Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Identical CGs, Five Identical Mistakes

Originally Posted by TartanDragon View Post (Source)
    Ah but this one has a surprise waiting for those that do collect the samples.

The outpost doesn't have a black market so you can't sell them.

Great uh?

What - really? What the freak, FD!

Originally Posted by Whitehair View Post (Source)
    Riiiiiiiiight. So these is the reason why we have these crappy 2T corrosive resistant cargo holds, from a CG for Palin to make make them?
    I never understood what's so complicated to Palin (Dr. Dr. Dr. rer nat) to glue two 2T CRCRs together to get a 4T module. It's a stupid Cargo Rack, not a Tachyon accellerator or something.
    With Thargoid stuff getting more important every day I still can not grasp the reasoning to still ride with measy 2T CRCRs through the dark. After all this time!

Also +Rep to OP
    @

Originally Posted by Dirk Brabeen View Post (Source)
    With Thargoid stuff getting more important every day I still can not grasp the reasoning to still ride with measy 2T CRCRs through the dark.
    I do believe that is because only the lowest tier of the CG for them was met. Same is happening for these new weapons.
    A new life awaits you in the offworld colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Ok, this is one of the few threads on here making a relevant point, and unfortunately this and the other 3 Aegis CG's are all extensions of the same problem :- narrative getting lost in a wall of rubbish, Aegis seems more like its the Engineers guild more than anything else, now we know why they want all those rare goods etc, theyre selling them on to get the money to fund themselves...

This CG is, as said just like the previous 3, a trade CG, and this is to involve new players, that is the sole excuse .... People like SDC want to make a difference to the game by plasyying and interracting with other players detrimentally, and its not working, everyone swaps to solo or private group, does a few runs, and thier part is complete. The only way to actually get the way these things to change would be to not take part at all.

These weapons will find a way out wether we do these or not, example being the Kahina CG - they killed Kahina in such a way that meant that the first book and everything that happened in it taught her absolutely nothing at all, so was basically a waste of time, and with her quick demise in the CG noone was bothered about the other 2 who made thier way to thier destination and completed the CG - giving us the hints to all of this, all we have to do is just wait, one thing or another will end up having these released if not then the thargoids wont have a need to adapt anymore .... we will just start on the future guardian weapons etc that they cant adapt to ....

The narrative improvements of next year will hopefully address this line of thinking, where great discoveries can be made by 1 pilot in the wilds of space, but then gets dropped into some form of trading or material/data juggling exercise.

I now play this game to look at the vista's of space, i join in CG's to make money, forwarding a "narrative" is an accidental side effect that cannot be helped at times ....

I'm going to add my agreement here as well. The sheer amount of effort necessary to get the Xeo materials is not, in any way, equal to the effort required for common commodities. Which in turn means the only reason to do the new content is curiosity or RP. Given how mercenary many players are, this'll lead to not very many people actually engaging with the thargoids.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    I'm going to add my agreement here as well. The sheer amount of effort necessary to get the Xeo materials is not, in any way, equal to the effort required for common commodities. Which in turn means the only reason to do the new content is curiosity or RP. Given how mercenary many players are, this'll lead to not very many people actually engaging with the thargoids.
    But it is their choice, isn't it?

It looks like FD wants to give player a choice here. Is that bad?
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)

Yes. It's horrible. They are wasting the content that took so much time to make (and they could do other things in this time).

Choice is fine.

Why does that choice have to forfeit any meaningful contribution to the CGs though?

That's what this CG design is doing. Your choices:

- Grind out a bunch of cargo trading and don't engage the new content at all, in order to see the CG succeed; or
    - Enjoy the new 2.4 content, and have no impact on the CG whatsoever

Originally Posted by relayer View Post (Source)
    I do believe that is because only the lowest tier of the CG for them was met. Same is happening for these new weapons.
    Yes, I know the CG wasn't a real success back then, but does that mean any advancements that could have been made by the protagonists in game, like Palin, now sit on their hands and say, "Meh. I created this wonderful thing that anyone will want to get. But it's only 2t. I could probably make more money if I just made a 4t version and simply quadruple the price. But, no, they need to be punished for eternity for shipping me not enough stuff I can put on my ice cream."
    Heck, he could even lore-wise outsource his development to Aegis or someone else to improve his design.

So why still punish the players? There is no ingame need, there is no outgame need, there is probably more than one good lore-wise explanation (probaby better than, gee, AX nerf because Thargoid so smart) and there is probably a need for larger cargo racks with the number of corrosive items increasing.

But that's OP, my apologies.
    @

Yes, I know the CG wasn't a real success back then, but does that mean any advancements that could have been made by the protagonists in game, like Palin, now sit on their hands and say, "Meh. I created this wonderful thing that anyone will want to get. But it's only 2t. I could probably make more money if I just made a 4t version and simply quadruple the price. But, no, they need to be punished for eternity for shipping me not enough stuff I can put on my ice cream."
    Heck, he could even lore-wise outsource his development to Aegis or someone else to improve his design.

So why still punish the players? There is no ingame need, there is no outgame need, there is probably more than one good lore-wise explanation (probaby better than, gee, AX nerf because Thargoid so smart) and there is probably a need for larger cargo racks with the number of corrosive items increasing.

But that's probably OP, my apologies.
    For what it's worth, the CRCR CG was the first time FD had done a trade-good CG that didn't use market-ready commodities (in this case, Meta-Alloys); however they kept the volumes the same as a market-ready goods trade CG.

I like the cargo rack situation. It shows that ignoring CGs can have lasting consequences. Which is good for the CGs.

Just imagine the cargo rack research project is closed and Palin research teams are now full time working on other things that are consuming all his resources.

+1 OP.

CG’s are FD emergent content and deep story telling.

edit : it has been years now we have exactly the same kind of CGs, whatever the background story. Aren t you sick of it ?

Originally Posted by Jmanis View Post (Source)
    Choice is fine.

Why does that choice have to forfeit any meaningful contribution to the CGs though?

That's what this CG design is doing. Your choices:

- Grind out a bunch of cargo trading and don't engage the new content at all, in order to see the CG succeed; or
    - Enjoy the new 2.4 content, and have no impact on the CG whatsoever
    That's rather cynical and myoptian view on things isn't it? I can try to rattle Thargoids with taking their samples AND then return and contribute to CG with goods too. You can do both things.

As someone with less time I would take on Thargoids even I most likely won't survive.

It is still a choice. If people grind game, FD should not force them to change their ways. It is also their choice to engage or not.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Originally Posted by Valorin View Post (Source)
    Also, while writing that post you could have made a cargo run and participate. Just sayin'.
    I could have too, but I won't for the same reason as Jmanis. FD can do much better than this. When they put some effort in they always do
    WANTED CRIMINAL Limoncello Lizard
    CAPITAL CRIMES Loitering, Onion Head Smuggling, Overdue Library Book
    CRIMINAL ASSOCIATES Borasetani Syndicate, Brotherhood of Terra Matter, Chapter of Isinor, Conservatives of Tiliala, Crom Silver Boys, Defence Party of Nastrond, Dukes of Jotun, Gilya Law Party, HIP 118311 Posse, Hodack Prison, LTT 198 Order, Luyten 347-14 Prison, Peregrina Aristocrats, Pi Mensae Brotherhood, Sacra Oculus, Sirius Corp, Sublime Order of Van Maanen's Star

Originally Posted by Dirk Brabeen View Post (Source)

But that's OP, my apologies.
    Players made a choice. People wanted consequences. It is quite funny to read posts when FD does that. Because people don't want consequences, they want illusion of that. They still will moan when it is convenient for them.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    I could have too, but I won't for the same reason as Jmanis. FD can do much better than this. When they put some effort in they always do
    FD won't make decision for you to engage. You choose not to. That's your choice not FD.
    Peteris Krisjanis

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Players made a choice. People wanted consequences. It is quite funny to read posts when FD does that. Because people don't want consequences, they want illusion of that. They still will moan when it is convenient for them.
    I think there are consequences and consequences.
    For me the consequences have to be believable to make me feel engaged and to create the necessary suspension for commanders to participate in CGs.

For example if the consequence of a failed CG is that irreversible thing happen, like e.g. a station or planet is nuked by the Thargoids and therefore not usable anymore, or a certain important person dies ingame, then, yes, it is plausible to assume a failed CG has a long-lasting effect. Much later it is still possible, if the lore or the story needs it, to add a new CG to build a new station or have a different character continue where the deceased left off. That would be natural and believable.

Other CGs that fail or complete badly, let's just take the CRCR CG, also should have a effect, a consequence, and I'm fine with it. But what does it mean when not enough MA have been transported to Palin? Maybe a slow production start, or higher prices, or something like that. Something believable.
    And how does the story associated with this failed CG continue? Was it fatal, like a lost station or important person? I think not. What I would find believable I have pointed out above, like it taking longer to get larger racks, or a very steep price. Is it believable there will never be any larger CRCRs when the demand for such technology is steeply on the rise with Thargoids appearing and the amount of corrosive stuff increasing? Economic would say the demand for these would set things in motion, lore-wise Palin would also make a fortune, financing his researchs, when he or his teams created larger CRCRs or gives the blueprints to someone else to improve upon them; and other stations selling these; that would be believable.

Larger CRCRs or other stations that sell those would also make it possible to create purely Thargoid-only-stuff-CGs, as more corrosive stuff could be transported by commanders.
    Someone without a CRCR would and could never participate in any of these otherwise, for example.
    @

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast