Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite small or medium ship?

Viper IV. My first ship after months in a Sidey. I love it, and it does everything I need. No engineering, but it'll jump 20 -25LY. It carries enough firepower to fend off most NPCs, and it has a little bit of cargo space.

It's so evil, it's called..........ERIC!

Really depends what I'm doing. But currently it's the DBX.

When it comes down to it, the ship that leaves me with the biggest impression....is the vulture.

Now, I'm not a combat pilot kind of person, but when you want to have fun killing people, the vulture is near impossible to beat. Why you might ask?

Because agility. Seriously, I love going into multi crew and piloting an SLF, and the vulture flies like one of them, without playing multi crew. That is why I have to say it's my favourite small ship, becuase of the smile it leaves on my face. Even if it is a filthy Fed ship .

Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post (Source)
    Cobra IV. Nuff said!
    Ladies & gentlemen, a true masochist!

Of course the Sidewinder, especially highly engineered stealth builds. An incredible fun ship to fly.
    The Imperial Eagle is an exceptional good canyon racer and mission runner for data delivery, besides being very stylish.
    For mission running inside the bubble i love to use a Cobra Mk. III, engineered for speed and jump range.
    My primary ship is the Asp Explorer fitted for deep space exploration and research.

And that is my whole fleet. I have owned several other ships, including the big ones, have hundreds of millions on the bank, but i always get back to these 4 ships.

I have four tracks small to big and mostly all engineered now:

Fighting:
    * DBS -> Viper Mk IV -> Vulture -> FDL -> Vette

Exploration Track:
    * DBE -> Asp -> Conda

Trade (only trade for CGs any more):
    * Python -> Cutter

Multipurpose (when I'm not sure what I want to do in the game):
    * Cobra -> Python -> My PvE Only Multi/Battle Cutter

As a dedicated FedRat, without a doubt it's the...iCourier.

Originally Posted by Rorkan View Post (Source)
    It's not a bad ship, it's just not part of the speed/shield combat meta.

- Excellent hardpoint placements
    - More hardpoints than any other small ship
    - More internals than any other small ship
    - Carry the most cargo of the small ships and the next one is the Keelback in the medium range

Yes, it's slow and compared to the most of the long jumpers a very moderate jump range if one measure exploration is getting to point X as quickly as possible unlike the other part of exploration of having everything needed for exploration on a budget.

But what it CAN do, it does VERY well.

- Full exploration fitting without having to sacrifice anything
    - 72 tonnes of cargo hauling while having a S4 shield
    - Can fit a refinery, mining lasers, cargo space, shields and collector/prospector limpets in a small ship frame

It can be made into a rather well armed tank and slugger but it will never win a race or be able to run away.

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    It's not a bad ship, it's just not part of the speed/shield combat meta.

- Excellent hardpoint placements
    - More hardpoints than any other small ship
    - More internals than any other small ship
    - Carry the most cargo of the small ships and the next one is the Keelback in the medium range

Yes, it's slow and compared to the most of the long jumpers a very moderate jump range if one measure exploration is getting to point X as quickly as possible unlike the other part of exploration of having everything needed for exploration on a budget.

But what it CAN do, it does VERY well.

- Full exploration fitting without having to sacrifice anything
    - 72 tonnes of cargo hauling while having a S4 shield
    - Can fit a refinery, mining lasers, cargo space, shields and collector/prospector limpets in a small ship frame

It can be made into a rather well armed tank and slugger but it will never win a race or be able to run away.
    All it needs is 25-50% more speed. Pre-engineered.

Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post (Source)
    I hated the Anaconda for a loong, loong time. But then they introduced the Cutter, and I decided to get a Conda to fund it.. a year and a half later I finally got out of it. But by then it greeted me like an old friend. Yeah, it's cumbersome, it turns like a brick taped to a larger brick, and you get so used to sitting at the end of the ship that you forget how to fly anything else.. but it grows on you I almost feel sorry for switching to a Cutter. But.. gotta bask man, gotta bask.
    Flying the Anaconda is like doing a tail grind on a long board, while skating uphill.

You'll get there, but your legs will be tired and your [expletive] will hurt, but you will get there, and on the way back down - just clear the way.

Still pottering about in my frEagle doing courier missions and the odd assassination here and there.

Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    All it needs is 25-50% more speed. Pre-engineered.
    Afaik its heavier than the MkIII so it should be slower.

But a 25% increase would not be unreasonable for both the AspS and the MkIV.

Originally Posted by Rorkan View Post (Source)
    Hey, Cobra IV is a mighty fine boat. Both she and the Keelback get a lot of undeserved flak, imho.

I'm an explorer, so I mainly spend my time in... my ADDER. Sure, it lacks any cargo space, but it's got decent speed and jump range, and to explore all you really need are the scoop, scanners and SRV.
    However, when I need a bigger ship, or one with cargo space (sometimes you find valuable goodies out in the black), I use my Keelback. I had been using the T6, but the Keelback just looks better.

The advantage to smaller ships is that they're less expensive. If I crash my Adder, or it gets blown up by pirates or Thargoids, or whatever, I'm not out millions of credits. It's expendable.
    In addition, they can land anywhere. If I'm flying a large ship, I can't use small or medium pads to land on.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Hey, Cobra IV is a mighty fine boat. Both she and the Keelback get a lot of undeserved flak, imho.
    The only thing people do not like about the keelback is the lack of 2nd seat afaik.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast