Page 76 of 114 FirstFirst ... 6672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1702

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    It's very open to interpretation isn't it. Favouring the following at the moment, personally:

<INRA secure comms transmission starts>
    Risky move...
    It's Drive Tech though. What choice do I have? We need to get it and I'm going to ignore all our protocols and rules to do it.
    <INRA secure comems transmission stops>

Type 1 drive tech was always rumoured to be based on Thargoid tech, so it could be related to that.

Possibly though it's from after the collapse of Galcop and the loss of the formula for Quirium, when the need for new drive tech would have been greatest.

(On a slight side note, the whole loss of the formula stuff has always sounded a bit of a hokey explanation to me, so I suspect something else was actuallly going on.)
    That got me thinking!

I vaguely recall something about rumours of Quirium being derived from something Thargoid (though I've no idea if that's in the original game lore, or something fan-fiction?). If that's the case then I guess the timeline fits really well - Type 1 vanished after the collapse of Galcop, and GalCop was underpinned by having the "secret formula" to make all the space-fuel in the galaxy, people had to buy from them and do what they said really. If that fuel was based on Thargoid <something> and INRA effectively genocides the Thargoids, then maybe GalCop couldn't get/make Quirium any more. That might explain why they collapsed not long after the end of the war (If I've got my timelines right?), without all the funding from fuel supply I bet maintaining an interstellar co-operative probably was just too expensive, and once various organisations realised that they could say "no" to GalCop without having thier fuel supply cut off... that probably caused all sorts of troubles.

I'm sort of assuming that after GalCop collapsed and everyone had to resort to the slower 2b that a lot of money was spent trying to find the golden goose of faster travel again. Sirius made the type 3 which exploded, but it's fair to assume that they probably just figured out how to re-engineer the type 1 drive to use hydrogen fuel, but it wasn't quite right. The Alliance developed FSD based on Thargoid tech (according to Premonition), but they never specifically said it was new Thargoid tech, it could easily have been the same tech the Type 1 hyperdrive was based on, just using 150+ years of scientific advancement to alter it enough to get rid of the need for Thargoid-derived Quirium fuel?

So yeah, given that, depending on when that message was sent, ANY new drive technology would be potentially the most valuable thing in the galaxy to whoever held the patents.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    What height are people scanning from out of interest. 5km, 10, 20, higher? Last night I was looking at around 10-15km.
    I've been mostly trying to stick to around 4-6km since that's about when the other INRA bases seemed most visible to me - having said that they were pretty hard to spot even knowing the coordinates!

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Does anyone have any ideas on the very odd phrasing of the message message that lead us here?

"SECURE 9 14 18 1 RISKY MOVE DRIVE TECH WHAT CHOICE IGNORING EVERYTHING CONN A3A SECURE"

I'm reading this like:

**SECURE**
    INRA risky. Move Drive Tech. What choice? Ignoring everything. Conn a3a.
    **SECURE**

I'm reading it to it mean "It's risky leaving this with INRA (or, INRA is risky right now for reasons), so I'm moving the Drive Tech, what choice do I have? I'm ignoring everything (presumably means hails and demands to check-in?)."
    Make sense indeed !

Why do you think I asked what height people were searching from It's the most useful piece of information that's missing from Efilone's way.

I've stopped at a couple of POIs to break up the monotony but mostly I'm just scanning canyons (as that's where the others have been) and especially craters that have their edges along canyons. I'm not bothering flying across the terminator.

The one thing I will say is it's much easier to use the camera suite rather than tilting the camera in the ship. You can just position it under the ship and the press V to activate ship controls to boost, and then press it again so you can look around. Plus the bonus is you can zoom in
    Yeah, I thought you were probably eyeballing, but it would have terribly rude to exclude you from my 'reply to all search posts on the page'!

Anyway, as to your question itself, can't answer personally yet, I've only just set off from the Pleiades to head there. Probably about 4-5 km for me though, I would guess.

Yeah, I thought you were probably eyeballing, but it would have terribly rude to exclude you from my 'reply to all search posts on the page'!

Anyway, as to your question itself, can't answer personally yet, I've only just set off from the Pleiades to head there. Probably about 4-5 km for me though, I would guess.
    Hehe.

When I was flying to the other bases I was on Ultra graphics and I could spot the bases fairly easily from around 7+ Km away. But I did know I was in the right area then, and once I was on my way away I could still see them about 15-20Km away.

This time I've reduced my graphics to low and put the draw distance on max, but because some of the terrain isn't "popping in" until I'm a few Km away, I'm actually wondering if it is any better for searching.

That got me thinking!

I vaguely recall something about rumours of Quirium being derived from something Thargoid (though I've no idea if that's in the original game lore, or something fan-fiction?). If that's the case then I guess the timeline fits really well - Type 1 vanished after the collapse of Galcop, and GalCop was underpinned by having the "secret formula" to make all the space-fuel in the galaxy, people had to buy from them and do what they said really. If that fuel was based on Thargoid <something> and INRA effectively genocides the Thargoids, then maybe GalCop couldn't get/make Quirium any more. That might explain why they collapsed not long after the end of the war (If I've got my timelines right?), without all the funding from fuel supply I bet maintaining an interstellar co-operative probably was just too expensive, and once various organisations realised that they could say "no" to GalCop without having thier fuel supply cut off... that probably caused all sorts of troubles.

I'm sort of assuming that after GalCop collapsed and everyone had to resort to the slower 2b that a lot of money was spent trying to find the golden goose of faster travel again. Sirius made the type 3 which exploded, but it's fair to assume that they probably just figured out how to re-engineer the type 1 drive to use hydrogen fuel, but it wasn't quite right. The Alliance developed FSD based on Thargoid tech (according to Premonition), but they never specifically said it was new Thargoid tech, it could easily have been the same tech the Type 1 hyperdrive was based on, just using 150+ years of scientific advancement to alter it enough to get rid of the need for Thargoid-derived Quirium fuel?

So yeah, given that, depending on when that message was sent, ANY new drive technology would be potentially the most valuable thing in the galaxy to whoever held the patents.

I've been mostly trying to stick to around 4-6km since that's about when the other INRA bases seemed most visible to me - having said that they were pretty hard to spot even knowing the coordinates!
    On the whole, yes, that's pretty much what I've been thinking for a while. The fly in the ointment though is that ships could scoop hydrogen and convert it to Quirium on board, so it can't be a case of it being a centralised supply that was lost. Though perhaps what was lost was the ability to make any new Quirium refiners. That still leaves some awfully big holes in the explanation though. Still thinking on that one!

I'm suspecting doing a search in VR won't be of any advantage due to detail levels being too low?

I've just had an over exuberant landing and so I'm going to find somewhere to repair I'm going to take the opportunity to fly to one of the other bases and do some comparisons on distance/detail.

Originally Posted by TSH84 View Post (Source)
    problem with that translation, why mentioning Conn A3A?

but yeah.. the message is very open to interpretation..

and what is going on att Conn a3a?
    Oh, ha ha! I totally forgot to put the bit about Conn A 3 a in didn't I! Have updated the post to put it in. Thanks!

As to what's going on there, I guess we'll just have to find out!

I've just had an over exuberant landing and so I'm going to find somewhere to repair I'm going to take the opportunity to fly to one of the other bases and do some comparisons on distance/detail.
    I'm arriving a sec and am carrying hull repair limpets if you want patching up? I'm in Open.

That got me thinking!

According to Sarasvati logs, GalCop WAS still around in some fashion in 3172 (so 21/22 after the war) although greatly diminished.

You also forget that the type 3 must be more than just the type 1 modified for hydrogen, as it's also the device that allows supercruise, which is definitely new.

I'm arriving a sec and am carrying hull repair limpets if you want patching up? I'm in Open.
    Thanks for the offer, but it's OK. There was a base on my route to Hermitage anyway.

On the whole, yes, that's pretty much what I've been thinking for a while. The fly in the ointment though is that ships could scoop hydrogen and convert it to Quirium on board, so it can't be a case of it being a centralised supply that was lost. Though perhaps what was lost was the ability to make any new Quirium refiners. That still leaves some awfully big holes in the explanation though. Still thinking on that one!
    Hmmm. Good point. Food for thought!

I suppose the "secret of Quririum" could be a catalyst material inside the refineries? I guess if that were a Thargoid derived polymer... maybe it was affected by the Mycoid too? Or the supply was?

Ah, either way, I really like the idea of the refineries being the key to the old fuel, that does explain the fuel-scoop thing.

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    According to Sarasvati logs, GalCop WAS still around in some fashion in 3172 (so 21/22 after the war) although greatly diminished.

You also forget that the type 3 must be more than just the type 1 modified for hydrogen, as it's also the device that allows supercruise, which is definitely new.
    Type 3(b) (original version from the 3250's) didn't have super-cruise (that we know of), FSD does which is a development of Type 3 (I think it's technically the Type 3c?). So I assume supercruise is part of the development since the Type 3 was first tried out - even Thargoids don't seem to have supercruise, at least not like us anyway. The original type 3 was made by Sirius Corp, whereas FSD was made by the Alliance (iirc). Either there was corporate espionage going or, or they're both based on the same tech (Either the Type 1 and/or Thargoid tech makes sense).

"EXPERIMENTAL ENGINES WITHDRAWN. http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-en.../journals/all/
    The shipyards of Sirius L4 have announced that the new experimental hyperdrive engines, the Mk 3b, are being withdrawn from service for an indefinite period. The engines have proved fractious in use, probably because of the extreme temperatures reached by the main reactors in routine use and the reduced shielding introduced to enable greater sub-light acceleration to be achieved. We can easily forget that the design of new engines, as shown in the recent sad loss of the Highliner Antares, is not an exact science."

"01 JUL 3302 – Galactic News: Memorial to the Highliner Antares Unveiled http://ed.frank-heinrich.net/index.p..._News_Articles
    The Sirius Corporation has unveiled a memorial to those who lost their lives aboard the Highliner Antares, which was destroyed in 3251 during its maiden voyage."

3290 – Frame Shift Drive (Hyperspace Type 3) https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/
    "In the late 3290s a fast hyperspace mechanism was perfected that immediately made the Type 2b systems obsolete. Jump times were restored to mere seconds, but the advantages of longer range jumps retained. This was based on the, previously discredited, fast jump system developed for the ill-fated starship Antares. By 3300 virtually all of the type 2b drives had been decommissioned, with the loss of a number of ship classes that could not be retrofitted with the new systems due to design constraints."

Just as a sideline, it's been a while since I did scientific planetary exploration, and I must say the new music is just awesome.

Hmmm interesting. Now obviously it may vary from computer to computer but here are my findings from where it's possible to spot a base from. I tried both Ultra graphics and Low graphics (but with draw distance set to max). Low is far easier to spot the base. You will not see it if you are above 18Km from the surface, that was the distance it popped out of view for me. It popped into view at 35Km distance. While you can see it in the main cockpit view from that distance, the camera suite shot shows the same distance but on full zoom. And Hermitage is much darker than Conn.

Low Graphics:

Ultra Graphics:

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Just as a sideline, it's been a while since I did scientific planetary exploration, and I must say the new music is just awesome.
    Yep, it really is!