Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Frontier is really capable to truly change the face of the planets in 2018?

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Uh, where is this "planet showcase" thread you speak of?
    As babelfish has said.

Sadly it's got a lot of non-planet stuff in it these days. Other good screenshot threads ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...90-Screenie(s)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ography-Thread

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-Selfie-Thread

Haven't done one for a while but I used to grab screenshots from those occasionally and compile them into a slideshow video. Here's a couple (which also feature some nice planet surfaces in amongst all the other stuff).

Originally Posted by Bondrewd The Novel View Post (Source)

what we have from 2 years until today 12/10/2017
    https://i.imgur.com/peo1IRL.jpg https://i.imgur.com/hisekdE.jpg

let's all take a good breath
    Ok I always LOVE dropping down to planets and moons. But with the image comparison there it is a little disheartening. However, the fact that is it now in the headlights to be developed is promising at least.

I'm going with my usual answer to most things, bandwidth
    If this was an offline, single player game, I guess FD would have implemented a whole load of incredible graphics, yes they can do it, they're more than capable, look at some of their other work.

As it is, everything has to load and sync with servers, for multiple people, at once.
    Assets might be local but that's only part of what makes up the overall game. As things improve, code gets refined, tech progresses, then they'll be able to squeeze more in, so what they are suggesting now as their goal is probably more realistic than it was two years ago. I've got faith that they'll deliver something that will considerably improve on what we have now (and to be honest, sometimes what we have now can look pretty spectacular as it is, we just need more of it).

I surely hope they deliver such planet surfaces.
    Better brace for dissapointment.
    I know it sounds bleak but fd hasnt impressed me since 2.0 dropped.
    And oh how can i forget fx17 failure IMHO

Originally Posted by zarking View Post (Source)
    I'm going with my usual answer to most things, bandwidth
    If this was an offline, single player game, I guess FD would have implemented a whole load of incredible graphics, yes they can do it, they're more than capable, look at some of their other work.

As it is, everything has to load and sync with servers, for multiple people, at once.
    Assets might be local but that's only part of what makes up the overall game. As things improve, code gets refined, tech progresses, then they'll be able to squeeze more in, so what they are suggesting now as their goal is probably more realistic than it was two years ago. I've got faith that they'll deliver something that will considerably improve on what we have now (and to be honest, sometimes what we have now can look pretty spectacular as it is, we just need more of it).
    I'm not convinced this is pertinent to surface details. As I understand it (and it's been a long time since FD spoke about this stuff) Stellar Forge runs in the client code to procedurally generate the galaxy, your current system and the surface of the planet you're on. It doesn't need to drag data from the server about the arrangement, structure and composition of the planets, it just generates them all on the fly using your current co-ordinates as a pseudo random number generator seed.

Well, my first question is, can they achieve this on the consoles? I've lost a lot of faith in Frontier's understanding of PS4 development - they are by no means masters of this relatively new platform (for them).

That leads to the next question - would Frontier provide radically different planet models on different platforms? In other words, if they can achieve the artistic render on the PC but not the PS4, would they hold back the PC until they figure it out on the PS4? Or might they even postpone it until the PS5?

Personally, I hope they do not try to force parity between consoles and PCs. All I ask is that they give me the quality I know the PS4 is capable of (something they are currently not doing). But my jaw should drop when I see ED on a $2000 USD gaming PC - it should look amazingly better than my $250 PS4. I just don't know if that's Frontier's position...

Of course if they can pull off that artistic rendering in-game on the consoles, I'll be happy, happy, happy!!!!

Without getting to technicaly.
    With the current planet generation technic (tiled heightmaps), it will be impossible (!) to create such realtisticly terrain, let alone steep cliffes, overhangs or even caves.

I have a feeling the new 'terrain', will actually just be more types of rocks.

Which is fine, really. But I would like crevices and such to fall in to.

I'd also like the SRVs cab to be swivelled 180°, because it drives better in reverse.
    And if we do get crevices in which to fall, I'd rather not fall in them because my SRV span out randomly. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Originally Posted by Kylisse View Post (Source)
    I don't think the question is whether they can do that. They could, if they wanted to.

Can they do it without destroying performance? It's an open question. I think some trade-offs will inevitably be made, but it's good to set the bar high.
    This is what graphics settings are for, IMO.

Think I'll probably be alright with 1080p Ultra and 60 FPS using VSync on my 3+ year old rig...

We'll see though.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I'm not convinced this is pertinent to surface details. As I understand it (and it's been a long time since FD spoke about this stuff) Stellar Forge runs in the client code to procedurally generate the galaxy, your current system and the surface of the planet you're on. It doesn't need to drag data from the server about the arrangement, structure and composition of the planets, it just generates them all on the fly using your current co-ordinates as a pseudo random number generator seed.
    How do you explain it when 2 prople in a wing drive on the same place in their RV.
    If the generation os client based, 2 people wouldn't see the same surface.

Originally Posted by huehnerfaust View Post (Source)
    With the current planet generation technic (tiled heightmaps), it will be impossible (!) to create such realtisticly terrain, let alone steep cliffes, overhangs or even caves.
    Right, which is why they are overhauling everything.

Originally Posted by ALGOMATIC View Post (Source)
    How do you explain it when 2 prople in a wing drive on the same place in their RV.
    If the generation os client based, 2 people wouldn't see the same surface.
    That's the beauty of pseudo random number sequences ... given the same seed, although the distribution of numbers is random, the actual sequence will be identical every time.

Let's pretend you and me both land on planet 42. Go here ..

http://stattrek.com/statistics/rando...generator.aspx

.. set "how many random numbers?" to 50 and the optional Seed to 42. Now hit calculate. Now open my SPOILER.

27197 77985 12290 10463 39160 73630 63864 36871 12764 91544 73210 57762 53459 98622 45227 93275 42767 93701 46079 99900 55164 11871 70021 29614 90650 53130 17052 82418 49227 17478 87173 35549 21840 08852 96585 85041 74217 64116 54736 46077 38140 30924 24430 18658 13607 09278 05670 02784 00619 99176

TADA!

Magic.

Originally Posted by huehnerfaust View Post (Source)

Caves could in theory be done the same way as buildings, create a model and place it, much like the thargoid/guardian tunnels that have been discovered.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast