Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Thargoid Data Gathering Effort: We need your help!

Thargoid Data Gathering Effort: We need your help!

TL DR: Help us complete these forms to gather data about the alien interactions.

Alright, let's do some field research, commanders.

Hypothesis:
    The Thargoid interactions are spreading, affecting new systems on a daily basis.
    Proof: Very poor, a few commanders as witnesses. No formal data gathering has been done.
    Proposed research: Field Data Gathering to answer three questions:
    1. Are the Thargoid Hyperdictions spreading or changing in nature?
    2. Are the Thargoid attacks spreading or changing in nature?
    3. What do the Thargoid Markings mean?

Provided data gathering tools:

USE OF THE THARGOID ENGOUNTER EDCM PLUGIN:

First, you will need to download and install the Elite Dangerous Market Connector.
    Then download the USS survey plugin (in the quote below) and unzip it in the EDMC plugin folder.

Originally Posted by LCU No Fool Like One View Post (Source)
    I'm really pleased to announce that I have completed the new release of USS survey.

As well as automatically logging USS and Hyperdictions it will also allow you to click through to the manual forms with some of the details pre-filled. This makes it a doddle to enter manual details, ever someone as lazy as me will fill in the manual forms if they use the plugin.

You can download the plugin from here

To install, just remove the previously installed directory, the unzip the latest release into your plugins directory.

Please could you report any issues on Github.
    PIRANHA'S 3D MAPPER TOOL (use this to visualize the map on your computer):

Originally Posted by piranha9 View Post (Source)
    Hello Cmdrs,

Happy to help sciencing the sh.. out of the Thargoids!

I modified my old Hyperdiction mapper to visualize the new data we got from M. Volgrands spreadsheets.
    The first version is ready now, but i'll update it sooner or later because not everything is working as intended

The app shows all Thargoid activities as a heatmap, aswell as Hyperdictions between systems (shown as connecting lines).
    You can scubb the timeslider to see the activities evolving (not working for Hyperdictions yet).

https://i.imgur.com/RgXEsVQ.jpg

ThargoidMapper is done in Unity and Windows only, you can download it from dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubas1lvwf5...apper.zip?dl=0

Just unpack und run.

If you want to modify the databases, here is a description:

After installing, locate the following path:

ED_ThargoidMapper\ED_ThargoidMapper_Data\special\

There are the following files:

referenceSystems.tsv: Here you can add systems that are always included. Does not do much at the moment.
    externalSystems.tsv: All system informations for this app is gathered from EDDB, but not all systems are included in this database. Here you can add additional systems by name and position
    import_ThargoidInteractions.tsv: This is the Activities spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.
    import_ThargoidHyperdictions.tsv: This is the Hyperdiction spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.

All we need now is YOU to gather more information and add it to the spreadsheets!

Cheers!

ADVISE FOR FIELD SCIENTISTS:

Always bring with you a xeno scanner. You may gather new data, and will make the identification of the signal a lot easier.
    Always take an screenshot of the Thargoid Vessel AND its marking. This will be specially important if you find a new one.
    Any observation of new behaviour will be very welcome. Also note any test you may do and its result.

Ongoing observations and theories:

The aliens with the markings A1-3 and B2-1 may not be aggresive at all.

Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5971966

No Logogram seems to be more frequent than others. Still no logged reports out of the UA shell (Thanks, cmdr Factabulous)
    Nothing from the Logograms, seems an even spread, no 'common' ones ; only 1B-2 has hit 3 reports.

NHSS Reports in Ly from Merope, still no logged reports out of the Merope UA shell.

https://i.imgur.com/4Gcqc86.png
    More spread organized observations seems to show a widespread alien activity around the UA shell.

Originally Posted by M. Volgrand View Post (Source)
    OBSERVATIONS UPDATE:

Following the Thargoid bases, as proposed by LCU and using his EDMC addon, have already granted results. It is clear that the aliens seem to actually act in the systems where alien bases are present. The 3d Map already looks more like an sphere, which seems to confirm that their attack are spread all around the UA shell (about 150LY around Merope). There are no clear reports of alien attacks outside this shell, the reasons are unknown.

Every time I have engaged Tahrgoids I have been offered a Blaxck Box retrieval mission for a whopping 2mil-Why is this relevant? Because every time I accept such mission, (I imagine similar to Palin's special mission trigger) I am hyperdicted on next jump or so.

Originally Posted by Archduke View Post (Source)
    Every time I have engaged Tahrgoids I have been offered a Blaxck Box retrieval mission for a whopping 2mil-Why is this relevant? Because every time I accept such mission, (I imagine similar to Palin's special mission trigger) I am hyperdicted on next jump or so.
    Never got that myself. If it ever happens please come here and complete the form, it may be a hint to something else happening around!

This thread should be pinned - more than most of those that have. Also the one about id'ing thargoid types https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ams-Compendium

Edit: Ah, I see all the moderators on this forum are Canonn ...

Possibly because the Thargoids liberate a black box occasionally (rarely?) at the damaged ships. I picked one up at a Thargoid USS and didnt know what to do with it afterwards, because no black markets seemed to want it. In the end I ejected it.

PS - TIssue Sampler - where do I get one, please?

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Possibly because the Thargoids liberate a black box occasionally (rarely?) at the damaged ships. I picked one up at a Thargoid USS and didnt know what to do with it afterwards, because no black markets seemed to want it. In the end I ejected it.

Founders world, only place I know and I don't have access to it :_(

See the FAQ - which is also not pinned https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...95#post5952095

Any reason the NHSS form doesn't collect more about whether the Thargoids attack? I seem to see some that attack, and some that just bug out, but I don't know why as I think I'm doing the same...

(Feel free to point me at a 'this is what thargoids do thread, I've been avoiding them all day)

Edit: Or alternately tell me when I should be doing the Xemo-scan to avoid aggro-ing the Thargoid

Search and Rescue agent under the contacts menu accept the black boxes, along with other things like escape pods (occupied and damaged), personal items, etc...

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Any reason the NHSS form doesn't collect more about whether the Thargoids attack? I seem to see some that attack, and some that just bug out, but I don't know why as I think I'm doing the same...

(Feel free to point me at a 'this is what thargoids do thread, I've been avoiding them all day)

Edit: Or alternately tell me when I should be doing the Xeno-scan to avoid aggro-ing the Thargoid
    Assuming you have no cargo they want, the moment you & it have finished scans back off immediately, if the Thargoid scans cargo where it is & you're within 500m it'll turn hostile. If you back off, it never should, it's what I've found anyway .

Great to see this data gathering at last , I've already got about a dozen systems I've been to where there are NHSSs. I'll submit them tomorrow, as for now I'm rescuing escape pods from the Thargoids!
    THARGOID SITE CANDIDATE SYSTEMS SEARCH LIST & CRITERIA (WIP)
    i7 4930k @4.1 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1866, G/byte HD 7970 3 GB, (128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3TB & 1TB HDD)
    Team AnandTech - SETI@Home, Muon1, Folding@H, MilkyWay@H, Asteroids@H, Rosetta@H, Skynet-POGS, LHC@H & Einstein@H - helping science with my PC.
    Commander Mark P D......

I'm wondering if we should have negative reports as well - I'm doing economical jumps away from Maia towards the core and some systems seem to spawn NHSS far faster (and more frequently) than others.

But then again what would be do with negative reports (though it might allow us to classify systems where Thargoids are more / less likely)

Edit: for instance Pleiades Sector ZA-N b7-2 doesn't seem to have MHSS spawn, despite being < 70 Ly from Merope, but the previous system I checked Pleiades Sector ZA-N b7-1 (< 5 ly away) had plenty.

Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    Assuming you have no cargo they want, the moment you & it have finished scans back off immediately, if the Thargoid scans cargo where it is & you're within 500m it'll turn hostile. If you back off, it never should, it's what I've found anyway .

Great to see this data gathering at last , I've already got about a dozen systems I've been to where there are NHSSs. I'll submit them tomorrow, as for now I'm rescuing escape pods from the Thargoids!
    that makes sense - they seemed happy, then they went and scanned a dead fed anaconda and decided to attack me. Need to sort out my controls - reverse is not something I've needed to use a lot before o7

I've spent most of the weekend investigating the Threat 5 encounters.
    I've been flying a completely unarmed DBX and have never had a hostile encounter, though I've had a few complain and pop their Thargons if I got too close.
    Some of them even let me scoop occupied escape pods out of the instance without any complaint at all.

Unfortunately I wasn't recording the info you were after - I was trying to triangulate their destination on waking out of the area, but I did run into a few in the region of 100ly from maia/merope, but ill try to keep track when I'm back out there.

Exploration screenshot gallery
    from the far reaches taken by CMDR DrNoesis aboard the Ethics Gradient.

Yea I had at least 1 system with many NHSSs 133 LYs from Merope.

Another thought, what about the sounds they make after each scan?

I'm wondering if we should have negative reports as well - I'm doing economical jumps away from Maia towards the core and some systems seem to spawn NHSS far faster (and more frequently) than others.

But then again what would be do with negative reports (though it might allow us to classify systems where Thargoids are more / less likely)

Edit: for instance Pleiades Sector ZA-N b7-2 doesn't seem to have MHSS spawn, despite being < 70 Ly from Merope, but the previous system I checked Pleiades Sector ZA-N b7-1 (< 5 ly away) had plenty.

that makes sense - they seemed happy, then they went and scanned a dead fed anaconda and decided to attack me. Need to sort out my controls - reverse is not something I've needed to use a lot before o7
    Yea was the initial scan of you is over, I don't think they like you being within 500m. And they won't move off if something is within there scanning range. So they'll turn to scan, & then turn back cos you're still in 'there' space!

And I've noticed varying incidence of NHSS, I'm rating them now, low, med, high.
    Oh also, An odd thing I've noticed, is that with some at least, when I have pods on board they don't turn hostile, even when I've just scooped them from under their nose!
    THARGOID SITE CANDIDATE SYSTEMS SEARCH LIST & CRITERIA (WIP)
    i7 4930k @4.1 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1866, G/byte HD 7970 3 GB, (128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3TB & 1TB HDD)
    Team AnandTech - SETI@Home, Muon1, Folding@H, MilkyWay@H, Asteroids@H, Rosetta@H, Skynet-POGS, LHC@H & Einstein@H - helping science with my PC.
    Commander Mark P D......

I have turned in a black box at a station's Search and Rescue but never noticed or got a mission to retrieve another black box for 2 mil CRs. Where or how are you getting these missions?

When you engage Thargoids, do you attack or just scan them?

Edit: Or alternately tell me when I should be doing the Xemo-scan to avoid aggro-ing the Thargoid
    Basically, those are the behaviours we have observed. If you ever observe something different indicate it in the comments. When I have confirmation that this is a new behaviour, I´ll add it to the options.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast