Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Frontier is really capable to truly change the face of the planets in 2018?

Benesec you are right about Enceladus, but don't forget that Pluto is a whole different animal:

Having recently played Zelda on the Switch, I think that the kind of concepts that FD show can be achieved technically. Zelda has absolutely fantastic surface texturing and variety in terrain. Yes, this isn't procedural, but at the surface detailing level that doesn't really matter.

There were some concept screenshots floating around on these forms years ago that showed what the surface texturing could be like using a slightly different rendering technique - the difference was astounding. I think FD need to go over the surface geometry generation with a fine tooth comb. There needs to me more small-scale variation, as well as more large scale variation. Add the new rock scattering tech, and some improved texturing, and I think we'll be close to the concepts.

I think the current tech also fails with the largest craters - the ones that usually have rays. These don't look at all realistic. Improving these should be a point of focus.

Worst of all, the tech is missing a key component to generate super-large features. These are things that don't seem to be possible currently:

* luna maria (the characteristic large dark areas on our moon, that are large, relatively smooth area.
    * realistic mountain chains - mountains are currently mainly just isolate lumps, instead of chains
    * major valleys - features like the Mariner Valley on Mars
    * polar ice caps - you sometimes find these (rarely, they used to be more common) and when you do it's just a change in surface colouration. Really these should be physically different surfaces.
    * large areas of surface colour variation - though it looks like they are reverting this back to how it used to look when it worked relatively well

Something that does work well at the moment are the canyons - yay! Please FD, work on similar 'feature' tech for the kind of features mentioned above.

If I were managing the team who are responsible for the surface tech, I'd have the walls plastered with images from Cassini and New Horizons and many other space missions. And that would be the target. I should be able to put an image from ED up on that wall it it not look out of place.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    Maybe Zac could organise a stream from the devs working on this when the time is right. Would be interesting to hear about it, even if they dumb it down for luddites like myself
    Absolutey this ^^^

I really love those early streams prior to the launch of Horizons where they talked about Stellar Forge and plate tectonics and stuff. Don't do a "Horizon" (TV series, no pun intended) and dumb it down either, just let those planetary surface dev's talk about what they're doing in real depth - 30% of it will go right over my head and the rest will be absolutely fascinating.

I actually like that some planets are barren and boring and some have canyons and are very adventurous. In a game like Elite I really prefer more realism instead of overly dramatic landscapes everywhere. The concept art shows a place which exists on some planet, but if a planet looks like that everywhere that wouldn't be so nice either. Space is an empty and barren place with spots of absolutely magnificent views and dangers, and that's exactly the way Elite should be for me.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    Maybe Zac could organise a stream from the devs working on this when the time is right. Would be interesting to hear about it, even if they dumb it down for luddites like myself
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Absolutey this ^^^

I really love those early streams prior to the launch of Horizons where they talked about Stellar Forge and plate tectonics and stuff. Don't do a "Horizon" (TV series, no pun intended) and dumb it down either, just let those planetary surface dev's talk about what they're doing in real depth - 30% of it will go right over my head and the rest will be absolutely fascinating.
    Yes, this.

Absolutey this ^^^

Absolutey this this ^^^

Those streams were really interesting, and had a good focus so you could get some detail on how stuff worked.

edit: ninja this'ed

Thirded or fourthed about stream

Put Gregory and co at the front of camera when they have time to spill the beans about improvements. Planetary tech video was awesome watch.

Just wanted to balance the rather poor examples of what we have now with some better examples from the "Planet Showcase" thread ...

The difference between art and reality made me LOL hard.Ouchie, FD.

Originally Posted by Toumal View Post (Source)
    Benesec you are right about Enceladus, but don't forget that Pluto is a whole different animal:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...=post&id=37873
    Poor Pluto! always being left out!

Just wanted to balance the rather poor examples of what we have now with some better examples from the "Planet Showcase" thread ...
    Uh, where is this "planet showcase" thread you speak of?

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Uh, where is this "planet showcase" thread you speak of?
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...eally-proud-of

Originally Posted by Bondrewd The Novel View Post (Source)
    RESERVED FOR NEWS

NEWS #1

CMDR Mengy found a little detail from the video released by the Frontier during the EXPO2017 presentation of the work team of ED... in that tiny pic we can assume to see what is the result of the use of new technology for the generation of the rocks and surface of the planets.

https://i.imgur.com/HVLSxzt.jpg

here is the link to the video from which this picture comes ... everything can be seen around the video time 4:27: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MYu...utu.be&t=4m27s
    I put here also a full preview (go manually to time 4:27):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MYu...utu.be&t=4m27s
    That's interesting... If that was concept art, I don't understand why it would seemingly have program generated diagnostic information on it, which there seems to be bottom left? (eg: akin to FPS and network usage we're all used to)

HOWEVER, all this aside. It's would be lovely if planets were drastically improved surface wise... But we just need more of a reason to be near/on that surface IMHO.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast