Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 456

Thread: Surface Features - Barnacles/Unknown Structures/Crashed Ships etc...

  1. #121
    Originally Posted by Hazzu View Post (Source)
    "I cant get no sleep..."

    Another Barnacle "forest" found.

    Album\Images just for reference. You really need to get here.

    https://imgur.com/a/B4TZR

    Pleiades Sector PN-T b3-0 - Planet A5
    Coordinates:
    Lat: -4.4946
    Long: 145.6557

    Enjoy
    Congrats!
    Do they normally have 8 legs? And theirs a distinctive octagon around the ctr!

  2. #122
    Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    Congrats!
    Do they normally have 8 legs? And theirs a distinctive octagon around the ctr!
    This one is a bit different than one in Hyades Sector. But yeah, they are shaped that way

  3. #123
    Originally Posted by Hazzu View Post (Source)
    "I cant get no sleep..."

    Another Barnacle "forest" found.

    Album\Images just for reference. You really need to get here.

    https://imgur.com/a/B4TZR

    Pleiades Sector PN-T b3-0 - Planet A5
    Coordinates:
    Lat: -4.4946
    Long: 145.6557

    Enjoy
    Nice!

  4. #124
    Cross posting with "tinfoil" because it's a bit of both :

    The other night I was at the HIP 17403 crash site with @acidburn2k20 and @snowymonk.

    The following ships present in the wreckage:

    2 x T9, red in colour with the ship ID JJ-30K
    2 x Anaconda, black and showing no IDs
    2 x much older ships, heavily corroded, one of which seems to have been squashed by the sudden violent arrival of one of the T9s.

    The marked difference in corrosion suggests an extended timeline with at least two separate crash events. Acid has some theories about that but I'll let her fill that in

    Oh yeah, and 1 x Thargoid that doesn't look like our current, nu-flava Cyclops Interceptors

    The thing that stood out to me was the JJ-30K ship IDs. Is that a link to the JJ-386 Cobra, do you think? Another John Jordan reference? John Jameson? Jar Jar?

    JJ-30K


    T9 and squashed older rusty heap


    UNmarked black Anaconda #1


  5. #125
    I'd like to provide some additional imagery of that site that I shot when I was visiting it the first time some weeks ago:

    Overview:




    Thargoid ship:






    Yes, I agree, the wreck looks indeed very different than the live ones seen in space. But I also been to the crash sites on HIP 17862 6 C A and on Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 9 A and they all do look pretty much alike.

    HIP 17862 6 C A




    Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 9 A




    Maybe the shape of these ships causes them to 'fall flat on their faces' when they crash, like a slice of toast most of the times falls on its butter side when dropped? In that case the visible part of the hull in the wreckage is the rear side (when I showed a picture of one of these wrecks to my brother, he spontanously asked: 'Is that an alien butt-hole?' ). Also these ships show nothing that even slightly looks like a landing gear, so I guess they were never made to land on planets in the first place (greetings from USS Enterprise). I guess Thargoid ships are in fact 'creatures' that inhabit space as their natural biotope.

    Once more I'd like to point out the similarities between Thargoid ships and jellyfish. I remember a documentary about that famous lake on Palau island in the Pacific with its population of jellyfish. These are inhabited by microorganisms (Zooxanthellae), which generate sugar and starch by photosynthesis and provide that to the jellyfish. In return the jelly swims toward the sun to provide the microorganisms with light, a fine example of symiosis. Possibly the nature of the relation between the Thargoids and their ships is comparable.

    I like to point out that of course there is a lot of guessing and speculation involved, but until we know for sure, that's all we can do. Or as scientists might put it: formulate some theories and see which ones can be falsified and which one is supported best by observation.

    Now excuse me, please, I need to go and observe something.

  6. #126
    Symbiosis . Nice theory anyway .

    1 thing, your toast landing on it's face is falling through air, these Thargoids aren't, so no aerodynamic forces to turn them any particular way. I'd say it was just their direction of travel.

  7. #127
    This is all great, guys, but...

    Originally Posted by ModishNouns View Post (Source)
    The thing that stood out to me was the JJ-30K ship IDs. Is that a link to the JJ-386 Cobra, do you think? Another John Jordan reference? John Jameson? Jar Jar?
    x

  8. #128

    Heureka???

    I think I found an explanation for what happens at the Thargoid sites and what they really are.

    After reading the papers Maligno provided earlier, I decided to visit one of the sites that are described in these 'Leviathannotes' as one of the 6 big ones. On Canonn's list of Thargoid sites it is designated as TS203, located on Mel 22 Sector JC-V D2-14 A 4 A and the sheer size of its features is indeed impressive. What I found was not only one location with scavengers like the place on Hyades Sector AQ-Y D81, but three of these, some of them in the giant caverns under the structures the author of the papers calls 'Leviathans'. There might be even more of these places, but I did not inspect all of the sites features. This time I took a closer look at the scavengers activities and now I think to know what they really do.



    Again it is visible that the Scavengers are extracting something from the structures, but then you can see them spilling it onto the ground in front of it. I'm sure now, they are breaking down the structures into basic components and use them as fertilizer for the Barnacles. That is why Barnacle forests grow in swirl-like patterns that resemble the shape of Thargoid ships, they use them as compost.

    Sorry to dissapoint everybody, who was hoping the scavengers' task might be to maintain and assemble the sites into ships and that someday in the future we might see them to take off. Quite the opposite is true, these ships are not born in the area around Merope, they go there to die.

    The Pleiades nebula is the graveyard of Thargoid ships.


    Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    Symbiosis . Nice theory anyway .

    1 thing, your toast landing on it's face is falling through air, these Thargoids aren't, so no aerodynamic forces to turn them any particular way. I'd say it was just their direction of travel.
    Well, possibly not the best example, but then again do you have the means needed to perform an experiment about how a slice of toast falls in a vacuum and low-g environment and is it really aerodynamics that make it fall on the buttery side or is it rather a question of weight distribution?

    EDIT:

    The answer is: None of it, it's Murphy's Law.

  9. #129
    Originally Posted by Le-Betz View Post (Source)
    I think I found an explanation for what happens at the Thargoid sites and what they really are.

    After reading the papers Maligno provided earlier, I decided to visit one of the sites that are described in these 'Leviathannotes' as one of the 6 big ones. On Canonn's list of Thargoid sites it is designated as TS203, located on Mel 22 Sector JC-V D2-14 A 4 A and the sheer size of its features is indeed impressive. What I found was not only one location with scavengers like the place on Hyades Sector AQ-Y D81, but three of these, some of them in the giant caverns under the structures the author of the papers calls 'Leviathans'. There might be even more of these places, but I did not inspect all of the sites features. This time I took a closer look at the scavengers activities and now I think to know what they really do.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcR9nuW607w

    Again it is visible that the Scavengers are extracting something from the structures, but then you can see them spilling it onto the ground in front of it. I'm sure now, they are breaking down the structures into basic components and use them as fertilizer for the Barnacles. That is why Barnacle forests grow in swirl-like patterns that resemble the shape of Thargoid ships, they use them as compost.

    Sorry to dissapoint everybody, who was hoping the scavengers' task might be to maintain and assemble the sites into ships and that someday in the future we might see them to take off. Quite the opposite is true, these ships are not born in the area around Merope, they go there to die.

    The Pleiades nebula is the graveyard of Thargoid ships.




    Well, possibly not the best example, but then again do you have the means needed to perform an experiment about how a slice of toast falls in a vacuum and low-g environment and is it really aerodynamics that make it fall on the buttery side or is it rather a question of weight distribution?
    I think that's pretty much what most people think isn't it? I mean those drones are called "Scavengers" not "Builders"... and I know the jury is out, but I don't think those are ships at all, they're bases.

    I don't know that we can say they're using the stuff as fertiliser for barnacles. There's no evidence of that (though it could indeed be what's happening). There's no actual barnacles growing at the Thargoid Surface bases.

    I think the consensus has been for a while that the Scavengers are spraying something on the Mycoid infected parts of the old bases, either to test antidotes or to just try to slow down the decay maybe? I suspect they're just doing whatever they were told to do back when the bases were still being used. From what we're seeing now it seems likely that Thargoids just abandoned all the old stuff that was infected and grew new stuff that's (presumably) immune. That could well be what the Barnacle sites turn into (though I don't think so, I think the Barnacles are probably just mines.).

  10. #130
    Originally Posted by Le-Betz View Post (Source)
    Again it is visible that the Scavengers are extracting something from the structures, but then you can see them spilling it onto the ground in front of it. I'm sure now, they are breaking down the structures into basic components and use them as fertilizer for the Barnacles. That is why Barnacle forests grow in swirl-like patterns that resemble the shape of Thargoid ships, they use them as compost.
    Life cycle.


    Alien structures are derivated from Barnacles. What does it means in terms of a game-play, I have no idea.

  11. #131
    okay i seem to be having problems with pictures at the moment but here is what me, modish and snowymonk found out while at the crash site:

    when i first heard about the crash site everyone said it was the aftermath of a battle between 4 human and 1 thargoid ship, but when i have been there things just didn't add up for me especially with the positioning of the human ships and also that there was extra wreckage that was far older than the others. so hear is my theory of what happened on hip 17403 A 4 A, hopefully there will be people here to verify or debunk it.

    1, A Thargoid ship of unknown class attacked 2 T-9 sized ships and destroyed them but became damaged and crashed at the same time, and even though it was damaged beyond repair it still had basic defenses and emergency beacon.

    2, Some time later the anacondas and/or T-9's came to salvage the site after picking up the distress signal but fell from the sky, due in part to the thargoid ship still being able to use its emp even though it was close to death from the initial crash. The T-9 which is flat on the ground crushed the ship wreckage under it.

    3, at some point at least one SRV had been on site and was destroyed by unknown aggressors, unfortunately it is unknown if this SRV came from the anaconda's, the T-9's or another ship altogether. though looking at the wear and tear on wrecked ship it was not from the original T-9's the thargoid ship possibly brought down in the first place.

    i don't know if i am correct on all of this, some of it, or none of it. but this is what i believed happened at the crash site at HIP 17403 A 4 A, thank you for reading and sorry i could not provide pictures at the moment

  12. #132
    Originally Posted by acidburn2k20 View Post (Source)
    [...]
    3, at some point at least one SRV had been on site and was destroyed by unknown aggressors, unfortunately it is unknown if this SRV came from the anaconda's, the T-9's or another ship altogether. though looking at the wear and tear on wrecked ship it was not from the original T-9's the thargoid ship possibly brought down in the first place.
    [...]
    I always thought the SRV was destroyed because of corrosion after picking up a 'UA'.

  13. #133
    Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    I think that's pretty much what most people think isn't it? I mean those drones are called "Scavengers" not "Builders"... and I know the jury is out, but I don't think those are ships at all, they're bases.

    I don't know that we can say they're using the stuff as fertiliser for barnacles. There's no evidence of that (though it could indeed be what's happening). There's no actual barnacles growing at the Thargoid Surface bases.

    I think the consensus has been for a while that the Scavengers are spraying something on the Mycoid infected parts of the old bases, either to test antidotes or to just try to slow down the decay maybe? I suspect they're just doing whatever they were told to do back when the bases were still being used. From what we're seeing now it seems likely that Thargoids just abandoned all the old stuff that was infected and grew new stuff that's (presumably) immune. That could well be what the Barnacle sites turn into (though I don't think so, I think the Barnacles are probably just mines.).
    Visiting these sites, observing the Scavengers doing their business from the SRV, looking at pictures of Barnacle forests (farms?) and watching videos on Youtube of Thargoid ships interacting with Barnacles, all these impressions made a picture take shape in my mind of an alien eco-system. I am trying to understand how it works and right now it feels like everything fits into a greater picture that seems to make perfect sense, at least to me.

    Seems we are like two people looking at a piece of art and disagree about what the artist tried to express and what his intention was.

  14. #134
    Originally Posted by acidburn2k20 View Post (Source)
    okay i seem to be having problems with pictures at the moment but here is what me, modish and snowymonk found out while at the crash site:

    when i first heard about the crash site everyone said it was the aftermath of a battle between 4 human and 1 thargoid ship, but when i have been there things just didn't add up for me especially with the positioning of the human ships and also that there was extra wreckage that was far older than the others. so hear is my theory of what happened on hip 17403 A 4 A, hopefully there will be people here to verify or debunk it.

    1, A Thargoid ship of unknown class attacked 2 T-9 sized ships and destroyed them but became damaged and crashed at the same time, and even though it was damaged beyond repair it still had basic defenses and emergency beacon.

    2, Some time later the anacondas and/or T-9's came to salvage the site after picking up the distress signal but fell from the sky, due in part to the thargoid ship still being able to use its emp even though it was close to death from the initial crash. The T-9 which is flat on the ground crushed the ship wreckage under it.

    3, at some point at least one SRV had been on site and was destroyed by unknown aggressors, unfortunately it is unknown if this SRV came from the anaconda's, the T-9's or another ship altogether. though looking at the wear and tear on wrecked ship it was not from the original T-9's the thargoid ship possibly brought down in the first place.

    i don't know if i am correct on all of this, some of it, or none of it. but this is what i believed happened at the crash site at HIP 17403 A 4 A, thank you for reading and sorry i could not provide pictures at the moment
    I think that's a good explanation.

    It's certainly a very odd crash site, the way things are positioned always seemed odd, only the Thargoid ship has the "crash gouges" IIRC (It's been a while). I like the idea of the EMP knocking out ships as they came in to land, that really seems to fit the positioning. Is there any reason you think it wasn't just one lot of ships came in to land and got hit with the EMP? (point 1 and 2 might have been the same wave and they came to salvage a crashed ship, only to trigger and EMP that crippled them?)

    Strange thing about that site too - it's pretty far out for class2b enabled ships (assuming the crash is from pre-3300-ish since the shipwrecks look so old?). Wasn't that wreck recently dated to around 100 years old? Do you think then that means the human ships found the wreck and came in to land much more recently, or should we ignore the modern look and assume those are supposed to be 100 year old wrecks (not sure the Type-9 was even around back then!). The weathering on the wrecks and how burred they are seems to indicate they've been there for a long time doesn't it?

  15. #135
    Originally Posted by Le-Betz View Post (Source)
    Visiting these sites, observing the Scavengers doing their business from the SRV, looking at pictures of Barnacle forests (farms?) and watching videos on Youtube of Thargoid ships interacting with Barnacles, all these impressions made a picture take shape in my mind of an alien eco-system. I am trying to understand how it works and right now it feels like everything fits into a greater picture that seems to make perfect sense, at least to me.

    Seems we are like two people looking at a piece of art and disagree about what the artist tried to express and what his intention was.
    I've hidden this behind spoilers because it's long and I don't want to force people to scroll through it I disagree we're disagreeing (lol) about an interpretation of art. It's more like detectives analysing what's there and not deciding on a good sounding story and making the facts fit. I love the story that this is an alien ship graveyard, I just don't think that story fits the observations that I'm seeing:

    Shipwrecks of Bases?

    Well, put it this way; If they're ships then each and every one of the 220-odd of them landed pretty much flat and level, there's no sign of airlock features to the doors, the doors open when you carry a Tharg item nearby, that's a horrible design for space-ship doors but a good design for a ground facility, and they're good and buried in the ground where they're 'landed', each and every one of them. There's no place where two crashed on a planet (or AFAIK two crashed in the same system), and the "ships" are pretty evenly spaced around the Pleiades, that's a very uniform distribution of "shipwrecks" that looks a lot like an even distribution of ground facilities. There's no "crash gouges" like there are at other Thargoid ship crash sites, and there's not a single one of these massive, massive 'ships' that's broken up on crashing or landed at an angle, and there's no real evidence they ever moved. That to me seems much more like they grew up from the ground (as you'd probably expect a Thargoid base to do), rather than landed. Plus the same meta-alloy-bearing spikes growing up from the ground as we see at the Barnacles, again, implies the high possibility of underground growths, and that doesn't fit with ships as much as with bases.


    Also the central chamber (map room) and the underground link-birthing rooms (I think they're called Hatchery in the artwork?) are organised for gravity pointing "down" the link chambers seem to require gravity to drop the links from hatchery pods, the "control" areas in the main room are organised along the floor and require dropping the items into holes in the ground, the ceiling is curved, the ground is flat, there's a definite up/down to everything... While we don't know how Thargoids operate, and they may well have gravity manipulation, it seems more likely that they are ground bases and are where they always have been. There's nothing space-ship-like about them really. I think suggesting a "graveyard of Thargoid ships" is a great and poetic idea but I just can't see it in the actual things themselves.


    I'm not specifically disagreeing about the rest. I'm just suggesting that we can easily observe a bunch of things and that those things might not necessarily tell the story you've suggested:


    We can see that all the bases are mycoid-damaged (we can confirm this because we know what Mycoid damage looks like now), and the ones closer to the bubble are "inactive", almost like they were worst hit before the Thargoids abandoned them all (we can see this from Canonn map of the sites). We know they're abandoned because we've not seen any Thargoids wandering around. We know the Scavengers are called Scavengers because that's what comes up when you scan them - and we know what we mean by scavengers, and therefore naming them that has significance (instead of calling them repair drones or feeder drones or just "drones").

    We can see that the Scavengers drop a fluid on the Mycoid infected areas, and we can also see that (in all the months they've been there) nothing seems to have changed about them (they're not building up or down). It's also clear the Scavengers (and/or returned Thargoids) haven't made any new bases yet, or returned to the existing ones (we've never seen a Thargoid, or found a non-mycoid infected base). If you watch the Scavengers, they just repeat the same tasks over and over and over. It's an interpretations sure, but to me, the desolate sites, the damage, the scavengers looping infinitely and never getting anywhere, the lack of any sort of activity (other than the odd visiting flower ship) suggests these places are long abandoned surface bases - plus, we know from FFE that the Thargoids used the Pleiades as a forward staging area in the war over 100 years ago before being "defeated" by the INRA Mycoid infection, so it seems likely that's where INRA hit them with the mycoid virus first (closest place to the bubble). If the bases were ships, I'm not sure we'd see the even distribution that we see, it might be more clumped towards the bubble, or away from the bubble as they tried to flee from the infection, for example.

    The Barnacles are changing, we definitely know that. They may well be the sites of new bases, but I think it's more likely there's something else afoot. We've never seen a Scavenger drone anywhere near a barnacle (AFAIK), so suggesting that the Scavengers are dismantling the bases to nurture the Barnacles doesn't seem to fit. While (as I said) it's definitely possible, it seems likely that if that were the case, given how many people are zooming around the barnacles and bases, that we might have seen a Barnacle-scavenger interaction by now. We have seen the Flower ships interacting with both the bases and the barnacles, so there could indeed be the transfer you suggested. It's very likely there is some sort of transfer, either data or material because we see the beams coming from the flower ships - but what, we're not sure.


    Personally, I don't think we're seeing an Alien eco-system. Thargoids aren't animals, they're smarter than Humans, older, with better tech. These aren't animals and plants driven by instinct, nature and random systems, they're programmed machines doing a job placed where they are for specific reasons. We're seeing a part of something bigger and this is just a small aspect of it. Most of it just doesn't yet make sense. Like:

    why they would seed the Pleiades with Barnacles, why not literally anywhere else? (Witch Head and California seem to be more like backup sites?) What is it about Merope that makes it the centre of all this? Is it just an arbitrary choice by the Thargoids? Is there something in Merope that we're not seeing? Did they have to seed that area or are they choosing to do so? Right now it's actually the dullest place in the whole Thargoid return (afaik there's a bit of an activity void there?). We're not seeing barnacle forest grow there, we're seeing them spring up elsewhere, there's no old bases there... nothing!

    Thargoid hyperdrive is better than ours. Why not go 10kilolights out and set up there? Why right next to the bubble in the exact same place they did before? Why drop all those probes where we can find them and figure out they point to Merope and Col70... why do that? Why point to Col70 at all? What's there? There's certainly been no Thargoid activity at all around the Col70 borders. If anything it's looking more likely that that's Guardian space rather than Thargoid space(or both!).

    They could clearly disable our ships from the start, so why not send the flower ships into the bubble. They didn't, they maintain a very specific 150-ish ly bubble centred on Merope. Why? If anything, they gave us time to adapt to them! Anyone would think they aren't in the slightest bit hostile and are only defending themselves...

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast