Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thargoids adapting ... shut down attack

Thargoids adapting ... shut down attack

Having battled many Thargoids (post AX nerf) I have seen them adapt. They are now more maneuverable, especially when nearing a heart exertion. They also seem to be a bit more apt to attack first after being Xeno scanned. However, today’s battle lent credence to the likely need for the new CGs item- likely a defense item based on the CG description.
    After a wingmate and I had destroyed 3 hearts we moved in for the final heart when the ‘Goid hit us with a green blast which completely shut down our entire ship ... no power at all ... much like the very first hyperdictions cut scene experiences ... after a long while power returned and we resumed our engagement when we were hit with a second blast which again completely shut down BOTH of our ships - and we were 11km apart— when power was restored the 2 nd time the Thargoid was gone ... be aware... their adaption continues.

Please let us know if any out there have experienced similar. This is not the semi immobilizing “yellow” lightning attack ... this was a green wave- like attack that shut our ships completely off — akin to the original hyperdictions.

Edit: Having battled over a dozen ‘Goids up to this point none had used this attack in a NHSS ... after having this encounter we entered another NHSS and were able to eliminate a Thargoid without this disabling attack occurring.

They learned how to run and when to cut their losses, it seems?

They have been using the shut down attacks since the first combats have they not

Since I am terrible at fighting them, it might be you have been defeating them before they decide to use it

Originally Posted by GluttonyFang View Post (Source)
    They learned how to run and when to cut their losses, it seems?
    This is perhaps the reality and it was a rough reality to knock it down to a final heart and then boom, we were shut down, TWICE, and it then it was gone.

It does seem that these beings/ships do have potential “personality” differences in terms of aggressiveness and use of their myriad weapons...but that could also just be my own speculation. They have definitely ramped up their speed and maneuvering tactics... and the swarm seems “potentially” more damaging/aggressive. An SLF (or multiples) are still the best deterrent for thargon swarm IMHO unless you can rally a dedicated Flak Cannoneer .

Be safe. Carry an AFMU for your canopy. Utilize wings... soloing is extremely difficult at this time due to Ammo limitation and the combo of bleed through and caustic / explosive damage.

Originally Posted by Vasious View Post (Source)
    They have been using the shut down attacks since the first combats have they not

Since I am terrible at fighting them, it might be you have been defeating them before they decide to use it
    For sure it has been used!
    But Interesting as I, personally, had never experienced the use of the “green blast wave” which caused a complete shut down INSIDE a Non Human Signal Source until today (that being somewhere outside of a hyper-diction OR barnacle area instance) ... But that also lends potential credence to there being differing types of Cyclops with possible differing capabilities? Again this could be pure conjecture, but I am just trying to establish hard and fast information, with in game factual and repeatable observations by us!
    More research and input from our collective pilots need be shared.

Any interested ... feel free to friend me in game (CMDR Warflower) and we can share in the research and experience .

Fly safe

Originally Posted by Warflower View Post (Source)
    This is perhaps the reality and it was a rough reality to knock it down to a final heart and then boom, we were shut down, TWICE, and it then it was gone.

It does seem that these beings/ships do have potential “personality” differences in terms of aggressiveness and use of their myriad weapons...but that could also just be my own speculation. They have definitely ramped up their speed and maneuvering tactics... and the swarm seems “potentially” more damaging/aggressive. An SLF (or multiples) are still the best deterrent for thargon swarm IMHO unless you can rally a dedicated Flak Cannoneer .
    Yes they definitely *seem* to very in their behaviour. Of course, there could be different triggers provoking responses but they certainly aren't all equal. I dont' think these are simple drones.

Having battled many Thargoids (post AX nerf) I have seen them adapt. They are now more maneuverable, especially when nearing a heart exertion. They also seem to be a bit more apt to attack first after being Xeno scanned. However, today’s battle lent credence to the likely need for the new CGs item- likely a defense item based on the CG description.
    After a wingmate and I had destroyed 3 hearts we moved in for the final heart when the ‘Goid hit us with a green blast which completely shut down our entire ship ... no power at all ... much like the very first hyperdictions cut scene experiences ... after a long while power returned and we resumed our engagement when we were hit with a second blast which again completely shut down BOTH of our ships - and we were 11km apart— when power was restored the 2 nd time the Thargoid was gone ... be aware... their adaption continues.

Please let us know if any out there have experienced similar. This is not the semi immobilizing “yellow” lightning attack ... this was a green wave- like attack that shut our ships completely off — akin to the original hyperdictions.

Edit: Having battled over a dozen ‘Goids up to this point none had used this attack in a NHSS ... after having this encounter we entered another NHSS and were able to eliminate a Thargoid without this disabling attack occurring.

The shut down wave (I normally refer to it as the "EMP shock" with my friends) have been happening since day one after we got the first AX weapons. However what you are describing is the Thargoid using it as a mean of escape, which is a really new thing! That's very interesting.

It's a shame the EMP doesn't switch off shields

Originally Posted by M. Volgrand View Post (Source)
    However what you are describing is the Thargoid using it as a mean of escape, which is a really new thing!
    I don't think it's related to EMP. Goids wake out if players go too far away (about 8km). Has happened to me many times.

Originally Posted by Xargo View Post (Source)
    I don't think it's related to EMP. Goids wake out if players go too far away (about 8km). Has happened to me many times.
    When they hyperdict you, yes....but I haven't seen that behaviour in a NHSS before. A Thargoid chased me down from 18km away today after my ship launched fighter died.

Originally Posted by Xargo View Post (Source)
    Yes. I have had a Goid leave an NHSS instance when we got too far away -- this was not what happened in the episode I am describing. During that time, and I dont remember the exact distance but it was >8Km, we lost it on our Scanners and finally it was just gone. However, in the instance I am describing, the Goid was near enough to two of us that we both got hit by the 'Disabling Greenish Blast Wave' (for lack of a better term or description) TWICE...after I my power was restored the second time the Thargoid was just gone --- nursing its final heart? Maybe. I will post more with any new details I uncover.

Of Note: We did encounter and destroy another Thargoid after the described occurrence with No repeat of the immobilizing green blast.

However, in the instance I am describing, the Goid was near enough to two of us that we both got hit by the 'Disabling Greenish Blast Wave' (for lack of a better term or description) TWICE...after I my power was restored the second time the Thargoid was just gone --- nursing its final heart? Maybe. I will post more with any new details I uncover.
    Interesting. Did you have particularly cool ships? I'm trying to figure out if Thargoids target lock via heat or something else.

The trailer showed the AX Missiles and a defense against the shutdown attack... But i have yet to see this defense... Is it out yet?

Originally Posted by simulacrae View Post (Source)
    The trailer showed the AX Missiles and a defense against the shutdown attack... But i have yet to see this defense... Is it out yet?
    Current CG isnt it?

Originally Posted by Elvira Martuuk
    The Thargoids' ability to disable our ships is one of their most formidable weapons. For the past few weeks I've been working on a device that I hope will protect human vessels from the Thargoids' immobilising field.

Aahhhh thanks ... Im not keeping up with everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast