Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would be willing to PAY for ships?

Wink Who would be willing to PAY for ships?

This is a sticky topic. I know right off the bat the type of people who hang here on the forums are purist and are resistant to anything that involves anyone actually having an advantage. They demand balance in all aspects of the game mainly because of PVP. There are points to it all but there is a silent majority of people who are part of Mobius etc who don't care and just want to play the game how we want to play and have fun.

Many other games are doing it (World of Warships, Star Citizen etc) and it does not break any form of immersion for me. I actually did buy a ship in WOW and (Graf Spee) and it isn't any better or worse than other tier ships. When I play others it doesn't give me any sort of advantage. It is balanced. I'm enjoying the ship and I didn't need to grind for it. Basically I was playing the game quite a bit and enjoying it so much FOR FREE that I wanted to give them money somehow but also get something in return. So this was a way I gave them money.

As a lifetime expansion holder I never need to pay FD another dime. Some of the cosmetic stuff doesn't excite me much. BUT if I could buy a custom ship I may consider it as a way of "donating" more money to them.

If FD hired more people specifically to pump out ships they will make enough money to get them also to start designing the interiors as well so when we have space legs we'll be able to move about in our ships.

Why not take all the existing ships and make variants on them? Have them come with pre-engineered modules, wing packs, cosmetic packs and such.

All of these purchasable ships should also be purchasable in game with credits as well. (without the cosmetics etc).

So lets pretend I'm a new player. I have a sidewinder and a small amount of credits. I buy an Anaconda. Well .. I still can't make money as I don't have the credits to buy a "rebuy" or fit it properly. I'd still need to work on earning ranks and earning money to continue to maintain the ship. Lets just say when you buy a ship you get an option for 10 free rebuys but after that you need to pay in game credits. Anyone knows if you restart you can get wealthy enough to get up to an anaconda in a few weeks anyway. So who cares?

How would a system like this work in ED?

My only restriction would be that any ship requiring military rank would not be purchasable.

Let the flamewar begin.

Edit - this will summarize my view. This is such a heated debate. I was just trying to get to the root of the problem that is the considered "pay to win" attitude. I really disagree that buying ships would be pay to win because you still need to learn your ship, get skills.

If buying ships is pay to win - then BUYING VR HOTAS and BIG COMPUTERS with BIG MONITORS is also pay to win.

1) I was against ship buying.
    2) I had good experiences recently and found out it can be done without harming the game at all
    3) Nobody has presented any tangible game based reason why it would break the game yet
    4) People have stated they'll ragequit if they start selling ships.
    5) I'm trying to find the underlying reason why they want to ragequit to see if there is a compromise or something that would allow them to accept the situation.
    6) I'm hoping they'll (FD) get additional revenue coming in and maybe it'll accelerate the development process? Isn't that what we all want?
    7) I want to give them money on something useful. Not just cosmetics.

Players are already paying for the Beluga and Dolphin.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    This.

In response to OP, if reasonably priced, say 5e for a small ship, 10e for a medium and 15e for a big one, or less, yes, I would buy ships, I would even buy them if they were just body variants of the same ships we currently have, same internal layouts, etc, but different bodies, cockpits and critically, hard point locations.
    Who the hell are you? I called for the lord of flatulence, not one of his discharges. - John Constantine

Originally Posted by Colonel Kenney View Post (Source)
    It wouldn't, and so it's not in Elite Dangerous.

Doesn't matter how other games have done or is doing, you've got to set the rules in the beginning and then follow.
    Retracting from this will cause major uproar. Just look at the AX Missiles, now that is a minuscule thing to compare buy-able ships.

I already pay for ships with the time I invest in the game earning credits. Letting real-world money into the game at this stage will be its death knell, not because of game balance, but because FDev does not have the goodwill of enough of its players to pull it off.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    We bought Elite Dangerous. That had ships in it too. P2W. I'll get my pitchfork.

Bit of a non-issue really, FD have always said there will only be cosmetics in the store. (not including expansions like Horizons)

You know there are loads of people who are willing to buy a ship.
    If they are willing to buy a ton of cosmetics, why not a ship.
    Just look at SC.

I would be fine with it under one condition:

Everything that you can buy with real cash must also be optainable with in-game credits and there can never be cash only items (besides cosmetics) that give you an in-game advantage.

why are we paying for the beluga and dolphin? is that horizons only?

we also paid for the cobra mk.4 with this rare buy option. but the ship is not sooo perfect.

i mean, as long as the ships we buy are bad, it's not pay to win, is it?
    The only thing against you in Elite Dangerous, is time. - Brett C (Source)

Tools of the Trade (make the grind more effective)
    EDMC : Runs in the background and automatically puts market data into EDDB.
    EDDB : Searchable Database for Goods, Prices, Routes and all kinds of stuff.
    Coriolis : Configure your ships offline to check configurations.

Star Citizen ship sales are for early access. You will have to earn them in-game after release.

A separate topic would be purely cosmetic hulls. It has the stats of a Cobra Mk III. It has the same module slots as a Cobra Mk III. It has basically the same hitbox as a Cobra Mk III. But it is a Colonel Kenney Mk I.

However it is my understanding that the devs are not really in favour of hull reskins.
    . . . |\_/| . . .
    . . .>(o.o)<. . .
    . . . ( ¤ ),. . .
    . . . ^^ ^^ . . .
    The above is a 100% authentic furrycat post.
    Read with confidence wherever you see the cat symbol.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm, satire and traces of irony.

Originally Posted by wenkman View Post (Source)
    why are we paying for the beluga and dolphin? is that horizons only?
    Yes.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

If anything Pay 2 Win came to ED, other than expansions (which is more of away to encourage buying it), I wouldn't play in Open anymore.

I have no interest in trying to complete with someone who gains an advantage just by having a bigger wallet than me.

Besides, the entire point of ED is to earn your way up to the ships, if you can just hand over some real money and skip that, then what do you do?
    There's not much in the way of competitive PvP in ED to encourage needing anything Pay 2 Win anyway.

If you could buy access to this stuff in ED, but still have to earn it in game, that wouldn't be so bad. Probably.

I just hate all forms of Pay 2 Win.
    Cosmetics and expansions is where it should end.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Prepare yourselves for a spectacular bit of cognitive dissonance....

I'd probably be willing to pay for some ships, as long as there was something noteworthy about them.
    Trouble is, I'm also averse to the idea of "pay to win" so I'm not keen on the idea of people being able to buy ships that yield an advantage over "standard" ships.

That being the case, the only ships I'd actually be interested in buying would be ships that I wouldn't approve of FDev offering for sale.

Originally Posted by Colonel Kenney View Post (Source)
    This is a sticky topic. I know right off the bat the type of people who hang here on the forums are purist and are resistant to anything that involves anyone actually having an advantage. They demand balance in all aspects of the game mainly because of PVP. There are points to it all but there is a silent majority of people who are part of Mobius etc who don't care and just want to play the game how we want to play and have fun.

Many other games are doing it (World of Warships, Star Citizen etc) and it does not break any form of immersion for me. I actually did buy a ship in WOW and (Graf Spee) and it isn't any better or worse than other tier ships. When I play others it doesn't give me any sort of advantage. It is balanced. I'm enjoying the ship and I didn't need to grind for it. Basically I was playing the game quite a bit and enjoying it so much FOR FREE that I wanted to give them money somehow but also get something in return. So this was a way I gave them money.

As a lifetime expansion holder I never need to pay FD another dime. Some of the cosmetic stuff doesn't excite me much. BUT if I could buy a custom ship I may consider it as a way of "donating" more money to them.

If FD hired more people specifically to pump out ships they will make enough money to get them also to start designing the interiors as well so when we have space legs we'll be able to move about in our ships.

Why not take all the existing ships and make variants on them? Have them come with pre-engineered modules, wing packs, cosmetic packs and such.

All of these purchasable ships should also be purchasable in game with credits as well. (without the cosmetics etc).

So lets pretend I'm a new player. I have a sidewinder and a small amount of credits. I buy an Anaconda. Well .. I still can't make money as I don't have the credits to buy a "rebuy" or fit it properly. I'd still need to work on earning ranks and earning money to continue to maintain the ship. Lets just say when you buy a ship you get an option for 10 free rebuys but after that you need to pay in game credits. Anyone knows if you restart you can get wealthy enough to get up to an anaconda in a few weeks anyway. So who cares?

My only restriction would be that any ship requiring military rank would not be purchasable.

Let the flamewar begin.

I don't like that at all. I would never use shortcuts to get a ship myself.
    And if the mechanic were in the game it would feel cheap too me.
    It would give me nightmares about Elite becoming a second Star Citizen.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

If we take the Cobra MkIV & Beluga as current examples of 'premium' ships, I'd be happy enough for there to be a fee to pay in order to gain access to a ship in-game (ie i'd still have to buy it in-game).

If that ship offered some significant advantage in a PvP capacity (eg a FDL killer) that might be a problem but I think a PvE advantage like high jump range would be okay.

I'd really like to be able to gain access to ships like a Cobra MkI that look different & are cool, but functionally convey no advantage. I'd be happy for my hypothetical Cobra MkI to be functionally identical to a Viper MkIII for example.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast