Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1400

Thread: INRA Base Discoveries

Must be a cloaked Thargoid cruiser-level ship

So I'm guessing the best way to search is to come out of orbital cruise down to 500m? and just look out the window and boost, boost ?

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    Absolutely nothing suggests type 1 one had intra system FTL. The sudden expansion of humanity is not only because of the hyperspace jumps being back to instant, but also we're not restricted to sublight speeds in a system.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was just human ingenuity that developed the FSD, but it's more than the type 1 changing fuel.
    Originally Posted by Zieman View Post (Source)
    Yep that's what I was going to say Zieman, with the Type 1 you literally zip across system until a planet, station or other ship gets too close and you stop "mass locked" as it were. Almost exactly the same mechanism as current FSD Supercruise actually

And just to be clear Aldaris, I'm not suggesting they just changed fuel, I'm suggesting 'they' might have spent 150 years developing the technology into FSD which included removing the reliance on a fuel source that was no-longer available (which might have been similar to taking a petrol engine and working out how to do the same thing on battery power, which has taken human engineers quite a while, and we're arguably still not "there" yet) - other obvious improvements are to the jump range which is likely a non-trivial development. Though they don't seem to have changed it that much much since it seems to work in essentially the same way for all practical purposes.

It's interesting that during the time when humanity was using the Type 2B hyperdrive, there doesn't seem to have been Thargoid Hyperdictions... It was common with the Type 1 and now with FSD... It might just be a coincidence that during the time the Thargoids were (largely) absent from human space we were using the 2B drives, but... It's certainly interesting timing...

RE: expansion of humanity - It's not only Hyperspace jumps being back to instant and once more having the ability to use in-system FTL, it's also A) we're not restricted to only 7ly (as the Type 1 was), and b) We have MUCH better repair systems including AFMU's, which are a new development that didn't exist as recently as 20 years ago (source: Premonition, the Zazura, FFE, FE2). It's a lot of things that basically make it easier to travel and safer, and more chance of being able to get back

All of this still goes back to the original point though lol. The "Drive Technology" referenced in the message could easily be the prototype FSD (circa 3290-ish), or a Thargoid hyperdrive being tested (circa 3125...ish?), or the Meta-Drive no-wake version (circa 3302), or something we've never heard of.

im using the same technique i used to find the beacon...
    just drops down to the surface at a random spot, looks around and then goes to another system for a while...

that means, pure dumb luck

Originally Posted by TSH84 View Post (Source)
    if the difficulty of finding anything is related to the importance of the find, this must be something very important we are looking for...
    In which case Alshat message 3 was the most important location in the game, took months to find TBH this feels like the way it usually goes - the other INRA bases were found freakishly fast and maybe that's skewing peoples expectations.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    In which case Alshat message 3 was the most important location in the game, took months to find TBH this feels like the way it usually goes - the other INRA bases were found freakishly fast and maybe that's skewing peoples expectations.
    After doing the six base hop I've spent the past week to ten days searching, following leads and hunches.

Nothing........ eventually the penny will drop for some explorer.

Originally Posted by Moribus View Post (Source)
    Yep that's what I was going to say Zieman, with the Type 1 you literally zip across system until a planet, station or other ship gets too close and you stop "mass locked" as it were. Almost exactly the same mechanism as current FSD Supercruise actually

And just to be clear Aldaris, I'm not suggesting they just changed fuel, I'm suggesting 'they' might have spent 150 years developing the technology into FSD which included removing the reliance on a fuel source that was no-longer available (which might have been similar to taking a petrol engine and working out how to do the same thing on battery power, which has taken human engineers quite a while, and we're arguably still not "there" yet) - other obvious improvements are to the jump range which is likely a non-trivial development. Though they don't seem to have changed it that much much since it seems to work in essentially the same way for all practical purposes.

It's interesting that during the time when humanity was using the Type 2B hyperdrive, there doesn't seem to have been Thargoid Hyperdictions... It was common with the Type 1 and now with FSD... It might just be a coincidence that during the time the Thargoids were (largely) absent from human space we were using the 2B drives, but... It's certainly interesting timing...

RE: expansion of humanity - It's not only Hyperspace jumps being back to instant and once more having the ability to use in-system FTL, it's also A) we're not restricted to only 7ly (as the Type 1 was), and b) We have MUCH better repair systems including AFMU's, which are a new development that didn't exist as recently as 20 years ago (source: Premonition, the Zazura, FFE, FE2). It's a lot of things that basically make it easier to travel and safer, and more chance of being able to get back

All of this still goes back to the original point though lol. The "Drive Technology" referenced in the message could easily be the prototype FSD (circa 3290-ish), or a Thargoid hyperdrive being tested (circa 3125...ish?), or the Meta-Drive no-wake version (circa 3302), or something we've never heard of.
    I'm not getting into the full points of this post, but I personally think the type 1 and type 3 are completely different drives. I see no reason to believe otherwise at this point in time.

I wonder whether this message is actually new, as in because we've started finding the INRA bases, we're on to them and they're no longer secure. Basically, FD injection of assets as a response to player interaction of the game. Absolutely no way of proving it, but that might suggest it's the Meta Drive, er, drive.

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    U wonder whether this message is actually new, as in because we've started finding the INRA bases, we're on to them and they're no longer secure. Basically, FD injection of assets as a response to player interaction of the game. Absolutely no way of proving it, but that might suggest it's the Meta Drive, er, drive.
    Possibly, that does mean there's <somefaction> out there still attempting coverups too, which I like. And it would be nice to reconnect with the MetaDrive...drive story that seems to have just vanished.

i think we are getting somewhere now..
    that could be it.. IF this is a brand new beacon, and the message is made in 3303 and not a few hundred years ago.. it could mean someone is trying to cover up INRA traces... did INRA ever disband or is it still working in the dark out of sight from any authority?
    do they know something we dont that they desperatly want to hide? (as in having no other choice but to risk everything and move it)
    are they moving it to or from Conn A3A? (most likely to)

are we maybe looking for a landed ship in a hidden location on Conn A3A? or a base hidden in a location they think noone will search?
    if so, it wont be anywhere near a similar location to where the other INRA bases are.

this could be a lot deeper and darker then we have anticipated...

I like your thinking. So if we assume it's a hidden base (the secure destination):

As you say we might then be able to rule out, for example, the rims of craters, tops of mountains or hilly parts, the only interesting feature on an otherwise empty area, etc.

It's also worth considering that if we're looking for JJ-386, the only real clue for that is the brown ground behind it, as rOmiLaYu says (quoted below) there is brown ground on this planet. So maybe that's a place to focus on too, find some truly brown bits and get really close and hope (wrecks are so tiny... ).

Originally Posted by rOmiLaYu View Post (Source)
    To the folks saying there is no Brown on on the planet so it can't be the crashed Cobra...there's plenty of brown.
    Base search: I guess, maybe looking for a place that's:

a) Easy to get ships to (you need to resupply your base)
    b) hidden in some interesting way, because if you're making a secure facility then you may as well make a cool secure facility!
    c) maybe something that's easily visible from the air as a landmark, assuming you won't be broadcasting a beacon for your supply ships, then having something to tell them to visually look for from orbit and on approach might be good, like "when you hit the coordinates we gave you, fly between the purple mountains and you'll see the start of the canyon, just fly down that, you'll be hidden from observation as you approach" - that sort of thing.

Crash search: Brown ground...bumpy brown ground... from the pic it looks like it's not flat terrain, which does very much fit this planet, I'm not sure I've seen any flat area so far lol.

Here it is... finally...

Some screenshots, no spoilers: https://imgur.com/a/rMNlY

Damn, great work, that looked to be a pain to find.

Well, so much for 'No Wormholes' in the game :D

I notice there are no more leads to follow... does that mean that's it? Or will something 'happen' now we found the proof of Thargoid hyperdrive prototype tech?

Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Well, so much for 'No Wormholes' in the game :D

I notice there are no more leads to follow... does that mean that's it? Or will something 'happen' now we found the proof of Thargoid hyperdrive prototype tech?
    I feel that since the log was from an engineer they will probably be another cg to deliver goods that will then unlock these new hybrid drives

Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6975767778798081828389 ... LastLast