Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Livestream - Reflecting on Frontier Expo and Let's Play - tonight (12/10) at 7PM BST

Ed just experienced why so many people don't enjoy open. lol

Delta Squadron security does not extend to PS4

Hype for Beyond and premium content
    http://files.enjin.com/1115404/SignatureGenerator/CustomBanners/DeltaSquadBanner15b-StevieG-650x150.png

DELTA SQUADRON
    Discord Voice Comms: http://discord.gg/tAUJv8x
    Website - WWW.DELTASQUAD.CO.UK/RECRUITMENT

No Bourbons. I'm a sad Flimley.

Flimley

Originally Posted by akaliel View Post (Source)
    A sad but predictable confirmation of the state of play

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    A sad but predictable confirmation of the state of play
    I hope Sandro take notes for C&P here, because we need consequences badly
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Missed this last night unfortunately (honey extraction day don't you know). So I'm 'sweet' for another few months but will try to catch up with today some time. I've managed to watch the Jack Horner talk from the Expo, still interested to know if Frontier will be able to post some of the stage talks though. Stay frosty.

I liked how excited Ed was for the exploration update. Seems to be a genuine overhaul.

Gah! Missed it (was too busy reading my face off with Premonition).

The clarification on no P2W rubbish was welcome. Ed needs a Rocky montage cutaway livestream when he becomes the PvP masta he was born to be!

Originally Posted by zimms View Post (Source)
    I liked how excited Ed was for the exploration update. Seems to be a genuine overhaul.
    Many people are excited for exploration development.

However, to answer Ed's concern about why more people don't seem excited about it, like he ponders here in the livestream last night:

Bit more of an emphasis on Exploration changes on yesterday's livestream

Ed, there are several reasons why the reaction hasn't been greater:

1. Codex - While it sounds like a nice feature, it's not really what the community has been clamoring for over the last three years, so it kind of came out of nowhere.
    2. A lack of details - While an "exploration overhaul" sounds great and is sorely needed, there weren't any details about it at the Expo. We don't know how Frontier plans to overhaul it or what is planned to be improved or added. While it's very nice to hear that exploration development is finally going to happen, it's very hard to get excited for something that is still fairly secretive.
    3. The Timeframe - Many people really expected the exploration improvements to come right after 2.4, meaning early in 2018 instead of at the end of 2018. So while it's nice to hear that it is actually happening, it's still over a year away, meaning explorers still have over a year to suffer the anemic game mechanics we have had since 1.0. The timeframe is unfortunately disappointing. Still great to hear that it's actually happening, but sad that it will take so long, we've been waiting for so very, very long.

Although I would say that the reaction, even with the above notes, has been pretty strong and positive. You need only read through the Distant Worlds II runaway train of a thread to notice people's excitement. Over 500 signups in two days for a trip without any details, and a lot of the excitement is for the exploration changes coming at the end of 2018.

So Ed, can we look forward to hearing more details on the exploration overhaul sometime soon?

Originally Posted by akaliel View Post (Source)
    More like he's reaping what he sowed.

For a long time Ed and his guests have been saying "Oooh! I am playing in Open. This is fun!" when being ganked for the n'th time. Well, you get what you ask for when you don't try to deter the activity when it starts.

You do a great job Ed, but that you didn't see this coming; that's on nobody but yourself I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)

However, to answer Ed's concern about why more people don't seem excited about it, like he ponders here in the livestream last night:

1. Codex - While it sounds like a nice feature, it's not really what the community has been clamoring for over the last three years, so it kind of came out of nowhere.
    2. A lack of details - While an "exploration overhaul" sounds great and is sorely needed, there weren't any details about it at the Expo. We don't know how Frontier plans to overhaul it or what is planned to be improved or added. While it's very nice to hear that exploration development is finally going to happen, it's very hard to get excited for something that is still fairly secretive.
    3. The Timeframe - Many people really expected the exploration improvements to come right after 2.4, meaning early in 2018 instead of at the end of 2018. So while it's nice to hear that it is actually happening, it's still over a year away, meaning explorers still have over a year to suffer the anemic game mechanics we have had since 1.0. The timeframe is unfortunately disappointing. Still great to hear that it's actually happening, but sad that it will take so long, we've been waiting for so very, very long.

Although I would say that the reaction, even with the above notes, has been pretty strong and positive. You need only read through the Distant Worlds II runaway train of a thread to notice people's excitement. Over 500 signups in two days for a trip without any details, and a lot of the excitement is for the exploration changes coming at the end of 2018.

So Ed, can we look forward to hearing more details on the exploration overhaul sometime soon?
    Further to this ... what (many) people wanted from exploration was stuff about new scanners and scanning techniques, new ways to map planet surfaces, new modules, basically a whole pile of new things to do and ways to interact with the process of being an explorer. The sort of stuff that was mocked up years ago over here ..

A-year-worth-of-Elite-photoshop-concepts!

.. and discussed in huge detail here ..

Suggestion-Exploration-Development-a-Galaxy-of-Possibilities

.. here ..

Hey-Frontier-is-it-just-me-or-do-you-get-the-sense-that-exploration-needs-some-love

.. here ..

Evidence-for-Exploration-Mechanics

.. and here ..

Explorers-wishlist-for-2-4-and-beyond

to name a few (seriously, there's hundreds of these threads).

What we got was something about a Codex, something about new unspecified galactic phenomena, improvements to the graphics (e.g. lighting and planet surfaces, which is great but not really the problem apart from the "beige plague" which is a relatively recent and minor issue compared to those with the core exploration mechanics discussed in the threads listed above) and a bunch of general promises that exploration was being re-visited.

Sorry Ed but you really shouldn't be surprised, great tho what you announced was, if the reaction from the exploration cummunity was not entirely euphoric.

Edit: this isn't to say that what you've got planned isn't going to be amazing but simply to explain the reaction based on what was actually revealed.

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    I hope Sandro take notes for C&P here, because we need consequences badly
    ....again, though, not just for PvP.....PvE too. When I break laws on behalf of my faction (seriously, Alioth Independents, since when did you want innocent people killed?!?!) I want to know that there will be longer & farther reaching consequences than is currently the case.

Maybe being ganked was the most intense 10 minutes of play he has experienced. The look of concentration on his face whilst fighting the interdiction, with the knowledge that 2nd time there will be no escape if the interdiction is lost...and the emotions after destruction.

Ed should thank the ganker for adding meaning to his game (more so than NPCs 'let me see what cargo you are carrying'...'next time load up on gold'...bye).
    MrSpoonsi - The Code

The fact they tied exploration in with mission improvements suggests we may finally be getting more peristence in USS's & PoI's......along with more skill based methods for tracking them down. I too, though, am disappointed that these changes are being delayed to Q4. A staged release across the whole year would have been better IMHO.

RW here:

1. I think many players asked for many things in exploration, but most of them was how to do stuff mechanically, but not how to make it meaningful experience in long term gameplay. Currently both aspects of exploration as kinda meh. So Codex seems to be answer to 'WHY' question for exploring. Not only credits, fame or nice screenshots. They can still fall flat with this - this sound quite complicated what they are trying do, does not mean they will succeed - but it sounds way better than current reason of exploring. It sounds like making exploring a profession instead of side activity;
    2. Time - I don't think exploration coming in Q1 would be good news. That would mean that cosmetic changes only applied. Both exploration and mining needs big overhaul so I suspect that's why they are in latter updates;

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    The fact they tied exploration in with mission improvements suggests we may finally be getting more peristence in USS's & PoI's......along with more skill based methods for tracking them down. I too, though, am disappointed that these changes are being delayed to Q4. A staged release across the whole year would have been better IMHO.
    Staged release would really be repeating all Horizon mistakes. They should make it work and then release it.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast