Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best mining ship for the money...?

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    So only a 64t cargo bay?
    It's a matter of why you mine. If you're going for profit, 64t bay is totally fine if you can collect the fragments faster. Mining profit isn't about bringing in a big load, it's an equation that also factors in how long you spent getting it, among other things. A 256t bay will leave you with less profit over time than 64t, if it takes over 4 times longer to fill it.

Mining for fun is a totally different thing though.

Originally Posted by BarFly View Post (Source)
    Hello,

Just different play style. I'm a bit on the slow side - almost 64 Years old.
    There is another reason for my outfit - if i have more cargo space, i can stay out longer and have fewer flights incl. the landing procedure, which is also time consuming.
    But i'm thinking about your idea. I'm going to give that a try and test this outfit
    https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyth...G2SEcIFA%3D%3D
    Yeah agreed, it's all about playstyle - that's the beauty of the game really, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to go about something like mining, you just need to decide how to build your ship to give you the experience you're looking for. In view of what you said your priorities are I like that build you're going to try, it should suit you well. It's a nice compromise between mine and the one you said you were using. Hope it works well for you.

Funnily enough in view of what I said about mining in a T-9, if you have credits to throw around you might want to consider it if you're looking to maximise your haul from each trip and don't mind being out there for a while. You can do 9 x collectors, a class 1 prospector and 384 tons of cargo space (which will take about a week to fill...) or for something more efficient 11 x collectors (!) and 260 tons of cargo with a class 3 prospector.

They cost between 180m - 190m or so assuming a top-spec power plant, distributor and thrusters but the last one in particular is basically strip mining. Like I said, flying a T-9 around asteroid fields isn't really for me but if you don't mind a slower pace it could be worth a look.

Originally Posted by cometcruiser View Post (Source)
    I have never found a role for multiple prospectors. I suppose you might find a use when looking for a single type of commodity. So you can look at mare than one roid at a time. But yea it would be intensive do worl that way. Your right that a single prospector makes the most sense.
    I use a class 3 simply because I can fire two off at my next two targets as I approach the rock I've just prospected to start mining it. Firing two new ones off kills the prospector on the rock you're about to shoot but it doesn't matter because it stays prospected - you still get the extra fragments regardless of whether the prospector is actually active at the time you're mining. I usually target two rocks 'behind' the one I'm about to shoot so as soon as I've done I can just target them in the HUD (not from the contacts list) and if one is any good I'm immediately heading towards it whilst firing my next two. If your collectors are working slightly behind your lasers, you might well have time to check out the two you fired whilst they're picking up the last fragments and if they're both crap, fire two more off.

If you're only looking for a single commodity, especially something relatively rare like platinum or painite, in my opinion you're probably better off just shooting each rock to pop one chunk off and seeing what it is. If it has what you're looking for, then fire a prospector to get the double fragments. What tends to kill you when looking fora single resource is actually the fact that your collectors have a lot of dead time between finds, couple that with firing off 20 or more prospectors just to find one rock that has what you need and you're out of limpets in no time. I know I've fired off over 100 prospectors before now and only found something like 3 rocks with painite - do that and you're going home with 15 tons and the rest of your hold empty which is a waste of time.

Like I said above though, there's no right or wrong to it.

Just to see how it would work I fitted an Orca for mining - I must say I was quite surprised what it could do! I think I had over 100t of cargo space, 2 x class 2 mining lasers, and still had a class 3C gimballed laser for defence! I think I had 6 collectors going with that. Decent shield and an FSD engineered up to about 33ly's!

A laid back mining ship I'd like would have 8/4/4/3/3/1 slots and a single medium hardpoint. It should accelerate and rotate in every direction equally fast. Does not need to go very fast, it just needs to get there quick and stop quick, perfect for hopping along the asteroids. Medium pad, looking like a mix between a T-6 and a Babylon 5 earth fighter with a cargo silo attached to its backside.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    A Python easily manages 128 tons of cargo, 9-10 active collectors plus shields. With an engineered distributor, it can easily power 3 medium mining lasers.
    But why? Three mining lasers means a bunch of stuff just floats away. You mine out the asteroid and lose a percentage of what you mined because it just floats away. In my corvett I can run 12 total collector limpets and one laser knocks off as much as they can collect. I use 2 lasers just to get the limpets all moving but if I continue firing 2 lasers a bunch of ore just floats away. o7

Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    I just can't stand flying it around asteroid fields. I did rebuild mine from a trader to a miner after getting my Cutter just because I was trying to find a reason to keep it and positioning it to get a nice stream of fragments aimed where they need to go is just awful, the T-9 treats control inputs as suggestions.
    Find the point of rotation of the rock (this is true for any ship, but still) locate the point about which the rock is spinning -- they appear to tumble but it's really just rotation around a single axis -- then locate the lowest 'point' of that rotation. If you mine whilst the rock is essentially spinning like a top, and you target the lowest point of the 'spinning top', the chunks will neatly drop out and clear, directly below you. Limpets then have the most expedient path to collect chunks, and thus collect rapidly.

Once you get a handle on that, limpets can keep up with one or even two medium lasers just fine (noting that only one laser actually mines; the rest essentially act like a stat boost and speed up the process).

Type-9 is a dream FA-Off though; wading through rocks is a good time though, I only enable FA-On again to hover for collection; the rest of the time, the cow is FA-Off and it's great.

--

I am hoping type-10 has good internals; it may be the first 'type' from lakon that can actually be self-sufficient and mine in resource extraction sites, with enough firepower to knock pesker ore hunters out.

Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    Find the point of rotation (this is true for any ship, but still) locate the point about which the rock is spinning -- they appear to tumble but it's really just rotation around a single axis -- then locate the lowest 'point' of that rotation. If you mine whilst the rock is essentially spinning like a top, the chunks will neatly drop out and clear, directly below you. Limpets then have the most expedient path to collect chunks, and thus collect rapidly.

Type-9 is a dream FA-Off though; I only enable FA-On again to hover for collection, the rest of the time, the cow is FA-Off and it's great.
    Yeah that's exactly how I do it in my Python mate, I'm just saying that FA on or FA off I just can't stand maneuvering the T-9 to that point (or indeed any point) to begin with.

I like the T-9, that's the worst of it. It has bags of character. I's just that I'd rather hacksaw my hands off than fly it in asteroid fields. It's not even that I can't do it, I just don't want to. Each to their own.

Originally Posted by JetsonRING View Post (Source)
    But why? Three mining lasers means a bunch of stuff just floats away. You mine out the asteroid and lose a percentage of what you mined because it just floats away. In my corvett I can run 12 total collector limpets and one laser knocks off as much as they can collect. I use 2 lasers just to get the limpets all moving but if I continue firing 2 lasers a bunch of ore just floats away. o7
    As far as I'm aware I have literally never had a fragment 'just float away' to the point that I actually lost it. I have no idea what is happening if that happens to you with two lasers. I did use to use three and it never happened then either.

Hello,

There is another reason for my outfit - if i have more cargo space, i can stay out longer and have fewer flights incl. the landing procedure, which is also time consuming.
    But i'm thinking about your idea. I'm going to give that a try and test this outfit
    May I take a moment of your time, to introduce type-9? It's a good ride. Not very fast, but it's a brick (has more base armour than anaconda) the view for mining is insane, the cargo scoop is optimal for mining and it's really self-sufficient.

> Helga is my mining ship, and it's a beaut. Has grade 5 FSD range increase, clean thrusters and charge enhanced distro (endless boosting!). I carry a fuel scoop so I can mine in systems that may not have a station, but if there is one, I'll store the scoop and toss another class 3 collector in to speed up chunk collection.

Why helga? Allow me to provide the inspiration. Robin Coleman - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Coleman - who featured as 'Helga' from the hilariously weird TV series 'Gladiators'.

If you use a 5A shield instead of the 6C biweave, you'll have the same amount of shield strength and add another 32 tons of cargo space. the downside is your shields won't regenerate quite as fast.

When you can afford it, upgrading to a Type-9 or an Anaconda might suit you even more. Neither handle as well as a Python, but they can have much more cargo space.

Originally Posted by kofeyh View Post (Source)
    Why helga? Allow me to provide the inspiration. Robin Coleman - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Coleman - who featured as 'Helga' from the hilariously weird TV series 'Gladiators'.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120208075955
    Mine is called Rosie. If you can't work it out, I'm sure someone else will.

They just come off in a stream, and more quickly than two.
    Try different angles.

If we're talking bang for buck, nothing​ beats the Type 7.

Well, after spending far too many hours playing with ship builds, I finally decided... That I'm sticking with the Python, lol. I'm a casual miner, not too worried about efficiency and speed (I'm sure that will come if I do enough of it, though). With all the configurations I tried, the only ship where I didn't have to compromise something I wanted was with the Python. I settled on pretty much this build.

Now to go and find 500 bromellite.

Though I do now have a dedicated mining Python, rather than just swapping out modules. Good excuse to clear out my module storage and attach things to a ship!

In the right position, you only need one active collector per WEP megawatt. That Python build has that covered.

Normally I'd rather have my fingernails ripped out by a pair or rusty pliers than mine but when absolutely forced to (for engineering purposes) I use a Python.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast