Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 379

Thread: Surface Features - Barnacles/Unknown Structures/Crashed Ships etc...

  1. #301
    Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    My question was (meant to be), what do you mean by assets?

    Re 'Genuine Thargoid', really? wth?
    No.6: http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-en...-the-frontier/

  2. #302
    Arrrggh! yea I saw that site , I was asking for further confirmation that 'Genuine Thargoid' story really isn't a story anything to do with the Elite universe, which just seems bizarre! Hence 'wth'.

    Also, my previous 2 queries about 'assets' was attempting to find out what he meant by assets? What assets? For what??

    [update] Ok I've just started reading Genuine Thargoid, it definitely IS an Elite story, it mentions The Imperial Herald, Frontier news & Federation Times newspapers! Whether it'll have anything useful in the story is another matter , but the story does involve aliens .

  3. #303
    Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    Arrrggh! yea I saw that site , I was asking for further confirmation that 'Genuine Thargoid' story really isn't a story anything to do with the Elite universe, which just seems bizarre! Hence 'wth'.

    Also, my previous 2 queries about 'assets' was attempting to find out what he meant by assets? What assets? For what??

    [update] Ok I've just started reading Genuine Thargoid, it definitely IS an Elite story, it mentions The Imperial Herald, Frontier news & Federation Times newspapers! Whether it'll have anything useful in the story is another matter , but the story does involve aliens .
    Please tell if you find anything. I haven't read it in over 20 years and don't remember a thing.

    It seems impossible to find it online.

  4. #304
    Really? After all this time I'm surprised, I'd be willing to scan & upload it as long as I'm not breaching any copyright rules.
    How did the dreamware site get by that with the stories it does have?

  5. #305
    Don't forget to add the 2nd Thargoid scout that's been found:

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...has-been-found

  6. #306
    I know I'm late to the party. I've just visited the Thargoid site in HIP 14909. I'm sure what I'm going to say has been discussed at length already, I'm just leaving this as it's my feelings from the visit.
    I couldn't help feel I was visiting a dying structure. The scanned messages suggest damage to the structure. So are these crashed ships? And if so from when? I'm wondering if these are from the previous war.

  7. #307
    Originally Posted by Wyaston Hypatia View Post (Source)
    I know I'm late to the party. I've just visited the Thargoid site in HIP 14909. I'm sure what I'm going to say has been discussed at length already, I'm just leaving this as it's my feelings from the visit.
    I couldn't help feel I was visiting a dying structure. The scanned messages suggest damage to the structure. So are these crashed ships? And if so from when? I'm wondering if these are from the previous war.
    Most likely ships that crashed due to the mycoid virus. Scavengers are tending to it (perhaps administering a cure?) in some way. Whether they are hive ships or just some other large vessel, I do not know. Some are in "better" condition than the others - obviously there's active vs. inactive structures, but there's also variation in the extent of the arms - some are better preserved.

    I think the "Smoking Guns" are two features, one inside and one out - first, the top of the central structure is very clearly reminiscent of the rear of an interceptor - where the thargons are deployed from. If such a ship were to get off the ground, clearly it would already have a significant similarity with the interceptors. Second, the capsules on the roof of the device room along with the small "hatches" up there. I personally would be immensely surprised if these capsules do not house (grow?) Thargons, and the hatch-like ports on the ceiling would be perfect pathways for such thargons to exit the aforementioned rear.

    Granted, it could be that their surface bases are simply meant to share the same designs as their interceptors, and thus would obviously still sport a Thargon swarm for defense. Also, the consistency in orientation is strange if they are ships - if they crashed, it would seem likely that at least some would have landed in a different manner.

    So in short, we do not know. But many qualities we've come to expect from interceptors are shared/implied by the sites, so a ship is a good bet.

  8. #308
    Originally Posted by DavidMik View Post (Source)
    Most likely ships that crashed due to the mycoid virus. Scavengers are tending to it (perhaps administering a cure?) in some way. Whether they are hive ships or just some other large vessel, I do not know. Some are in "better" condition than the others - obviously there's active vs. inactive structures, but there's also variation in the extent of the arms - some are better preserved.

    I think the "Smoking Guns" are two features, one inside and one out - first, the top of the central structure is very clearly reminiscent of the rear of an interceptor - where the thargons are deployed from. If such a ship were to get off the ground, clearly it would already have a significant similarity with the interceptors. Second, the capsules on the roof of the device room along with the small "hatches" up there. I personally would be immensely surprised if these capsules do not house (grow?) Thargons, and the hatch-like ports on the ceiling would be perfect pathways for such thargons to exit the aforementioned rear.

    Granted, it could be that their surface bases are simply meant to share the same designs as their interceptors, and thus would obviously still sport a Thargon swarm for defense. Also, the consistency in orientation is strange if they are ships - if they crashed, it would seem likely that at least some would have landed in a different manner.

    So in short, we do not know. But many qualities we've come to expect from interceptors are shared/implied by the sites, so a ship is a good bet.
    It does make sense for their nests and ships to be grown from a common design. I prefer to think of the structures as grown up barnacles, alternatively as motherships which have intentionally landed, hence the common orientation-they were hit by mycoid after they had landed.

  9. #309
    I recently came across this again and wanted to share it before I forget again:

    DB talking about many things (some really interesting hints in there), but at around 8mins in he talks about the UA's corrosion and Palin's solution, I've transcribed that bit for anyone who doesn't want to watch the video:

    "[Palin] has discovered a lot of things that have been able to help Humanity. One of the things is these Unknown Artefacts, if you carry them in your ship you find it created terrible corrosion and it turns out to be some sort of biological process, maybe not unlike what the Barnacles do where it's taking the metals out of the structure of your ship...

    ... so what he's found is that these Unknown Artefacts won't go through certain materials, and these materials actually come from the Barnacles."


    at 10 mins in he talks about Barnacles,:

    "They are clearly some sort of alien life, in the sense that they are an organism, they can live with zero pressure, and they live on worlds with zero atmosphere...

    They are a bit like a plant that burrows deep into the ground and it's roots pull all sorts of things up out of the earth using biological processes and form them into these little pods. Now that is an incredibly useful thing and there are all sorts of questions around [them] - were they genetically engineered? if so, who by? Were they genetically engineered many many billions of years ago and have since evolved? so all sorts of fascinating questions but then why are these concentrated just in certain areas?"






    Just thought a lot of the phrasing and what he says here is interesting - he does also confirm they are (for want of a better word) organic mines and that CRCR's are made of something from the Barnacles (presumably MA's).

  10. #310

    Wink Mussidae

    On my way to the California Nebula, I stopped at Mic Turner Base in California Sector BA-A E6 4. There I found the nearby Bark Mounds. Both the Base and the Bark Mounds are well known and researched.

    While I drove along, a term came to my attention at several of the mounds: mussidae. So I did some research (Wikipedia etc.) getting to know what this might be and found some funny results.

    If this is already known and old stuff, skip the rest.


    Mussidae are large corals with a strong skeleton that looks like a brain. They live solitary or colonial. The septa between the corallites are decorated with long teeth. They belong to the new family Lobophylliidae.

    Now this new family has sub-species. One of them is Micromussa. And one of these, Micromussa lordhowensis, previously known as “Acan Lord”, jumped into my eye. If you open the picture below you will easily recognize what I mean.

    M.lordhowensis lives colonial. The septa have fine teeth. The colour varies and is often formed of two contrasting shades of red, orange, purple, blue or green. It is a hermaphrodite and broadcast spawner (it releases eggs and sperm into the surrounding medium as most aquatic animals do.There it can travel over long distances.).

    The polyps of M.lordhowensis are large and fleshy and with their tentacles extended they seek to capture zooplankton which is transferred to the central mouth.

    M. lordhowensis is an aggressive species and defends itself. At night, some polyps extend long filaments which secrete enzymes which digest the cells of other organisms with which they came in contact.

    Does this ring to you?


    And this is how it looks like !


    Is Micromussa lordhowensis the blueprint of FDev for the Thargoids in the game?

    Funny coincidence, anyway.

  11. #311
    Originally Posted by Henoch View Post (Source)
    Does this ring to you?[/spoiler]

    And this is how it looks like !

    Is Micromussa lordhowensis the blueprint of FDev for the Thargoids in the game?

    Funny coincidence, anyway.
    It is not, but You can notice similarity because:

    They are using marine life as an inspiration. But as an artistic overlay over some geometry based shapes founded in the nature.
    Those shapes are real blueprints and what we (I) see (recognized) are derivations.

    I am curious if the next-gen interceptors will have big thorns on both side of petals, and 16 pairs of red "teeth". Reasons... not relevant for the game-play.

    Reading "Axle Munshine" till then. I remember (as an elephant) that in one episode they used giant jellyfishes to travel through the space.

  12. #312
    I found a new barnacle system in the Pleiades: Pleiades Sector PN-S b4-1

    I located three barnacles on two planets. Five or six planets are viable. Pictures and a little more info in the meta-alloy thread:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6324212

  13. #313
    Originally Posted by mazelinho View Post (Source)
    I found a new barnacle system in the Pleiades: Pleiades Sector PN-S b4-1

    I located three barnacles on two planets. Five or six planets are viable. Pictures and a little more info in the meta-alloy thread:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6324212
    Well done o7

  14. #314
    What's going on here?

    A barnacle changed!

    The barnacle in question is "Witch Head Sector DL-Y d17 A 1" // -51.2183 // 104.5465. Number 183 in the meta² spreadsheet.

    This is how it looked back in june last year, a double/twin barnacle:



    This is how it looks now


    Unfortunately there is no screenshot link in the meta² sheet, presumably because I didn't know back then imgur was free. But it's recorded as an ma5 in meta².

    This is not the beta but the live build!

    This could be something simple as a bug (fix). My other thoughts are that barnacles may reproduce through offsetting. Thargoids being the cultivator might have ripped one barnacle body out and planted it on some other planet for exploitation and expansion.

    Let the tinfoil hattery begin!

  15. #315
    Originally Posted by mazelinho View Post (Source)
    What's going on here?

    A barnacle changed!

    The barnacle in question is "Witch Head Sector DL-Y d17 A 1" // -51.2183 // 104.5465. Number 183 in the meta² spreadsheet.

    This is how it looked back in june last year, a double/twin barnacle:


    This is how it looks now


    Unfortunately there is no screenshot link in the meta² sheet, presumably because I didn't know back then imgur was free. But it's recorded as an ma5 in meta².

    This is not the beta but the live build!

    This could be something simple as a bug (fix). My other thoughts are that barnacles may reproduce through offsetting. Thargoids being the cultivator might have ripped one barnacle body out and planted it on some other planet for exploitation and expansion.

    Let the tinfoil hattery begin!
    Someone forgot to water it.