Page 78 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1687

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

  1. #1156
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    None of the previous bases have been found in a surface POI but there were loads of surface POIs around them on the flight path, so dropping into a POI is unlikely to be helpful but they may be useful in identifying areas that are worth a good Mk1 eyeball scan.
    Sadly this planet seems littered with POI's, I think Fdev is trolling us.

    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    I worried about doing that just in case the draw distance etc works differently in external camera mode. I was using external camera for scanning back when we were looking for the Formidine rift mystery bases in the rift, conflux and Hawking's Gap and I know for a fact that I flew pretty much directly over one of the Hawking's Gap ones before it was found without actually seeing anything. I've been paranoid about that being due to using external camera ever since.
    Thanks, good to know, I often use external cam because you get that nice wide FOV with it. Will avoid that from now on.

  2. #1157
    Originally Posted by Trickle View Post (Source)
    Can't believe I didn't think of this. And that I've never got around to trying external camera canyon type running before.

    Most fun I've had in a long time with ED today. Found out that an 800 speed courier just isn't enough. Now have plans for a stripped Viper 3 for 850.
    Oh hello It was good to see you briefly in game earlier. Ha, 800, I'm only in my Asp 450m/s, I am thinking about buying and doing a bit of engineering on a courier though...

    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    I worried about doing that just in case the draw distance etc works differently in external camera mode. I was using external camera for scanning back when we were looking for the Formidine rift mystery bases in the rift, conflux and Hawking's Gap and I know for a fact that I flew pretty much directly over one of the Hawking's Gap ones before it was found without actually seeing anything. I've been paranoid about that being due to using external camera ever since.
    Well I can certainly understand why you'd be paranoid I did post some pictures on the last page showing my checks using the external camera, but it may be hard to sway you hehe.

  3. #1158
    Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    Well I can certainly understand why you'd be paranoid I did post some pictures on the last page showing my checks using the external camera, but it may be hard to sway you hehe.
    Once they've 'popped in' I can see them fine in both cockpit view and external cam, I've taken shots of all the others with the external cam on the way in, I was meaning more for them to initially appear. However I'll freely admit this is not based on science. I definitely flew within 10k of the Hawkings Gap base I mentioned without seeing it though, I remember specifically because I was MAD AS HELL when it was actually discovered lol.

    I'm currently looking around 45, -62 by the way, it's an area with a huge crater and a smaller one a short distance away with a canyon/ravine network running through and between them. Lots of POIs around here, I've picked up enough nerve agents to start a small and grubby war, but nothing noteworthy so far.

  4. #1159
    Doh!! I hadn't thought of that ... previous INRA discoveries were eyeball searches, not POI. I've been doing POI landings and have been finding crash sites and pirate hoards.

    Tons of fed security in the area too for a lawless system ... is that odd?

  5. #1160
    57.45 -112.190 did find a small building with a link to scan. I think it is not a permanent poi.

  6. #1161
    I'm at the coordinates. There is indeed a base however its a POI. And it just changed shape right in front of my eyes. False alarm.

  7. #1162
    Originally Posted by Alkibiades View Post (Source)
    I'm at the coordinates. There is indeed a base however its a POI. And it just changed shape right in front of my eyes. False alarm.

    yep, confirmed.

  8. #1163
    Probably just coincidence but do you think there is some connection of the system Conn with organization The Sons of Conn from The War for Lugh (Jasmina Halsey declared the war)?

    http://crimsonstategroup.com/war-timeline/

  9. #1164
    To the folks saying there is no Brown on on the planet so it can't be the crashed Cobra...there's plenty of brown. Just covered in a lot of black. I looked around for a few this morning. Buppkis.


  10. #1165
    Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Sadly this planet seems littered with POI's, I think Fdev is trolling us.
    Can't remember the last time I saw a planet with this many surface POIs, every time you take off there are three of them around you. No joy finding the base yet but since I came in my old smuggling Asp I've been landing to check a few of the POIs out and I've now filled half my 80 tons of cargo capacity with platinum, nerve gas, drugs and bad pilots, so there's that.

  11. #1166
    It's deliberate, it must be. Is there any correlation between the other base locations, anything similar?

  12. #1167
    Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    "...Rumours abound that Quirium fuel was reverse engineered from captured Thargoid vessels." https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/


    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...FFE-Witchspace




    While not explicity stated. The fact that the Type 1 and Type 3 work in very similar ways (instant jump from A-B with in-system FTL) and there was rumours in lore that there was something to do with reverse-engineered Thargoid stuff in there for both drives. It seems reasonable to assume that Type 1 and 3 share a design lineage.
    Absolutely nothing suggests type 1 one had intra system FTL. The sudden expansion of humanity is not only because of the hyperspace jumps being back to instant, but also we're not restricted to sublight speeds in a system.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was just human ingenuity that developed the FSD, but it's more than the type 1 changing fuel.

  13. #1168
    Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    Absolutely nothing suggests type 1 one had intra system FTL. The sudden expansion of humanity is not only because of the hyperspace jumps being back to instant, but also we're not restricted to sublight speeds in a system.
    Are you sure?
    Originally Posted by Elite manual page 21
    Even in the safest systems there can be unseen dangers, and you will be well advised to approach orbit space, and the safety of the space station, as quickly as possible. Increase forward velocity to maximum. At this point you can take full advantage of the space-skip facility (J). Inter- space jumping does not function (because of interference patterns) if there is another ship, a planet or a sun in the immediate vicinity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Zxogh4jw8

  14. #1169
    Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    It's deliberate, it must be. Is there any correlation between the other base locations, anything similar?
    Nothing leaping out at me to be honest. If anybody puts any stock in system defence ships with plasma accelerators (and a beam laser) being a factor, I've just had by SRV fragged by one at 67.3, -2.1 after a highly amusing chase that lasted about five minutes. I should have just called my ship back in and I'd have got out of it but after about three minutes of Benny Hill style antics I doubled back underneath him to scoop up two escape pods before leaving and got stuck on the damn ship wreckage

    Heading home for a little while to repair my ship pride.

  15. #1170
    if the difficulty of finding anything is related to the importance of the find, this must be something very important we are looking for...