Page 75 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1681

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Out of curiosity, what geology makes pink canyons and purple mountains?
    Have a look at detailed scan results fot the body. FD seem to be good at tying visual mineral colours to local constituents., e.g. Cadmium Yellow, & icy planets are often varying shades of blue

Agreed.Very busy moon with pirates and cops. Tons of POIs ... solo and overlapping. So far they've yielded either crash sites or pirate hoards guarded by skimmers. Good planet if you need iron, carbon, chromium, sulphur, selenium, or tin.

Hows it going?

How is the search going? after 9 hours of searching I had to go get some sleep. anyone find anything yet?

Originally Posted by CMDR_WaynesCraft View Post (Source)
    How is the search going? after 9 hours of searching I had to go get some sleep. anyone find anything yet?
    Yes, we all found it*, but decided not to post as we are shy

* may not actually be the case. I imagine someone will post once anything is found

(Unless you're interested in non-persistent POI and NPC ships - I've found plenty of those)

Does anyone have any ideas on the very odd phrasing of the message message that lead us here?

"SECURE 9 14 18 1 RISKY MOVE DRIVE TECH WHAT CHOICE IGNORING EVERYTHING CONN A3A SECURE"

I'm reading this like:

**SECURE**
    INRA risky. Move Drive Tech. What choice? Ignoring everything. Conn a3a.
    **SECURE**

I'm reading it to it mean "It's risky leaving this with INRA (or, INRA is risky right now for reasons), so I'm moving the Drive Tech, what choice do I have? I'm ignoring everything (presumably means hails and demands to check-in?)."

What drive tech is this? I assumed when I first read it last night it means either the MetaDrive 'no-wake' tech mentioned extensively in Premonition. But now I'm wondering if (assuming this is an old message) it means FSD tech taken from INRA projects researching Thargoid hyperdrives?

What do you think?

And, does understanding the message have any bearing on what we're looking for?

I did wonder, instead of a base, what if we're actually looking for a crashed ship... I mean, that message could be read as the last message of a ship carrying "drive tech" before it gets shot down.

However the JJ-386 crash is on a beige planet as far as I can tell and there isn't any in the Conn system And if it never made it to Conn then the message that lead us here is worthless, and that seems mean!

So, I assume we're looking for a base that was either the destination or departure point of whoever sent the message?

Well... i have had the same idea. And it was a discussion yesterday on a stream. You could be right. There was a risk with INRA (the sender of the message couldnt even transmit the word INRA but had to cipher it wich could mean he was hunted by them.) So he had to move some kind of experimental drive tech, he considerd he had no other choice. And by doing so he ignored everything. Maybe safety protocols, maybe something else.
    Conn A3A could be where he hid the drive tech, where he was headed or where he came from.
    Why is the beacon in Teegardens? He must have passed through there.

There is lots of questions right now that we dont have the answers to.

What drive tech is this? I assumed when I first read it last night it means either the MetaDrive 'no-wake' tech mentioned extensively in Premonition. But now I'm wondering if (assuming this is an old message) it means FSD tech taken from INRA projects researching Thargoid hyperdrives?

What do you think?
    I'm thinking it's either about someone discovering INRA are planning on using mycoid against Thargoid hyperdrives and wants to move it out of their way. Or, as you suggest, INRA were developing drive tech based on Thargoid tech and someone didn't trust them.

Originally Posted by TSH84 View Post (Source)
    Well... i have had the same idea. And it was a discussion yesterday on a stream. You could be right. There was a risk with INRA (the sender of the message couldnt even transmit the word INRA but had to cipher it wich could mean he was hunted by them.) So he had to move some kind of experimental drive tech, he considerd he had no other choice. And by doing so he ignored everything. Maybe safety protocols, maybe something else.
    Conn A3A could be where he hid the drive tech, where he was headed or where he came from.
    Why is the beacon in Teegardens? He must have passed through there.

There is lots of questions right now that we dont have the answers to.
    Ah yes, that makes more sense:

"Security at INRA risky (at risk?). Moving the drive tech. Don't have a choice. Ignoring everything (security protocols). Moving it to Conn A3A which is still secure."

That does make more sense

I assume Teegarden is just a listening post/comm uplink thing? Might give some clue as to where the message was going, if you assume it's relayed through some sort of FTL comm-network, it might be that if you trace a line from Conn through Teegarden you might get an idea of the destination? That might be crazy, just an idea! Obviously there's no real reason that the relays need to be in a line, if it's FTL then I guess the message could exist everywhere in the network at once.

One of the previous bases mentioned corporate involvement and Sirius are the go-to corporate bigshots, also they were linked to the MetaDrive research project and the type 3 Hyperdrive that ultimately became FSD, so it makes sense the trail leads closer to Sol I guess.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    I'm thinking it's either about someone discovering INRA are planning on using mycoid against Thargoid hyperdrives and wants to move it out of their way. Or, as you suggest, INRA were developing drive tech based on Thargoid tech and someone didn't trust them.
    Ah yes, if they only had one Thargoid drive to experiment with at first that would make a lot of sense, I like that too!

*scratches head*

That's a lot of Federation probes I keep coming across, guarded by one single Viper, Asp or even a T9 of all things. And so far, always Federation...

Coincidence?

What height are people scanning from out of interest. 5km, 10, 20, higher? Last night I was looking at around 10-15km.

Does anyone have any ideas on the very odd phrasing of the message message that lead us here?

"SECURE 9 14 18 1 RISKY MOVE DRIVE TECH WHAT CHOICE IGNORING EVERYTHING CONN A3A SECURE"

I'm reading this like:

**SECURE**
    INRA risky. Move Drive Tech. What choice? Ignoring everything. Conn a3a.
    **SECURE**

I'm reading it to it mean "It's risky leaving this with INRA (or, INRA is risky right now for reasons), so I'm moving the Drive Tech, what choice do I have? I'm ignoring everything (presumably means hails and demands to check-in?)."

What do you think?

And, does understanding the message have any bearing on what we're looking for?

I did wonder, instead of a base, what if we're actually looking for a crashed ship... I mean, that message could be read as the last message of a ship carrying "drive tech" before it gets shot down.

However the JJ-386 crash is on a beige planet as far as I can tell and there isn't any in the Conn system And if it never made it to Conn then the message that lead us here is worthless, and that seems mean!

So, I assume we're looking for a base that was either the destination or departure point of whoever sent the message?
    It's very open to interpretation isn't it. Favouring the following at the moment, personally:

<INRA secure comms transmission starts>
    Risky move...
    It's Drive Tech though. What choice do I have? We need to get it and I'm going to ignore all our protocols and rules to do it. It's on Conn A 3 a
    <INRA secure comms transmission stops>

Type 1 drive tech was always rumoured to be based on Thargoid tech, so it could be related to that.

Possibly though it's from after the collapse of Galcop and the loss of the formula for Quirium, when the need for new drive tech would have been greatest.

(On a slight side note, the whole loss of the formula stuff has always sounded a bit of a hokey explanation to me, so I suspect something else was actuallly going on.)

Edit - added the "It's on Conn A 3 a." sentence that I forgot to put in first time round!

Originally Posted by CMDR_WaynesCraft View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Yes, we all found it*, but decided not to post as we are shy

* may not actually be the case. I imagine someone will post once anything is found

(Unless you're interested in non-persistent POI and NPC ships - I've found plenty of those)
    Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    *scratches head*

That's a lot of Federation probes I keep coming across, guarded by one single Viper, Asp or even a T9 of all things. And so far, always Federation...

Coincidence?
    Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    What height are people scanning from out of interest. 5km, 10, 20, higher? Last night I was looking at around 10-15km.
    How's everyone searching?

If anyone's checking POIs then it may be worth bearing in mind that the previous INRA discoveries weren't in POIs, so this may well be an eyeball search.

If it's useful, EfilOne's guide to settings to for an eyeball search are here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...19#post6037319

Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    It's very open to interpretation isn't it. Favouring the following at the moment, personally:

<INRA secure comms transmission starts>
    Risky move...
    It's Drive Tech though. What choice do I have? We need to get it and I'm going to ignore all our protocols and rules to do it.
    <INRA secure comems transmission stops>

Type 1 drive tech was always rumoured to be based on Thargoid tech, so it could be related to that.

Possibly though it's from after the collapse of Galcop and the loss of the formula for Quirium, when the need for new drive tech would have been greatest.

(On a slight side note, the whole loss of the formula stuff has always sounded a bit of a hokey explanation to me, so I suspect something else was actuallly going on.)
    problem with that translation, why mentioning Conn A3A?

but yeah.. the message is very open to interpretation..

and what is going on att Conn a3a?

If anyone's checking POIs then it may be worth bearing in mind that the previous INRA discoveries weren't in POIs, so this may well be an eyeball search.

Actually, considering the huge number of POI's on this moon, that's very helpful information.

Is it possible that what we're looking for could still overlap a POI though?

Why do you think I asked what height people were searching from It's the most useful piece of information that's missing from Efilone's way.

I've stopped at a couple of POIs to break up the monotony but mostly I'm just scanning canyons (as that's where the others have been) and especially craters that have their edges along canyons. I'm not bothering flying across the terminator.

The one thing I will say is it's much easier to use the camera suite rather than tilting the camera in the ship. You can just position it under the ship and the press V to activate ship controls to boost, and then press it again so you can look around. Plus the bonus is you can zoom in

Page 75 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6571727374757677787985 ... LastLast