Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is on your TRADING wish list?

Question What is on your TRADING wish list?

They said they are going to "Tweak" trading to be a little more useful for us. I hope they are going to make it MUCH MORE useful! They certainly didn't mention a complete overhaul or revamp. So all of your suggestions should be realistically possible. Almost all of the trading upgrades will really be UI changes and queries for data. It should not be very hard to do at all.

In the future age of computers we can fly around the galaxy so there is no reason why we should not have the ability to build massive trade databases in game. I know my wish list is huge and 95% of it won't be in there but all of it is completely doable and has been done in other games.

My Wish List

1) A "Trading Computer" similar to when you click on "engineers" or "galaxy map" where it takes you to a UI interface INSIDE YOUR SHIP. This gives us so much to do while we are flying, on the ground etc. This UI would not have "live" data but historical data you've downloaded at your last stop at a dock. If you are docked you would have local live data for the system you are in. This trading UI will have:
    a) Graphs / Trends / Historical data
    b) A local map or list of nearby systems within 100LY (or more) breaking down the economy, and its faction's states (Famine etc)
    c) Ability to granularly delve into each system to get the last known pricing.
    d) Ability to PIN commodities and stations to "compare" with others for profit/loss
    e) Timestamps of the most recent information - and if docked the ability to purchase updated pricing at nearby stations - available at a cost.

2) Actual trading would continue to be done in the commodity market - the Trading Computer would simply be for research. However the Trading Computer would have the ability to xfer purchase orders and sale orders to the commodity market.

3) All the features you'd find in something like EDDB - Single route finders, Multi Hop finders. All very easily done in a ship based GUI.

4) Galactic or regional "emergency supplies needed" alerts. AKA Trading "hot spots" similar to community goals. These would pay much higher, require specific amounts of goods that will pop up throughout dozens of stations around the galaxy. These hot spots would be listed in the Trading Computer by distance and requirement.

5) Brokerage missions - You put your # of cargo slots, your destination and post a job wanted. The Commodity broker will find a job for you. Example - I'm taking passengers to Lembava but I have 128 Cargo free. There are no missions to take cargo there, there are no profitable products that want to go there. You post 128T of cargo available to haul (Legal or Illegal) to Lembava and wait. A timer is set and there is a random chance someone will spot you going there and require their goods to be xferred for a price. This is a way of "filling up" your ship.

6) Add some crazy difficult to find 2-5% chance of huge home runs. In other words keep these mini gold mines going. People call them exploits but I don't think they are. I believe in a free market you WILL HAVE GOLD RUSHES all around the galaxy that can last months until resources and supply/demand are met. Make an automated shifting of these really interesting runs. Make a unique run to a special faction who want fish and are willing to pay 2000% pricing. But the fish has to be from X planet. Call it a rich person who loves it so much they want to buy 1000 tonnes of it. You could creatively and procedurally write a bunch of easily repeatable stories with these unique runs. IE "Thurston Howell the Third has put out a call to pilots to bring him 1000 ton of Caviar from the shores of Lave Beach - deliver this for his party by tomorrow and you will be rewarded 25M".

n trucking when you are empty or partially empty it is called "deadheadding". Nobody likes to do that. It means you are not making money. We need to go to stations and 95% of the time have some commodity that needs to be moved profitably.

We as traders want the ability to have fun A) Searching for good paying jobs B) Having fun transporting the goods C) Being rewarded for delivering the goods multiple ways. Materials, faction, money.. D) Having a certain amount of risk can make it fun if wanted. This risk should only come in risky systems and outskirts of humanity.

A lot of what you are asking for exists in the Trade Computer extension, that is an overlay of your UI. Link in sig, but appreciate it is PC only.

As such (and as it is provided by someone FOC) it's unlikely to be implemented by FDev.

I would much rather see a more volatile market for prices, meaning finding routes is much more rewarding, and there is a reason to visit far away stations, outposts and places off the beaten track for better profits.

I'd also like to see a buying and selling black market that deals in contraband for better prices but at a much higher risk.

I do like your 4, 5 and 6.
    Ironman Pilot Ejection Table
    Trade Computer Extension

Roll of Honour:-
    CMDR Ethelred Unread. Harmless - Pioneer - Broker. T6 lost to Viper IV. There are old pilots, there are bold pilots...

Current CMDR
    Bongo Heracles. Mostly Harmless - Mostly Aimless - Peddler. Sidey > Freeagle > Hauler > Adder > Cobra

I don't want an overlay that requires installation, maintenance incompatibilities etc. I'm sure its good and I may even look into it (I think I did once but couldn't get it running because of the .net issues) but you can't beat an in game fully supported trade computer. They (FD)have access to the actual raw data. Systems like that require the mercy of other pilots to update the data. It is NEVER reliable and I've lost money many times. It'll also be VR friendly. Not a knock on the TCE or anything just that I would prefer not needing to use external webpages to play the game! This was not supposed to be spreadsheets in space!

Nobody gives a crap about trading? I wonder what % of people that play actually do trading as their profession? It must be low because they only mentioned small changes coming. Or most people are happy using exterior websites and exterior tools. Don't you people think it would be more convenient and more immersive if you did it all in game? Especially if you are a VR user!

Originally Posted by Colonel Kenney View Post (Source)
    Nobody gives a crap about trading? I wonder what % of people that play actually do trading as their profession? It must be low because they only mentioned small changes coming. Or most people are happy using exterior websites and exterior tools. Don't you people think it would be more convenient and more immersive if you did it all in game? Especially if you are a VR user!
    Only reason I use trade tools is for fetch missions. Everything else for system state trading is already in-game. Oculus Dash will also allow you to display apps/web pages whilst on the bridge in VRhttps://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...90-Oculus-Dash

Nice ideas though
    Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream...

I hope we will eventually get a more juicy depiction of trade goods with illustrations of what we are trading. FD had some interesting concept art.
    I think currently it is a bit too much spread sheet.

I would also like a much more interesting black market with an option to buy illegal stuff too.
    There is a lot of potential there I think.

I would also like to see arms dealing to become a thing on its own, with its own dangers and quirks and reputation.
    They could add more diverse weapon types and all kinds of shady stuff like having to exchange cargo with a client on the surface of a planet far from any outposts.
    I would love to become and feel like a true arms dealer in the Elite galaxy.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

I must say, I DO like the idea of ED deliberately, randomly, creating proper "gold rush" scenarios for short periods.

Perhaps it'd require a bit of "sim city" style mechanic operating within the BGS to create short-term events?
    Random planet suffers catastrophic hurricane damage. Profits from selling Emergency Shelters escalate wildly for a few days.
    Random planet has major technological problems as a result of computer virus. Profits from selling technology escalate wildly for a few days.
    Random planet discovers foods supplies are contaminated. Profits from selling foodstuffs escalate wildly for a few days.

Put these events onto the Galnet "tickertape" and leave it up to people to notice and take advantage of the situation.

All it'd take would be to have a bit of a "brainstorming" session to think of a couple of dozen situations which could apply to every type of planet, and provide potential profits of one sort or another and then write a bit of code that creates, say, a 0.1% chance (or whatever level of chance would be appropriate to create 4 or 5 of these things in the bubble at a time) of these things happening at any planet at any time.

Actual freighters.

Let's look at the Emma Maersk:
    Dimensions
    Length overall (LOA) 1302' 6" (397 m)
    Beam 183' 8" (56 m)
    Tonnage
    Gross 170,974 bt
    Cargo capacity 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 ft container)
    Net 55,396 nt
    Deadweight (DWT) 156,907 DWT
    Power 80,080 kW (109,000 hp) Engine: Wartsila 14RT-Flex96c plus 40,000 hp from five Caterpillar 8M32
    Speed more than 25.5 knots, Cruise Speed - 31 mi/h
    Crew The ship has accommodation for 30 people, though the normal crew is only 13.
    First Trip Sept. 08, 2006
    Construction cost US $145,000,000+
    Country of origin Denmark

Let's compare that to some of our ships:
    Ship Dimensions (in metres)
    Ship Length Width Height
    Adder 31.5 28.8 9.6
    Anaconda 152.4 61.8 31.0
    Asp 56.5 51.3 19.7
    Cobra 27.1 44.0 7.9
    Eagle 31.2 29.7 7.1
    Federal Dropship 73.9 52.3 21.7
    Fer de Lance 73.6 51.6 15.4
    Hauler 28.6 26.2 10.4
    Imperial Clipper 106.7 103.7 24.8
    Lakon Type 6 48.4 27.2 15.0
    Lakon Type 7 81.6 56.1 25.4
    Lakon Type 9 Heavy 117.4 115.3 33.2
    Orca 130.4 50.8 22.7
    Python 87.9 58.1 18.0

Now to be fair, the Emma Maersk is considered a "super-freighter" but we're not even anywhere close to matching the capacity - The maximum gross mass for dry cargo TEU is 52,910 lb: 47,770 lb (net load) + 5,140 lb (empty container weight). A 400-ton capacity Type-9 is barely over 15 TEU. Even the beloved Imperial Cutter at 700 tons is just a bit over 26 TEU. That 's NOT freight. That's Fed-Ex.
    The Emma Maersk would have an Elite Cargo Capacity of 793,650,000 tons. Now THAT's freight.

Now clearly that much cargo would just be ridiculous - I've seen CG's complete with far less total contribution, but a good middle ground would be fantastic. I fear even the Panther Clipper will feel like a tandem box-truck in comparison to what cargo ships hold.

Even the Edmond Fitzgerald held 39,632 ton of cargo when she sank.

Length:
    • 729 ft (222 m)
    • 711 ft (217 m)
    Beam: 75 ft (23 m)
    Draft: 25 ft (7.6 m) typical
    Depth: 39 ft (12 m)

Something to the tune of 2000 - 5000 tons of cargo would finally feel like an actual Freighter. I'm sure someone can figure out how to cram that into half the dimensions of the Edmond Fitzgerald, so it can fit on a large pad.

My biggest complaint is that... for the most part Imperial Slaves is the most profitable per ton, so therefore why would anyone solely trade anything else? Don't know how this can be fixed, but I like the idea of certain "missions" paying extra for ordinary commodities. Kinda like how if you want something NOW rather than LATER, you would pay extra for the shipping cost.

Granted, we kinda have that now with the delivery missions, but you just get the reward for delivering them. I want "extra" profit instead with the reward PLUS the profit of selling the deliverables. But, knowing how so many people get rump hurt over "making too much money", it will probably never happen.
    Recruitment is OPEN to our new PC arm of the Federal Privateers! Private Message for more information or visit our Steam Page.

Low rankings due to transfer from Xbox to PC.

Federal Privateers' PC Community Leader

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Actual freighters.

Something to the tune of 2000 - 5000 tons of cargo would finally feel like an actual Freighter. I'm sure someone can figure out how to cram that into half the dimensions of the Edmond Fitzgerald, so it can fit on a large pad.
    Bulk freighters in ED are the ingame equivalent to Super freighters. If you look at the mass and freight tonnage of the bigger ED cargo ships, they are all very similar to current dedicated air freighters like the 747-800F/ An-225, although the upper limit of air freight tonnage is around 250 tonnes.

These ships are more like beefed up cargo aircraft, not super tankers.

5) Brokerage missions - You put your # of cargo slots, your destination and post a job wanted.
    This is a neat idea and would be great for passenger missions too.

You say where you're planning (or willing) to go, and what kind of cabins you have, and people make offers to buy tickets. If you have a specialty passenger ship, you'd get more business/higher rates.

Many good suggestions here.

My must have improvement is a much, much better way to source stuff. I want a UI where i select a commodity, a ship, a module, and get a list of locations sorted by distance where i can get this.

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    Only reason I use trade tools is for fetch missions. Everything else for system state trading is already in-game. Oculus Dash will also allow you to display apps/web pages whilst on the bridge in VRhttps://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...90-Oculus-Dash

Nice ideas though
    There anything that works with the vive? I'm planning on buying one next year.

There anything that works with the vive? I'm planning on buying one next year.
    I think there is some beta software, best to check the VR forum. Fairly certain Vive will come up with something to rival Oculus Dash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast