Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those looking at joining in DWE II

For those looking at joining in DWE II

I penned this during DWE as some people started to struggle with the journey that we were undertaking, and I'd like to share it again with those who are joining (or thinking of) DWEII. It's worth thinking about the commitment the journey will require of you, but the rewards are most definitely worth it:

For all those travelling out with Distant Worlds

I'd like to pen a few words about people's reactions to Distant Worlds and the struggle some are having with the journey. I can see many posts about how hard they're finding it, how it's hard to find the time / motivation / dedication and so on...

There are a few of us who have been out further than here before and I for one *know* you've not seen the best yet, not really experienced what it means to be 10s of thousands of light years away from the bubble.

There's going to come a moment when you cross a threshold on this journey, you are going to suddenly feel the gulf; you do not feel it at SagA* or anywhere in the core. You really do not, it's just too busy. *That* feeling, that moment is when the journey will come alive; the moment it does and you look at the system map to see all the green icons all around you? That's going to be a very special moment.

I took multiple screen shots of the Galaxy when the gulf hit me because it is a genuinely profound moment, I'm slightly jealous of the ones who get to feel it for the first time; and you will.

Look: persevere.... keep going, keep heading out - the meeting at Beagle Point is going to be momentous but it's going to be shared. There will be an amazing and very personal moment that this game serves up for you, and you alone. Keep going and look for this moment, look at the Galaxy, look how far everything is and realise you did this. I genuinely felt the space around me; and I know the imagination of all the people who make it that far will as well.

Good luck everyone - keep looking out.

I'm enthralled by the enthusiasm being shown by people now, but we did lose some commanders due to the scale of journey becoming more and more apparent as time went on. I can't stress enough though: sticking with the fleet will be its own reward and you *will* have moments in the game that will make every jump there and back worthwhile.
    There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.

Yes! There's a point where you look back, maybe a few K beyond Sag A* and the realism really bites. You have committed time and energy to the journey, it becomes a real journey and there are no shortcuts. This alone makes it worthwhile the but then there are the sights you will see and be part of

Originally Posted by Traveller_GG View Post (Source)
    I penned during DWE as some people started to struggle with the journey that we were undertaking, and I'd like to share it again with those who are joining (or thinking of) DWEII. It's worth thinking about the commitment the journey will require of you, but the rewards are most definitely worth it:

I'm enthralled by the enthusiasm being shown by people now, but we did lose some commanders due to the scale of journey becoming more and more apparent as time went on. I can't stress enough though: sticking with the fleet will be its own reward and you *will* have moments in the game that will make every jump there and back worthwhile.
    I remember a post where you talked about feeling the Bubble umbilical cord snap. And I had that moment 3/4 of the way there. At some point I realized I didn't care about the return journey and just was in the moment. And it actually felt quite different than before, turning back not an option.
    edit: found the post It seems I made up the umbilical part edit 2: looking at the date, that can't be the post

After the Abyss Erimus suggested going the last leg alone in Solo. To really get a sense of what you were doing and solitude. Because crossing the abyss was quite challenging, backtracking many times, I really did have a feeling that I crossed some bridge. It was all quite Zen-like. This was also the reason I didn't take part in many of the games on Beagle Point 2. I went to 3, found an elaborate misty crater with canyons running through it, and spent a couple of days there. I felt like a Galactic Buddha.

So yeah. Listen to Traveller. Traveller is wise.
    Sits like a man, smiles like a reptile
    CMDR Alad Insane - Exploratory Plonker - Boldy faffing where no man has faffed before

I would also invite them people to read the words of DWE travellers after reaching Beagle Point, on the Endeavour poster (click for full size!)

I would rep you for that wonderful poster but you didn't quote me, so I'm not. I'm not bitter.

"This is fine"

-CMDR Shellström

Didn't quote me either And I remember saying something really witty at some point.

#fakeposter!
    CMDR Alad Insane - Exploratory Plonker - Boldy faffing where no man has faffed before

Inspirational stuff. This is the thing I fear about DWE2 but also the thing that excites me about it at the same time. Fear is a powerful word to use about a game ... and that's why I like it.

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

I did holler at all the people in the FleetComm server, accepted submissions for two weeks, and all submissions I got are on the poster, so... you probably missed it!

Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    I did holler at all the people in the FleetComm server, accepted submissions for two weeks, and all submissions I got are on the poster, so... you probably missed it!
    Serves me right!

I'll be on the second poster, you'll see!
    (you can quote me on that)

Haha

I intend to take a supersampled screenshot of 300 of us at Sagittarius A* for a DWE2 poster, make sure you're there

The most special moment I have ever had in this game came about in Distant Worlds. I was driving my SRV around on Darwin's Legacy (the basecamp world at Beagle Point), just trying to reach some mountains that I saw. I was about 15 minutes out from the basecamp, so it was pretty isolated. Suddenly a wing of ships streaked overhead, just having fun, and it struck me. Here I was, 65,000 light years from the bubble in what was once considered the most remote place anyone could reach in the game. I should have by all rights been alone here. Felt alone here. But I wasn't. I was part of a community. A tribe of long-distance explorers who had all, like me, dedicated months of their spare time to fly across the galaxy for the sheer joy of it. My people.

"I have loved the stars too fiercely to be fearful of the night"
    Explorer with the FGE and member of the Colonia Citizens Network.
    Avoid crashing! Easy landings with one control remapping!

Originally Posted by Satsuma View Post (Source)
    The most special moment I have ever had in this game came about in Distant Worlds. I was driving my SRV around on Darwin's Legacy (the basecamp world at Beagle Point), just trying to reach some mountains that I saw. I was about 15 minutes out from the basecamp, so it was pretty isolated. Suddenly a wing of ships streaked overhead, just having fun, and it struck me. Here I was, 65,000 light years from the bubble in what was once considered the most remote place anyone could reach in the game. I should have by all rights been alone here. Felt alone here. But I wasn't. I was part of a community. A tribe of long-distance explorers who had all, like me, dedicated months of their spare time to fly across the galaxy for the sheer joy of it. My people.
    I remember something similar... Driving towards a distant mountain at Beagle Point when a wing of ships flew overhead.... not *quite* so magnificent as they were trying to find and shoot me

I damn' near papped me pants!

I think this is an excellent thread because it celebrates those amazing experiences we all had passing that 'umbilical cord' (great phrase!) and also foreshadows what is to come.

Originally Posted by Traveller_GG View Post (Source)
    I penned this during DWE as some people started to struggle with the journey that we were undertaking, and I'd like to share it again with those who are joining (or thinking of) DWEII. It's worth thinking about the commitment the journey will require of you, but the rewards are most definitely worth it:

See, this is unique in Elite, to give these kind of thoughts. You actually feel the distance and isolation.
    To be honest, I define myself rather a traveller than an explorer. I don't go to these places to study and map, rather to enjoy remoteness and the scenery as it slowly passes by.

IRL this is one of my favourite moments, I guess it explains a lot.
    CMDR Mr Crown Vic P71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast