Page 77 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1681

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

Did anybody take a look at the given coordinates?!!

You mean the ones for the previous planet?

Originally Posted by Alkibiades View Post (Source)
    Did anybody take a look at the given coordinates?!!
    What given coordinates?

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Type 3(b) (original version from the 3250's) didn't have super-cruise (that we know of), FSD does which is a development of Type 3 (I think it's technically the Type 3c?). So I assume supercruise is part of the development since the Type 3 was first tried out - even Thargoids don't seem to have supercruise, at least not like us anyway. The original type 3 was made by Sirius Corp, whereas FSD was made by the Alliance (iirc). Either there was corporate espionage going or, or they're both based on the same tech (Either the Type 1 and/or Thargoid tech makes sense).

"EXPERIMENTAL ENGINES WITHDRAWN. http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-en.../journals/all/
    The shipyards of Sirius L4 have announced that the new experimental hyperdrive engines, the Mk 3b, are being withdrawn from service for an indefinite period. The engines have proved fractious in use, probably because of the extreme temperatures reached by the main reactors in routine use and the reduced shielding introduced to enable greater sub-light acceleration to be achieved. We can easily forget that the design of new engines, as shown in the recent sad loss of the Highliner Antares, is not an exact science."

"01 JUL 3302 – Galactic News: Memorial to the Highliner Antares Unveiled http://ed.frank-heinrich.net/index.p..._News_Articles
    The Sirius Corporation has unveiled a memorial to those who lost their lives aboard the Highliner Antares, which was destroyed in 3251 during its maiden voyage."

3290 – Frame Shift Drive (Hyperspace Type 3) https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/
    "In the late 3290s a fast hyperspace mechanism was perfected that immediately made the Type 2b systems obsolete. Jump times were restored to mere seconds, but the advantages of longer range jumps retained. This was based on the, previously discredited, fast jump system developed for the ill-fated starship Antares. By 3300 virtually all of the type 2b drives had been decommissioned, with the loss of a number of ship classes that could not be retrofitted with the new systems due to design constraints."
    From what I remember, Drew's stuff was authorised by FB to be put on his website, so going off that it seems like we have 0, 1, 2b and 3. I still think it's clear that class 3 is more than a modification of class 1.

9 14 18 1. -9,14/+18,1 for example.

yeah, it has been checked... it´s not coordinates...
    it spells INRA if replaced with the same number letter in the alphabet.

Actually I think the best thing to do is to load the game in Ultra settings (so it loads all the initial textures and planet shaders) and then once you get into the game, reduce your graphics to Low. The ground is rendering a lot better for me, but there's no detail or shadows to affect the search.

I'm currently at 44,60/179 and just found a SDF with ye good old plasma accelerator - just like near the other bases. And the area looks a lot like the one where we found the first base on Hermitage 4a.

Well that's new to me... I guess it isn't but I've never see it. A wing of Adder and Cobra just jumped in, Lawless, Elite pilots... never attacked me, just hovered near a POI for a minute or two... then jumped out.

Bit odd.

I was shamelessly trying to check for longer loading times when entering glide, if that still works.
    If not... this planet is fairly large, it could take some time to find it with eyeball Mk1.

May head out there to do some searching when I've finished dropping my 45m worth of passengers off in Medb and parked the bus back at Founders. Nice work on finding the beacon.

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    From what I remember, Drew's stuff was authorised by FB to be put on his website, so going off that it seems like we have 0, 1, 2b and 3. I still think it's clear that class 3 is more than a modification of class 1.
    "...Rumours abound that Quirium fuel was reverse engineered from captured Thargoid vessels." https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/

Originally Posted by drew View Post (Source)
    ...You're also right that the new hyperdrives are more akin in function to the ones in the original Elite, though using different technology and vastly extended jump ranges. The original Elite drives were more technically advanced than the ones present in FE2/FFE, but their technology was lost in the collapse of Galcop - now just a footnote in history.

Cheers,

Drew.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...FFE-Witchspace

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    The Alliance developed FSD based on Thargoid tech (according to Premonition), but they never specifically said it was new Thargoid tech, it could easily have been the same tech the Type 1 hyperdrive was based on, just using 150+ years of scientific advancement to alter it enough to get rid of the need for Thargoid-derived Quirium fuel?
    While not explicity stated. The fact that the Type 1 and Type 3 work in very similar ways (instant jump from A-B with in-system FTL) and there was rumours in lore that there was something to do with reverse-engineered Thargoid stuff in there for both drives. It seems reasonable to assume that Type 1 and 3 share a design lineage.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    The one thing I will say is it's much easier to use the camera suite rather than tilting the camera in the ship. You can just position it under the ship and the press V to activate ship controls to boost, and then press it again so you can look around. Plus the bonus is you can zoom in
    Can't believe I didn't think of this. And that I've never got around to trying external camera canyon type running before.

Most fun I've had in a long time with ED today. Found out that an 800 speed courier just isn't enough. Now have plans for a stripped Viper 3 for 850.

Just to confirm, do we have any kind of search tools at our disposal? Loading times when exiting SC? Do we check every single POIs we encounter? Or skip the POIs completely and just use eyeball search at 10-15km AGL?

Originally Posted by MAUXUS View Post (Source)
    Just to confirm, do we have any kind of search tools at our disposal? Loading times when exiting SC? Do we check every single POIs we encounter? Or skip the POIs completely and just use eyeball search at 10-15km AGL?
    None of the previous bases have been found in a surface POI but there were loads of surface POIs around them on the flight path, so dropping into a POI is unlikely to be helpful but they may be useful in identifying areas that are worth a good Mk1 eyeball scan.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    The one thing I will say is it's much easier to use the camera suite rather than tilting the camera in the ship. You can just position it under the ship and the press V to activate ship controls to boost, and then press it again so you can look around. Plus the bonus is you can zoom in
    I worried about doing that just in case the draw distance etc works differently in external camera mode. I was using external camera for scanning back when we were looking for the Formidine rift mystery bases in the rift, conflux and Hawking's Gap and I know for a fact that I flew pretty much directly over one of the Hawking's Gap ones before it was found without actually seeing anything. I've been paranoid about that being due to using external camera ever since.

Page 77 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6773747576777879808187 ... LastLast