Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Surface Features - Barnacles/Unknown Structures/Crashed Ships etc...

Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    An interesting idea! , but a question, how much gravity is needed to hold onto this ammonia?
    Good question. I have to investigate.
    For example Witch Sector LC-V c2-10 A4 (where I am just now) has a gravity of 0.13g. Not too much...

Originally Posted by ape808 View Post (Source)
    Shame, but at least the loophole gave some interesting results before being fixed - particularly in showing that there are potentially many dozens of barnacles per planet.

Hopefully Ram Tah can take a hint and improve our scanners again...
    Currently doing the Ram Tah mission and I appear to have a bug where, while in supercruise, I can target ancient ruins many thousands of LS away via the red location brackets. So far the largest distance Ive tested is 15000 light seconds. Once Im done with the mission tonight or tomorrow, Im gonna head to Pleiades and test it out on thargoid/barnie locations I have and haven't visited before.

Originally Posted by KillWhitey View Post (Source)
    Currently doing the Ram Tah mission and I appear to have a bug where, while in supercruise, I can target ancient ruins many thousands of LS away via the red location brackets. So far the largest distance Ive tested is 15000 light seconds. Once Im done with the mission tonight or tomorrow, Im gonna head to Pleiades and test it out on thargoid/barnie locations I have and haven't visited before.
    Only works on Ancient Ruins, you can target from any distance if you point your ship towards correct body, it is not making finding them particulary easier, I spent days and found maybe two new locations. It does not work on barnacles.

Damn. I thought they were only detectable within the standard 1000 LS and assumed it was a bug.

Originally Posted by KillWhitey View Post (Source)
    Damn. I thought they were only detectable within the standard 1000 LS and assumed it was a bug.
    I don't think I've seen FDev commenting on this one, so bug or not it is still really difficult to find new Ruins and if it is a bug I hope it will never be fixed

When did the ship at HIP 17862 disappear?

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    Don't know, wasn't looking

but seriously, some people have reported graphics bugs with INRA bases and the goid scout ship not appearing in their instance so you might have experienced similar.

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by Jorki Rasalas View Post (Source)
    Don't know, wasn't looking

but seriously, some people have reported graphics bugs with INRA bases and the goid scout ship not appearing in their instance so you might have experienced similar.
    Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    What ship's that?
    HIP 17862 was second goid wreck.
    http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Crash_Site

Ah that one, I remember now.

I was curious about the size of the Thargoids Sites and if / how there are differences between them, so I took pictures of the ones I visited from about 5000m altitude. Most of the sites I pictured were located on the dark sides of the planets / moons, but the one on Mel 22 Sector NX-U D2-31 3 A wasn't. Ground features of the site, now clerly visible by its shadows, seemed to indicate that some structures of the site are now missing. Here is what i mean:

(Click on the image for more)

So I think the scavengers are not repairing these features, rather the opposite is true: they are doing what their name already suggests, recycling the materials these structures are made of. And I don't think that the Thargoid sites were constructed at the locations were we find them today, they were grown someplace else and then placed at their current locations. After that their propulsion system was not needed any more and the scavengers are still working on the task to disassemble them (or rather digest them, using the green goo as some kind of digestive enzyme).

Also this might explain the function of the Thargoid Device inside the central structure of the sites. This room used to be the control room and the device was part of the navigation system needed to fly the structures to their final locations, quite similar to the navigation systems in our ships and the galactic map that comes with it.

If this is true (and I'm pretty certain to be not to far away from the truth), the diagram hidden in the messages of the Thargoid device might be something like echoes of the last course settings, all these ships had in common: from the place where they were grown to the central star system of the area where they were intended to settle. I would not be surprised at all, if we could find a large breeding facility, the Thargoid equivalent of a shipyard, in Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3, when we finally get access to the system some day.

To me it seems that Thargoid ships and Thargoid Ground Sites do not only resemble some jellyfish found in earth's oceans in their outer appearance, but at least the ground structures do have a comparable life cycle (just in reverse). It might even be possible, that the Thargoid ships we encounter in NHSS's are a juvenile form of its species, while the ground sites are adults or their old ones and there is something in between these forms that we haven't seen yet (that would make the Pleiades Nebula their 'home for the aged').

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyf...y_and_behavior)

Originally Posted by Le-Betz View Post (Source)
    So I think the scavengers are not repairing these features, rather the opposite is true:
    If your photo is correct then:

a- congratulations for spotting that
    b - what if the scavengers actually nurse them, and once grown they fly away?

I did manage to find my photo of this structure from 29th of June :

It was pitch black so I bumped up the exposure
    Mel 22 Sector NX-U d2-31 (20170629-185937)

original - https://i.imgur.com/juNywHZ.png
    overexposed - https://i.imgur.com/LXc4T9p.png

( I think I misunderstood your post initially, I thought you are comparing photos, which you don't. So your theory may be a valid one at least we can compare how it changes within 3 months and it looks like it has not change much if at all)

My idea about Thargoid ships and structures:

The missing wings are for a capital ship. The shipyard you are looking for are these structures. Somewhere the Thargoids build their octagonal scout ship, then it gets enhanced with wings/blades to what we now know as interceptor. Put a couple of scouts together and you have a big octagonal ship which needs bigger wings/blades.

Very interesting. omg can you imagine seeing one of these things flying to the planet. massive
    I wonder what they will become once the scavengers have finished taking it apart.

well just read the resent cover up material from galnet, and aegis can't protect capital ships from multiple thargoid emps. seems a cop out if you ask me, why send you capital ships in when a bunch of gung ho amatures can get the job done for free. really think the superpowers (and the bloody hippy alliance) should pull there socks up and start fighting this bloody war, its costing me an arm and a leg in rebuys and cybernetic implants

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast