Page 81 of 114 FirstFirst ... 76798081828386 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1704

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

Originally Posted by CMDR MadRaptor View Post (Source)
    I feel that since the log was from an engineer they will probably be another cg to deliver goods that will then unlock these new hybrid drives
    As a good as that would have been, there's not going to be any new tech out of this. We've already got (or had) the drives. The logs are old. The only real question is which of our drive techs it relates to.

Originally Posted by Zenith View Post (Source)
    That last log reminds me of a section from the original Elite novella "The Dark Wheel"...

http://www.elitehomepage.org/dkwheel.htm
    That referred to the "Faraway" jump system used from 2800 onwards, (unless all hypderdrive systems lore has been retconned now ) - in the pre-3125 systems they had a system of "permanent" gates to go in-out of witchspace that were heavily maintained. He's referring there to jumping without using the gate system.

"The original hyperspace systems that were made commercially available were known as the ‘Faraway’ Jump systems. It took centuries for the complex series of monitoring satellites, branch lines, stop points, and rescue stations to be built using sublight technology along the major routes. Ultimately these hosted hundreds of channels, ‘lines’ for ships to travel through.

The ‘Faraway’ jump system was noted for its complexity in operation, requiring extensive pre-jump configuration by station based “Faraway Orientation Systems Controllers” (FOSC or SysCon). Hyperspacing ships required external help to initiate the jump. They were known for a certain sensitivity in operation, with the dangers of a misconfigured jump being listed as ‘atomic re-organisation’ and ‘time displacement’. Unsupervised jumps were extremely dangerous." https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/

This new system referred to in the logs is (IMO):
    the development of the 2B.

"With the demise of the Quirium based hyperdrive technology and the collapse of the Galactic Cooperative, hyperspace capabilities regressed somewhat. The Federation and the Empire possessed inferior technology which, whilst certainly more reliable and less prone to ‘mis-jumps’, was noticeably more pedestrian in performance.

Fuelled by common hydrogen, these jump systems often took many days to transfer ships between two points, sometimes up to an entire week."

Of course all the old lore and info may well have been entirely or partially retconned, which is also cool

Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    As a good as that would have been, there's not going to be any new tech out of this. We've already got (or had) the drives. The logs are old. The only real question is which of our drive techs it relates to.
    Agreed.

Posting this for CMDR TSH84 who found the comma beacon which lead to the base. He's the Diamondback in the foreground. Unfortunately he didn't have an SRV so couldn't even get the logs.
    Great work everyone involved! o7

Originally Posted by Gaz70uk View Post (Source)
    Posting this for CMDR TSH84 who found the comma beacon which lead to the base. He's the Diamondback in the foreground. Unfortunately he didn't have an SRV so couldn't even get the logs.
    Great work everyone involved! o7

https://i.imgur.com/HHVo9ye.jpg
    Indeed, great work.

That Yellow SRV in the pic is me taking the pics below lol!

Here's more pics of CMDR TSH84

o7 For giving us hope in the dark times after the trail went cold.

For our french mates, here is the transcriptions of the logs of all the INRA bases, in french.

https://osiris.science/nextcloud/ind...zgneYvQEJl8TXt

i updated my earlier post with a picture, and its the location of the base as seen from orbit/galactic map, its a very interesting land formation that its stood on

So, the discovering of this base is very interesting, but, it is not the one we were looking for initialy.
    The base where the vaccin was stored isn't yet discovered ^^

So, there is probably a 8th base to find

Ugh and where to start looking for that one then....

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Ugh and where to start looking for that one then....
    The unregistered beacon was found accidentaly during the time we was searched the base where the vaccin was stored, so I guess we must looking for this base the same way we started to searched it, by studying the old lore, trying to figure how we could shift from the FFE starmap to the ED galmap, etc...

I just wanted to point out that we didn't find the right base yet ^^ The one we were looking for initialy

FD planning meeting: "Let's leave them a clue..."

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    That referred to the "Faraway" jump system used from 2800 onwards, (unless all hypderdrive systems lore has been retconned now ) - in the pre-3125 systems they had a system of "permanent" gates to go in-out of witchspace that were heavily maintained. He's referring there to jumping without using the gate system.

"The original hyperspace systems that were made commercially available were known as the ‘Faraway’ Jump systems. It took centuries for the complex series of monitoring satellites, branch lines, stop points, and rescue stations to be built using sublight technology along the major routes. Ultimately these hosted hundreds of channels, ‘lines’ for ships to travel through.

The ‘Faraway’ jump system was noted for its complexity in operation, requiring extensive pre-jump configuration by station based “Faraway Orientation Systems Controllers” (FOSC or SysCon). Hyperspacing ships required external help to initiate the jump. They were known for a certain sensitivity in operation, with the dangers of a misconfigured jump being listed as ‘atomic re-organisation’ and ‘time displacement’. Unsupervised jumps were extremely dangerous." https://canonn.science/lore/drewwagar-hyperspace/

This new system referred to in the logs is (IMO):
    the development of the 2B.

"With the demise of the Quirium based hyperdrive technology and the collapse of the Galactic Cooperative, hyperspace capabilities regressed somewhat. The Federation and the Empire possessed inferior technology which, whilst certainly more reliable and less prone to ‘mis-jumps’, was noticeably more pedestrian in performance.

Fuelled by common hydrogen, these jump systems often took many days to transfer ships between two points, sometimes up to an entire week."

Of course all the old lore and info may well have been entirely or partially retconned, which is also cool

Agreed.
    Key phrase in there being "made commercially available"...

Originally Posted by Alex Ringess View Post (Source)
    The unregistered beacon was found accidentaly during the time we was searched the base where the vaccin was stored, so I guess we must looking for this base the same way we started to searched it, by studying the old lore, trying to figure how we could shift from the FFE starmap to the ED galmap, etc...

I just wanted to point out that we didn't find the right base yet ^^ The one we were looking for initialy
    I don't know if the old lore is going to be the most reliable way of finding stuff... I can't remember all the previous discussions so I'll take a read through though.

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    FD planning meeting: "Let's leave them a clue..."

Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    Key phrase in there being "made commercially available"...
    Actually the key phrase is this bit:

"It took centuries for the complex series of monitoring satellites, branch lines, stop points, and rescue stations to be built using sublight technology along the major routes. "

If they had access to FTL that didn't need all that junk, they wouldn't need to take centuries to set up all that junk to travel FTL. They'd just travel FTL.

EDIT:
    We also know that the logs are from around 3150-ish when the war ended because they reference the Mycoid development. Type 0 was pre-3125 according to existing dating (assuming nothing had been retconned). and Type 2b was 3200ish, so it does fit much better with Type 2b timeline than Type 0.

Think this latest base is tying in with the whole Antares and death of VP Smeaton (http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Nigel_Smeaton) and all that followed on - there are some containers on site that aren't marked as Mycoid - but, the deteriation on them looks awfully similar.

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    I don't know if the old lore is going to be the most reliable way of finding stuff... I can't remember all the previous discussions so I'll take a read through though.
    It was the way we used to defined the area of search when we started the hunt.

Page 81 of 114 FirstFirst ... 76798081828386 ... LastLast