent of raid equiped players in a standard MMo taking on general content - too many games have suffered from tuning content to only be do-able by the "high end" crowd. So far I think FDev have the balance pretty ok - it's still a reasonable challenge that in thoery is do-able by all in some form or other.
    Plus, even with a maxed out superheavy, it still takes on the order of 20 minutes to solo one of these interceptors. Compare that to the 20 seconds it takes for the same ship to kill an elite Anaconda in a HazRES. I'd say the difficulty is indeed spot-on at the moment.

Excellent post GluttonyFang

I was musing last night on IRC about the possibility of using frag cannons to deal with the Thargons - they're basically the Thargoid equivalent of limpet drones, albeit with swarm programming and shooting of green... stuff. *cue Will Smith quote about shooting green "stuff" at me! *

The Thargons are very good at avoidance, but I doubt they can avoid frags.

All those hearts... I knew they were artichokes.

I think this deserves a sticky. It's truly excellent - great work GF.

And yes, before anyone says 'but you're Canonn!? I thought you were non-aggression!?' - yes that's true.

But the fact is we're probably all going to need to know how to hurt them at some point; if you're conducting science out in the Pleiades then it's become a bit of an accepted hazard.

Plus - when the truly warlike ones show up we really won't have much of a choice...

Excellent write up. Looks like things are staring to get interesting.

Could I do this with a small, cheap ship (preferabley < 20 mil.)?

Originally Posted by CMDR PlungedSphere34 View Post (Source)
    Could I do this with a small, cheap ship (preferabley < 20 mil.)?
    No small ship has enough hardpoints to carry the missiles you'd need to take one out by yourself.

Originally Posted by Loskene View Post (Source)
    No small ship has enough hardpoints to carry the missiles you'd need to take one out by yourself.
    Ah well, no Thargoid combat for me.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast