View Poll Results: Pick three of these stories

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Listeri69 - McThargoids Noir, with a side of McTentacles

6 60.00%
  • 02 - Cmdr Pseudonym - I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

2 20.00%
  • 03 - Fletchmo - Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

3 30.00%
  • 04 - Frank - The Hard Sell

2 20.00%
  • 05 - Phong - How do you like your eggs?

3 30.00%
  • 06 - EdithTheHutt - Change of plan

4 40.00%
  • 07 - Alien - Mmmm, that IS a tasty burger.

3 30.00%
  • 08 - Galactic Midden - Two Two Fly, Crash Bang Before My Eye

3 30.00%
  • 09 - RoyalHankey - Can't I ever not get interdicted writing this generated drabble

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Drabble Short Story Contest #222: Film Noir

Drabble Short Story Contest #222: Film Noir

Howdy stranger. Pull up a barstool. Have a cigarette. It's okay. In this introduction to the Drabble Contest only the villains smoke, and everyone smokes.

The piano player's vamping soft jazz on the grand piano, crooning to the dames who think his interest in them is more than just about them filling his tips jar.

The surroundings are not stark black and white. With all the cigarette smoke <cough> everything's more of a grey area.

My choice of topic this week is "Film Noir"

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm BST, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. Everyone is welcome to vote.
    And a plea to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself.
    Anyone caught voting for themselves are gonna get what's comin' to them, see!

01 - Listeri69 - McThargoids Noir, with a side of McTentacles

I was working on a tip 'McThargoids in Barnard's star', Real thargoid was still illegal around these parts...
    'I'll take some fries' I enquired, playing it cool
    'Would you like fries with that?' She looked dead with a face like she'd been bobbing for fries
    'You know where a man can get some real Thargoid 'round here?'
    Silence...she was hiding something, and i saw it dripping...
    'I couldn't help notice, you have.....Green ooze on your apron'
    'Real Thargoid burger?' She rubbed her fingers together, '700 credits, meet me out back....ALONE...'
    But I wasn't alone, Some'thing' glowed red, looking for revenge.....

02 - Cmdr Pseudonym - I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Cmdr Skiprat finished off the leftovers from his last panamanian petting zoo
    Sucking on a particularly chocolate covered nut, he pondered about all the people he'd lost over the years.
    Maybe they were right, passenger missions weren't meant for him.
    He'd noticed passengers were a lot like children, once you start stealing them, you get a bad reputation.
    Sure plenty had been put to good use in the sausage grinders of Winnard's hole, but he could no longer get the premium passenger they required.
    His cunning plan? Illegal thermal paste...
    Searching the passenger lounge, he warmed up his right hand....

03 - Fletchmo - Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

What a beautiful (and dangerous) galaxy we occupy.
    I’ve seen things you wouldn’t believe… Some I want to remember and some I can never unsee, no matter how much Lavian Brandy I consume.
    Watching black holes silently consuming binary systems.
    Nebulas being born from the death throws of white dwarfs.
    Fifty Federal battle cruisers destroyed in less than a minute by the most awesome array of savagery I’ve ever witnessed from seven VERY angry 7 leafed Thargoid attack ships spewing Tharglings like a fireworks display.
    Did I capture any of it on video? Nope – Only memories…
    Film – Naaaaah!

04 - Frank - The Hard Sell

I'd hoped waving a blaster in Sam's face would illicit more of a response. His reaction was reticence, not defiance. Maybe I could persuade him. "That dame did us both over good. She set you up as a patsy before she even picked your name out of the phonebook. She'll be hundreds of light years away by now with the plans clutched in those dainty little fingers of hers. Would you care to tell me where she's heading?"

Sam casually looked down at the blaster. "Go pull the trigger. It wouldn't be the worst thing that happened to me today."

05 - Phong - How do you like your eggs?

The hiss of rain hitting the plascrete was drowned out by the thunderclap,
    the low rumble of the storm's passing dying away slowly with a dyspeptic grumble.
    The click-clack of heels on linoleum in the corridor,followed by the rattle of the handle as the door opened and she stood sillhouetted in the doorway.
    'Hello,Phillip.'
    'Pull up a chair,doll.I've been expecting you.'
    I poured janx into the empty glass and refilled my own.
    I knew this was going to be a tough conversation,and the compact flechette aimed at my heart suggested that she knew it too.

06 - EdithTheHutt - Change of plan

Whatever coffee substitute they were putting in the local recyc it wasn’t working. I leaned against a crate and tried to look nonchalant, just another tired dock worker on a smoke break his boss didn’t know about.

Lazlo’s goons weren’t hired for their brains, they marched straight for the painite and started breaking open the container. I stepped from the shadows, laser pistol covering them both.

“Change of plan boys,” I waved them to the corner and went to inspect the goods.

A cold, hard pistol pushed into the small of my back

“Sorry boss,” she whispered, “change of plan”

07 - Alien - Mmmm, that IS a tasty burger.

"In Al-Din Prospect you can buy a beer in a holo theatre. In Jacque's you can buy a beer in McThargoid's. Also, you know what they call a Newton with cheese in Jacque's?"

"They don't call it a Newton with cheese?"

"No, they got the Imperial system there, they wouldn't know what a Newton is."

"What'd they call it?"

"Phlegm Noir with sneeze."

"Phlegm Noir with sneeze. What'd they call a Big Tharg?"

"Big Tharg's a Big Tharg, but they call it Lle Big Tharg"

"What do they call a Womper?"

"I don't know, I didn't go into Booger King."

08 - Galactic Midden - Two Two Fly, Crash Bang Before My Eye

A time upon the once Jarv Barthomley Blathom did as most explorers would do when confronted with a sight as arousing as this. Two worlds, so alien, so beautiful were merging right before his eyes.

Auras intertwined, their atmospheres mixed as a dance of ages ended in coupling embrace, passionate eruptions sending ejecta high into the exosphere. No human had ever witnessed such incredible grinding of stellar bodies.

Jarv switched on his selfie cam and maneuvered his Asp into shot. Sweat soaked his forehead as heat levels climaxed alarmingly. Too close! Fatally embarrassed, he ended the film with no ire.

09 - RoyalHankey - Can't I ever not get interdicted writing this generated drabble

"It's time for briskly jumping!" whispered the goblin that lives on my fingers.

I looked at the Film; it had a ruddy Clothing and a haircut mouths. I loved Emporer. I loved Grandpa. I did not want to take the Film from them. Emporer, especially, loved the hair.

I examined the enchanted record. I studied the brown kettle, which ended like a pretty snake.

I remembered hitting fondly at the goblin's will and knew I would comply again.

The sleet made me tremble like grand surface.

The Video is uploading... no idea what copyright awaits in the dark to strike..

Kow, you look different this week.

----------

EDIT: I realise watching it back just how much I touch my nose.

Well done Simon!

What's the topic this week?

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbTAgql18pc

The Video is uploading... no idea what copyright awaits in the dark to strike..
    None. Twitch muted the playing of Mindwipe's song for Flossy, and you grabbed it from Twitch.

Nobody told me I won lol

Anyway after the week i've had and all the various balls

This weeks topic will be

UPHEAVAL