Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best mining ship for the money...?

Best mining ship for the money...?

I only started trying it in the last few days, but mining is actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it.

Right now, I'm mining in a Type-6; I'm wondering whether it's worth the dough to upgrade. I'm thinking about a Type-7, which I didn't care for when I was shipping/delivering because it couldn't dock everywhere, but I think it would be easier when mining, because I'm not required to dock in specific places.

But maybe another ship is better. My main issue is wanting more collectors out simultaneously, and more cargo space.

Recommendations welcome. Thanks.

I use a Python with 8 collectors (2 x class 5 and 1 x class 3) and a class 3 prospector. Class 4 refinery, 128 tons of cargo space. If you're mining just in rings (i.e. not in a res site) and don't mind not having a shield, you can take that to 192 tons by swapping out the shield for a third class 6 cargo rack. Depends whether you have the credits for a Python really.

The T-7's internals are a decent fit with mining but its distributor is terrible, one advantage of a Python is that it can easily fire a pair of class 2 mining lasers indefinitely and 8 collectors keep pace with that nicely. I've never tried a T-7 with an engineered distributor though, perhaps someone will have some input on that.

I've heard people use a Clipper but it doesn't have the same flexibility with internals as a Python does.

You can build a ridiculously effective mining ship using a 'conda but it's a pig to fly around asteroid fields. Actually it's a pig to fly to asteroid fields too.

Depends on cash. Type-9 is magnificent for mining; ignore the haters, the flying pizza box has the best darned view there is. Type-7 is great if budget is a concern, will run for about 27 mil or so. Something like this will give you a fairly cheap entry point (if you can engineer powerplant for grade 1 over-charged, then you can essentially go A rated boosters).

Distro is a weak point, though, as noted above; getting charge enhanced on that is super value. It comes down to budget, as always; python is quite good but obviously it's a lot more expensive, as is Anaconda. People will suggest both, assuming everyone has billions (because of course they do) and this is a bit silly.

I'll be mining in type-10 -- depending on internals -- it's going to be a beast.

Anaconda or python don't have the creds then go for an asp

Try to find something that has 2 size 2 hardpoints for mining lasers and a PD to run them.

I tried using the T-7, and the C1 mining lasers didn't seem to cut it. 2 were too slow, but the PD couldn't power much more than that.

The T-7, Clipper and Python are all excellent mid-size (ignoring pad size) choices for mining.

For what it's worth, my personal preference is the Clipper. The speed and agility is nice for prospecting, and escaping pirates if you lose connection in the ring.

Originally Posted by Gunnet View Post (Source)
    The T-7, Clipper and Python are all excellent mid-size (ignoring pad size) choices for mining.

For what it's worth, my personal preference is the Clipper. The speed and agility is nice for prospecting, and escaping pirates if you lose connection in the ring.
    Disadvantage with the Clipper is that you are denied access to outstations, but usually that isn't a biggie.

Have you got the Fed rank for a Dropship?

Python if you can afford it.

I use three med lasers, 2x 5d and 2x 3d controllers for 10 active limpets, a 4A refinery and a 1A prospector.

That would be right around 80 mil for an unarmed version.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    Pro miner arrives, throws utter curveball.

Python is definitely the best for the money.

T-9 is a great miner, too, though more expensive.

I use both of mine (engineered) for Low and Medium RES mining with no difficulties.

...aaaand, I didn't finish reading your post. Yeah, Dropship and T-7 are good upgrades. The only drawback (for me) on the T-7 is the small mining lasers.

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    Python if you can afford it.

I use three med lasers, 2x 5d and 2x 3d controllers for 10 active limpets, a 4A refinery and a 1A prospector.

That would be right around 80 mil for an unarmed version.
    You could do the same configuration with a Dropship for 25 million, with weapons but no shields.

Python, just as everybody says. Type 9 or Anaconda if you have the credits. Corvetter or Cutter if you have both rank and credits for them. If you're short on Credits then and ASP Explorer would be good.

Fer de Lance of course!

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    .. the Narn drops a truth bomb again.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast