• 01 - cleonymus - Another mystery

3 37.50%
  • 02 - Frank - Snowglobe

5 62.50%
  • 03 - phong - Frood grorious frood

0 0%
  • 04 - Futuristic Kung Fu - In the Rings

3 37.50%
  • 05 - RoyalHankey - Beware of shop keeper that bare rare gifts.

0 0%
  • 06 - Edith_The_Hutt - Snowball's Treasure

2 25.00%
  • 07 - IndigoWyrd - Loss

1 12.50%
  • 08 - Fletchmo - Major General Nocti’s Revenge

2 25.00%
  • 09 - Listeri69 - It burned like fire, This burning desire

1 12.50%
  • 10 - Cmdr Pseudonym - Ghonnacyphaherpalaids

1 12.50%
  • 11 - psykokow - Moofgoid

0 0%
  • 12 - Alien - Same Two Guys That I Wrote A Conversation About Two Weeks Ago

2 25.00%
  • 13 - insanephoton - Heart of Ice

2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Drabble Short Story Contest #221: Icy Ring

Drabble Short Story Contest #221: Icy Ring

This is a Drabble contest. Please vote for your favourite Drabble. Cleonymus won last week. Congratulations

His choice was "Icy Ring"

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm BST, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. Everyone is welcome to vote.
    And a plea to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself.
    Anyone caught voting for themselves will be met with an icy stare

13 entries on Friday the 13th? that's a little ominous

01 - cleonymus - Another mystery

The Asp floated silently in space.
    A keen observer could have glanced through the huge cabin window to see the two empty seats. The faint glow of navigation lights illuminated the deserted cabin, the access doors open, revealing the corridor to the escape pods.
    Anyone who had been here earlier would have seen the desperate maneuvering the ship had undertaken to reach the planets icy ring in an attempt to evade it's pursuer. The pilots last minutes too occupied to even summon assistance,
    The golden paintwork scarred with a bubbling green ooze.
    The occupied escape pods nowhere to be seen.

02 - Frank - Snowglobe

Colton recognised the ringtone. It was a call from the Iceteroid Confederation. A frosty voice on his ringphone told him that his stay at the research outpost was over.

He should be happy. He'd spent 6 months alone on a lump of floating ice with Crystal. But he wanted longer. He set his makerbot a task.

Colton left the hut to find Crystal outside sitting, shifting uncomfortably on an iceblock. As he approached he dropped onto one knee, holding aloft a ring made of pure diamond.

She giggled with delight and stared out the glass dome at the asteroid-filtered starlight.

03 - phong - Frood grorious frood

Moof tugged at the door to the freezer ,carefully removing the bowl of lightly battered onion rings he'd placed there some while before.Ever the professional,he gingerly placed one between his teeth,biting down gently but firmly,testing the amount of crackle necessary for the task ahead.Satisfied with the result he resumed his seat in the co-pilots chair , pulled the microphone close to his lips and began to chew methodically,listening for that special crunch that would totally ruin the mood his brother had somehow managed to contrive against all odds,whilst thinking of the popadums to come.

04 - Futuristic Kung Fu - In the Rings

Great boulders, floating through the void.
    Two hydrogens, one oxygen,
    Frozen.
    Light shining.
    Stained glass, all clear.
    Getting dark now.
    Shadow, planet is coming closer.
    Mauve lines cut through the endless black,
    Hit a wall that is of purest white.
    The hopeful, the old, in their dingy Arcs.
    Water, water everywhere,
    Yet the diamonds are nowhere.
    The Vultures wait.
    They circle, but there will be little bait.
    They don't belong,they will be gone.
    Star is back.
    Morning but no day.
    Parabolic, the light chases the dark around the curve.
    It's Cold. No air, just water.
    No water, just Ice.

05 - RoyalHankey - Beware of shop keeper that bare rare gifts.

Alien and Simoof went to Titon City near Saturn to get married.
    Simoof went and bought the wedding ring there.
    After spending several hours looking for a ring and eventually found one.
    It was beautiful but cold to touch.
    The shop keeper said "It is a new type of diamond found on the planet".
    Shop keeper said that will be 1m credit's please.
    Simoof handed over the credits.
    They both said their vows.
    After the reception they headed of to Earth for a Mediterranean Cruise.
    Security asked "Says here your married".
    Alien lifted her hand but, the ring had melted.

06 - Edith_The_Hutt - Snowball's Treasure

With the belt mined out they’d de-orbited the refinery and let it drift into the planetary rings where it would pose no danger to shipping. Slowly, over the years it had gathered snow and ice, growing from meagre outpost to shepherd moon, stabilising the gas giant’s outer halo.

The mining laser burned hard, drilling to the ice-moon’s core. Hand tools did the rest, venting the residual atmosphere and allowing the thieves access. Chunks of floor came away with their magboots as they carefully trudged to the strongroom.

Archon Delaine grinned at the abandoned canisters,

“Now we have a bargaining chip”

07 - IndigoWyrd - Loss

The funeral barge Eternity held its position. Friends and family had gathered to say a final farewell. Once an Imperial Slave, Naomi Lamb had bought her freedom as a fighter pilot. She had signed on for many hazardous assignments, and proven herself both a capable pilot and charming companion. She had no fear of pirates, privateers, or the free-range lunatics that threatened the space lanes. Nothing could have prepared her for this fate however.
    As her remains were consigned to the void, a whisper circulated among those gathered. It was a short, simple, yet chilling phrase: “The Thargoids have returned.”

08 - Fletchmo - Major General Nocti’s Revenge

The cunning (haha!) pirate gurgled a bloodcurdling scream as he watched his canopy crack and then blow out.
    He had expected little to no resistance with easy rich pickings at Hutton Orbital. He was banking on under armed space cows with cargo bays full of expensive mugs and gin.
    What he got though was a lesson from the truckers in how to defend a convoy!
    Alvin let out a howl of joy when he heard the pirates famous last words, followed by a massive explosion as the Code’s Anaconda took simultaneous hits from eight different angles…
    “I See Wings”

09 - Listeri69 - It burned like fire, This burning desire

'It's not what it looks like' Simoof panicked as he splashed the last of the Häagen-Dazs over his scrotumberries
    'Why are you teabagging the Ice cream?' Psykokow questioned.
    'It's that damn co-pilots chair ever since we had that Midden in here I've been scratching like a 90's DJ with parkinson's'
    'Doesn't explain you vanilaring ya nuts, if you stick a flake in, i'm not talking to you ever again'
    'I accidently used Voot hair removal instead of the anti-crab lotion, 5 mins later my nuts are like a class A star
    'Hence the ice-cream'
    'Hence the course set for iceteroids..'

10 - Cmdr Pseudonym - Ghonnacyphaherpalaids

'ghonnacyphaherpalaids'
    'What?'
    'ghonnacyphaherpalaids' said the nurse again. 'You've caught ghonnacyphaherpalaids. Have you been outside of Dongkum in the last 30 days'
    'Can't say I have'
    'hmm well everything has turned oozy and green, we can try the dongkum healing cream but it looks too far gone'
    'too far gone? what does this mean?'
    'it means that if it doesn't get patched, your willy will fall off, you must remain calm at all times, NO RAGE...'
    'oh i love patches!' said Skiprat 'I've heard a lot of good things about sunshine and rainbows coming my way' and he skipped off merrily

11 - psykokow - Moofgoid

Customs at Barnard’s Star had slipped since the shock arrival of the Hutton Truckers to the political scene… though the increase of mug trade pleased David greatly.
    Finn stared at the photo id card, and looked at the passenger, then the photo again.
    “yeah I probably think I should get that photo updated.. I’ve change a bit since then”
    “A bit?”
    “Gender mostly, yes but the form doesn’t suit my situation”
    “and Species” Finn pointed at the passenger’s extra limbs
    “aah yes… the passport forms don’t allow you to tick thargoid”
    Finns eye’s widened, “I see….”
    The red phone rang.

12 - Alien - Same Two Guys That I Wrote A Conversation About Two Weeks Ago Are Still Talking ....

I see rings
    You don't see rings, you hear them
    No not those rings, rings rings
    Who's there?
    Don't be silly, I see rings
    How many?
    Five
    Gold?
    No, don't be silly
    So you see rings?
    Yes they're moving into attack formation
    Wait ... how many???
    Five, I told you
    How many in each ring?
    Four
    So you see five WINGS of ships, and they're about to attack us
    No, they ARE attacking us
    Any damage?
    No engineering is fine ... BANG! ... wait we have a coolant leak
    A coolant leak?
    And some internal structural damage
    What do you see?
    Icy rings.

13 - insanephoton - Heart of Ice

No one goes to ice rings for the view. From a distance they just look like any other ring, inside they just look cold, The big money is in the diamonds. The way things work is that the miners collect the ice, pirates try to steal the ice and bounty hunters and security try to ice the pirates.
    Then there are people like me. Some call us opportunists, scavengers or vultures. That's just the polite terms, I've heard worse. No one likes us much, but we're a necessary evil. We clean up the messes where the other three trades interact.

You missed off the end of the title of my drabble.

I can't add the extra bit to the end of your poll option, but it actually looks neater like that.

I think I'll start chopping the end of infeasibly long titles to make the poll options look tidier from now on

Is there not a potato shaped drabble show this week? Kow's twitchstream (not a euphemism) is re-broadcasting a different channel??
    (confused of the forest)

The three mugs look good, but the left mug looks the most tactile. The centre mug looks too hot..... or is it too cold.

Of course everyone who watches the show feels a right mug.

C