Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Frontier Expo 2017 Recap

It seems like fd have pretty much all aspects of the ed experience covered in these improvements, sounds pretty dam sweet to me.
    Now I just need confirmation that there will be a paid for season or a group of dlc's after this is done.

Thanks Dale. Excellent post. And beautiful images with the right format. Beautiful things to come for 2018

Just feedback after reading these things, many of which sound very good :)

Engineering - We’re going to make sure that every upgrade you craft with engineers will be an improvement on what you currently have
    I think it's been discussed to some point, I guess this will open the path to Primary "god-rolls" with only Secondary effects lagging behind to achieve absolute "god-rolls" (?)
    Just makes me wonder how non-Horizons/Mac owners will cope with that, sounds like the Delta between V1.x Players and V2+ Players will quickly get stretched to the maximum possible.

Idea : Permit V1.x Players to access generic "Tuning", comparable to let's say Grade 1 Engineer level. Just to keep them onboard.

Crime and Punishment - We’re going to add teeth to system authority ships response to better support meaningful consequence for criminal activities
    Sounds excellent, long long overdue.
    If your next CG Livestream under these new circumstances can showcase System Authority successfully fending off attacking Players trying to snipe the poor Staff - you'll know you did things right ;)

Trade - We’re going to improve trade data information to let you make more informed decisions when trying to buy low and sell high
    Idea from an "oldfart" Player : please make it count, i.e. permit Players to Trade to actually help Systems/Stations etc. Let it have an actual and tangible effect, such as permanently improving Quality of the Trade Hub.
    Example : After successful Trade support, Local News beginning to hint to an opportunity that the Place might invest in improved Facilities (better Outfitting, Shipyard selection, missing Facilities - or eventually maybe even grow Population & Economy size)
    An incentive to perform Trading not just for profit - but to improve the place. Home Improvement. Something for endgame (or BGS) guys to take interest in, something other than naked Credits.

Continuing Narrative - From update 1 in the Beyond series you’ll see all of the current story threads continue to develop. The story will continue to influence the content and gameplay of Elite Dangerous. As the community explore the locations progressing the global narrative this will also unlock items for individual Commanders.[/b]
    Story threads as in plural?
    No offense but apart from the ongoing Thargoid narrative, I'd be hard-pressed to identify a "second thread", let alone more than that (honestly) (?)
    Maybe just me, but I think it'd be useful to... hmm... "improve visibility" of those. Give them more presence, more color. More character. To me, they seem too obscured and almost hidden from view.

Mining - A big focus of these updates is core gameplay, so we want to take another look at mining. We want to make the processes of mining more involving and satisfying. It needs to be more than just lasering an asteroid. We want to expand the ways in which you detect and extract resources, give you a tool set, variety and choice in how you mine. Importantly, we want invoke the feeling of Wild West prospecting: jeopardy from crises and challenges out in the void, and the potential for striking it big finding the mother lode in special asteroids. Our goal is to make mining a fully-fledged career, something that you can progress and work on.
    Hmm.... Planetary Mining? Pretty pretty please with a sugar-coated cherry on top? :D
    Otherwise, I'd love to have a real incentive to go prospecting in Deep Space and find my "mother lode" Asteroid Belt somewhere out there. "Diamond City". "7 Cities of Gold". Unobtainium. Alpha Rares.
    The stuff I'd be happy to throw a big Fuel Scoop onto my Mining Rig and travel hundreds of LY to, knowing I can return with a load worth a full Day trip.
    And the stuff I'd be willing to navigate my Heavy Mining Rig through dangerous phenomenon for.
    Or see my Mining Lasers potentially cause a feedback cascade in one of those weird, rare Crystalline Cluster Asteroids - but continue mining, because it's worth the risk of facing a Cat 3 EMP shockwave sending me tumbleweed or something :D

Exploration - we’re going to significantly improve and build on exploration. The exploring flow will be more involved, more efficient and more satisfying. These new mechanics will also improve the experience for anyone searching for something, be that a mission or a particular resource. To support exploration we’re adding the Codex, an archive that logs your exploration achievements and acts as a repository for game lore. There will also be new phenomena, anomalies and other exciting things to discover.
    Consider me hooked :)

PS.
    What's taken you guys so long to move into what sounds like exactly the right direction? ;)

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Exploration - we’re going to significantly improve and build on exploration. The exploring flow will be more involved, more efficient and more satisfying. These new mechanics will also improve the experience for anyone searching for something, be that a mission or a particular resource. To support exploration we’re adding the Codex, an archive that logs your exploration achievements and acts as a repository for game lore. There will also be new phenomena, anomalies and other exciting things to discover.
    Thanks, Dale. Reading this has made an avid explorer very happy indeed (as did everything else announced yesterday). Just a small question. I appreciate it's probably far too early to say or know, but could the Codex be populated with everyone's previous first discoveries when it launches? This is going to be a feature with massive potential and it'll be even better if it already has a complete record of a commander's exploration history from the start.

Also, could the behind the scenes video shown in the content reveal be posted please? This was absolutely wonderful and FD's passion both for the game and its community really shone through. It would be great if we could have short videos like this more regularly... maybe bring back the Dev Updates and feature content like this there?

10-4 FDevs...... rock on!

Dale, Dale....DALE!!!!!!! You forgot to add the absolute best preview pic from the entire Frontier Expo to your post:

COLORFUL PLANETS!!!! NO MORE BEIGE!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Dale, Dale....DALE!!!!!!! You forgot to add the absolute best preview pic from the entire Frontier Expo to your post:

https://i.imgur.com/5VvBFUS.png

COLORFUL PLANETS!!!! NO MORE BEIGE!!!!!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/OxCCHpx.gif
    Mengy, I very much look forward to joining you & your fellow explorers later in 2018 :).

Awesome news, folks! Really looking forward to it all. :D

Looks to me as if FDev has assigned its resources to Jurassic World as "beyond" seems pretty featureless. I was hoping for space legs, landing on volcanic planets or even atmospheric ones. With what I see here it's just "new ships" and bug fixes to me.

This is wrong, they put the 2.1 and 2.2 updates between 2017 and 2018, when they should have been placed between 2016 and 2017.

Originally Posted by Pest View Post (Source)
    Looks to me as if FDev has assigned its resources to Jurassic World as "beyond" seems pretty featureless. I was hoping for space legs, landing on volcanic planets or even atmospheric ones. With what I see here it's just "new ships" and bug fixes to me.
    Yawn, how very dull. Where is my "Ignore" button.

Cheers Dale, nice write-up. Good to finally meet you at the Expo too.

Another nice write-up (not as pretty but more bullet points) over here ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...oadmap-Summary

This roadmap is everything I dreamed of. Making the product more mature and more stable by adding small amounts of valuable content in terms of changes to gameplay structure.

IF (capital letters intended) Frontier does what it proposed I will finally be a very happy customer. Money incoming, folks!

Originally Posted by FalconFly View Post (Source)
    What's taken you guys so long to move into what sounds like exactly the right direction? ;)
    They have told in advance what will we get in the 2.x updates, and asked money for it. It's hard to change that without a lot of refunds, and it was a good direction anyway. Problem was, it took them way too long to get to 2.4. My guess is the platform (PS4 and XBOX) developments took more time they have thought they would, but those projects were more important than the new features.

Originally Posted by Iori View Post (Source)
    This is wrong, they put the 2.1 and 2.2 updates between 2017 and 2018, when they should have been placed between 2016 and 2017.
    Indeed, but it looks better this way. ;-) Lets not dwell on the past, shall we? ;-)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast