Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 379

Thread: Surface Features - Barnacles/Unknown Structures/Crashed Ships etc...

  1. #151
    Originally Posted by ModishNouns View Post (Source)
    The "JJ" T9s and the black Anacondas don't look anything like 50 years old to me. Those "JJ" T9s look quite recent.

    Did I mention the "JJ" ship IDs? Just in case I didn't mention the "JJ" (pron. JAY JAY) ship IDs, what does everyone think about the "JJ" ship IDs?
    They are transporting alien artefacts for Jjagged Bbanner. Noting else starts with JJ and the band members are crazy for artefacts.

    Or it's a code for emergency drop.

  2. #152
    Great discussion!

    However, the question that bugs me: why did they crash on a planet in the middle of nowhere anyway? It is unlikely that after a pursuit in hyperspace you hit a tiny moon by chance. I'd assume that there is either something interesting on the planet itself, or if it was deliberate tactics to crash land. Can it be, that the Thargoid ship dragged the convoy out of hyperspace in front of the planet, with no chance of slowing down?

  3. #153
    Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    1) - It's meta I know, but those wreck parts are the same parts as you get in the generic wreck POI on the ground and in space. I'm not sure they belong to anything specific and just "wrecked ship parts". Sadly it means there might be no ways to determine what they were supposed to be by examining wreckage and things. In Lore we know that many older classes were scrapped because they couldn't be converted to FSD, so... it could be ships that literally don't exist any more (and so we've never seen them not-wrecked).

    2a) (source) Here's a reconstruction by CMDR Niamhy - I'm not sure how accurate this is I've never really studied that crash parts.



    2b) I assumed those sounds came from the UA's found nearby - but - now I think about it I guess that doesn't make sense?

    3) No clue, that's really interesting. We do know that the Feds used to ship around UA's in the bubble and those convoys were in Type-9's IIRC. I guess we could be seeing the remains of one salvage operation that went wrong (there may be lots of crashes we've not found yet). The Feds must have got the UA's from somewhere.

    I have one more question for you.

    The ships don't seem to have Mycoid damage do they?
    i thought the same about the sound coming from the sensor, but having moved one to another planet and releasing it i can say that it doesn't make the same sound that is at the crash site. also the T-9's could of been part of a possible fed salvage operation. as for any traces of mycoid at site so far none has been detected.

    Originally Posted by Kleitias View Post (Source)
    That was me. Alright, maybe I did not look closely enough. But are you absolutely certain that those marks were caused by blasts rather by, say, an explosion caused by module damage which in turn was caused by the corrosion?
    How does the game represent SRVs destroyed by UA corrosion? We could actually test that - one player observing another one who waits until her/his SRV is destroyed due to UA corrosion, then comparing the wreck with the one at the crash site.
    Until I see that, I remain doubtful whether we can interpret the marks of destruction on an SRV securely and attribute them with certainty to a specific method of destruction.
    good point, will give that a go soon an see what happens

    Originally Posted by optimal_909 View Post (Source)
    Great discussion!

    However, the question that bugs me: why did they crash on a planet in the middle of nowhere anyway? It is unlikely that after a pursuit in hyperspace you hit a tiny moon by chance. I'd assume that there is either something interesting on the planet itself, or if it was deliberate tactics to crash land. Can it be, that the Thargoid ship dragged the convoy out of hyperspace in front of the planet, with no chance of slowing down?
    no no no, there was no convoy being hyperdicted near a planet, as far i know hyperdiction is initiated whilst leaving a system not whilst entering, and also the old story of all the human ships being together is flimsy at best due to the difference between the anaconda's paint and the T-9's. also having reviewed the evidence on site, it seems that the T-9's still have some residual power in the power distributors, the anaconda's don't. this is reason i believe there is 3 distinct crash events not 1 big event

  4. #154
    Originally Posted by Maligno View Post (Source)
    As always, you have some cool theories. But I have some observations and comments for ya...

    I believe the first barnacle forest that PanPiper discovered has Scavengers wandering around, so I'm not sure how that affects your theory.

    Also, you say that we definitely know that barnacles are changing. That's a strong statement, what's the body of evidence supporting that?
    Scavengers around Barnacles - Yep you're right they do! I stand corrected! Nice catch, I'd totally forgotten about that.

    As for the Barnacles changing, I thought this was already really well documented?

    These are from my personal screenshot collection - this is the Barnacles when first found on Merope 5c (photo taken shortly after discovery).





    This is how the latest barnacles now appear (photo taken less than 2 days ago):





    These two pics are of different barnacles - however I'm pretty sure I've been back to sites I've been to before and all the ones I've seen are now like the latter photo. They also glow, I mean like really glow like lights even from quite high up.

    Really is this not a thing that's just well known? If not, I call it the Calvert Barnacle Discovery

  5. #155
    Originally Posted by ModishNouns View Post (Source)
    The "JJ" T9s and the black Anacondas don't look anything like 50 years old to me. Those "JJ" T9s look quite recent.

    Did I mention the "JJ" ship IDs? Just in case I didn't mention the "JJ" (pron. JAY JAY) ship IDs, what does everyone think about the "JJ" ship IDs?
    JJ Abrams is going to direct 3.0 "Beyond"?

    This is the new cockpit art he's introducing:


  6. #156
    Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Scavengers around Barnacles - Yep you're right they do! I stand corrected! Nice catch, I'd totally forgotten about that.

    As for the Barnacles changing, I thought this was already really well documented?

    These are from my personal screenshot collection - this is the Barnacles when first found on Merope 5c (photo taken shortly after discovery).



    This is how the latest barnacles now appear (photo taken less than 2 days ago):



    These two pics are of different barnacles - however I'm pretty sure I've been back to sites I've been to before and all the ones I've seen are now like the latter photo. They also glow, I mean like really glow like lights even from quite high up.

    Really is this not a thing that's just well known? If not, I call it the Calvert Barnacle Discovery
    I see what you mean now about the barnacles. I had personally interpreted the green stuff as extra fluff added by FD after 2.4, but I guess it could very well be that it's caused by a fundamental change.

  7. #157
    taking time out from other mysteries i am currently at the latest barnacle forest at Pleiades Sector PN-T B3-0, and i scanned the central barnacle then went to scan the next one and found that it had already been scanned. is it possible that barnacle forests are not a collection of individual barnacles but a single larger organism? and if so does this mean it is an older version of the single barnacles that were found first?

    edit: also 2 more things i have observed first there is no scavenger activity at this moment but there is evidence that they were here, and secondly there seems to be cracking/grinding sound that comes from the area but no idea where it comes from.

  8. #158
    Originally Posted by acidburn2k20 View Post (Source)
    taking time out from other mysteries i am currently at the latest barnacle forest at Pleiades Sector PN-T B3-0, and i scanned the central barnacle then went to scan the next one and found that it had already been scanned. is it possible that barnacle forests are not a collection of individual barnacles but a single larger organism? and if so does this mean it is an older version of the single barnacles that were found first?

    edit: also 2 more things i have observed first there is no scavenger activity at this moment but there is evidence that they were here, and secondly there seems to be cracking/grinding sound that comes from the area but no idea where it comes from.


    took this before i left, as you can see lots of scavenger activity but no scavengers anywhere. where have the little buggers gone???

  9. #159
    Originally Posted by acidburn2k20 View Post (Source)
    taking time out from other mysteries i am currently at the latest barnacle forest at Pleiades Sector PN-T B3-0, and i scanned the central barnacle then went to scan the next one and found that it had already been scanned. is it possible that barnacle forests are not a collection of individual barnacles but a single larger organism? and if so does this mean it is an older version of the single barnacles that were found first?

    edit: also 2 more things i have observed first there is no scavenger activity at this moment but there is evidence that they were here, and secondly there seems to be cracking/grinding sound that comes from the area but no idea where it comes from.
    I'd say it's pretty much a certainty that a barnacle forest is a single organism. A barnacle itself has a bunch of bits theoretically connected underneath the ground, so this is just a larger version of that. The layout looks like it would be growths coming from roots.

  10. #160
    Of all Thargoid Sites currently known, the inactive TS212 on HIP 15134 3 B is the closest to Sol. I just been to the place, trying to find clues about a possible Mycoid contamination of the site. Scanning everything scanable, I found no evidence for the presence of the virus, no scanner message that definitely said 'Mycoid'. The closest i found was a brown patch under one of the structures that looked more like dried mud than what can be seen on the hull of the crashed scout vessel. Realizing I didn't have any picture of that (and wondering how I missed that), I went to HIP 17125 next.


    (Click on the images to enlarge)

    Just in case that Mycoid might look different if it affects different surfaces, I went to Mayes Chemical Plant to have a look at the stuff in its original form. Thanks to Lakon and the DBX I rigged as a 'Xeno research vessel', it took less than 15 min to get there.


    (Click on the images to enlarge)

    As if it wasn't spooky enough to know that this place was the production site for a bioweapon, designed to commit genocide of an entire species, it was of course dark. Nevertheless I think I managed it quite well to light up the details with the headlights of the SRV and the ship. As you can see, the color of the stuff is rather orange than brown. The most brownish shades look a bit like the color of dried blood, not like that earth-like brown that is visible in some of the pictures I posted earlier.

    So no, as far as we know, there is no definite evidence for a contamination of Thargoid sites with Mycoid-Virus.

    After that I went to see the newly discovered Barnacle forest. I wonder what these look like when it's dark, because they indeed emit a faint green glow which is especially obvious in the darker shadows where some of the spikes show a full emerald green color. And that glow isn't always constant, at some places it seems to pulse very slowly. Something else I noticed: If you get close to the Barnacles there are tiny blue sparks floating from the tips. I tried to picture that, but it's to faint to see on a screenshot or looks like background stars. You really have to go there and stare at the Barnacles' tips to see that.


    (Click on the images to enlarge)

  11. #161
    Probably already late to the party, but that new forest look pretty much like a new structure being 'grown' - maybe this will be a 'Really Important' one

  12. #162
    Originally Posted by Le-Betz View Post (Source)
    Of all Thargoid Sites currently known, the inactive TS212 on HIP 15134 3 B is the closest to Sol. I just been to the place, trying to find clues about a possible Mycoid contamination of the site. Scanning everything scanable, I found no evidence for the presence of the virus, no scanner message that definitely said 'Mycoid'. The closest i found was a brown patch under one of the structures that looked more like dried mud than what can be seen on the hull of the crashed scout vessel. Realizing I didn't have any picture of that (and wondering how I missed that), I went to HIP 17125 next.

    https://s1.postimg.org/1124evzmfz/Screenshot_0021.png https://s1.postimg.org/1xo4mox8y7/Screenshot_0001.png https://s1.postimg.org/918rgh06pb/Screenshot_0003.png
    (Click on the images to enlarge)

    Just in case that Mycoid might look different if it affects different surfaces, I went to Mayes Chemical Plant to have a look at the stuff in its original form. Thanks to Lakon and the DBX I rigged as a 'Xeno research vessel', it took less than 15 min to get there.

    https://s1.postimg.org/8ihpj6yu67/Screenshot_0012.png https://s1.postimg.org/5rlepahinz/Screenshot_0035.png https://s1.postimg.org/40hymqa3qn/Screenshot_0039.png
    (Click on the images to enlarge)

    As if it wasn't spooky enough to know that this place was the production site for a bioweapon, designed to commit genocide of an entire species, it was of course dark. Nevertheless I think I managed it quite well to light up the details with the headlights of the SRV and the ship. As you can see, the color of the stuff is rather orange than brown. The most brownish shades look a bit like the color of dried blood, not like that earth-like brown that is visible in some of the pictures I posted earlier.

    So no, as far as we know, there is no definite evidence for a contamination of Thargoid sites with Mycoid-Virus.

    After that I went to see the newly discovered Barnacle forest. I wonder what these look like when it's dark, because they indeed emit a faint green glow which is especially obvious in the darker shadows where some of the spikes show a full emerald green color. And that glow isn't always constant, at some places it seems to pulse very slowly. Something else I noticed: If you get close to the Barnacles there are tiny blue sparks floating from the tips. I tried to picture that, but it's to faint to see on a screenshot or looks like background stars. You really have to go there and stare at the Barnacles' tips to see that.

    https://s1.postimg.org/2am13bxh5b/Screenshot_0043.png https://s1.postimg.org/4hayhg72wv/Screenshot_0050.png https://s1.postimg.org/2wxyw5fqkv/Screenshot_0052.png
    (Click on the images to enlarge)
    The tiny blue sparks are old news, but they seemed to me to be more visible around 2.1 era. They are also apparent in UAs (& UPs if I remember correctly) and gave rise to a lot of discussion about plasma-based lifeforms (after a comment by MB) and some speculation they were possibly what Halsey had encountered.

    @acidburn- the cracking/grinding sound can be heard at all barnacle sites. Clearly something is happening underground.

  13. #163
    Originally Posted by Jorki Rasalas View Post (Source)
    The tiny blue sparks are old news, but they seemed to me to be more visible around 2.1 era. They are also apparent in UAs (& UPs if I remember correctly) and gave rise to a lot of discussion about plasma-based lifeforms (after a comment by MB) and some speculation they were possibly what Halsey had encountered.

    @acidburn- the cracking/grinding sound can be heard at all barnacle sites. Clearly something is happening underground.
    thanks for letting me know, was worried i was in a earthquake zone. but i suppose if something is growing underground i should still worry, just in case there is a sudden problem with thargoid graboids lol

  14. #164
    Originally Posted by acidburn2k20 View Post (Source)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNbTxEEWsAUq7KB.jpg

    took this before i left, as you can see lots of scavenger activity but no scavengers anywhere. where have the little buggers gone???
    Maybe they haven't been deployed there yet.

    I can't reconcile the word "scavenger", which is a destructive term - scavengers take, they don't make - with what appears to be the early and mid stages of a life cycle.

    If we are witnessing the creation / birth of new structures from barnacle, through forest to structure, why would scavengers be present anywhere except the final stage when a structure is being recycled?

  15. #165
    Originally Posted by ModishNouns View Post (Source)
    Maybe they haven't been deployed there yet.

    I can't reconcile the word "scavenger", which is a destructive term - scavengers take, they don't make - with what appears to be the early and mid stages of a life cycle.

    If we are witnessing the creation / birth of new structures from barnacle, through forest to structure, why would scavengers be present anywhere except the final stage when a structure is being recycled?
    Who named them scavengers?

    They've always appeared as that when scanned but who decided what that designation would be and why?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast