Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Handling Fleet Carriers in 2018 - Fleet Carrier Concept

Originally Posted by andrak View Post (Source)
    Instead of being critical of Frontier, I'm offering a detailed concept, with mock up images, on how I'd like FD to implement fleet carriers in 2018. As said in the video, this is my opinion, what I want to see and I'm not claiming I speak for everybody.

Mods, I'd appreciate it very much if you could please let this run for a while in dangerous discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arhWcrGSp8

The concept covers:
    • Outfitting
    • Module Attachments
    • Storage
    • NPC Crew Positions
    • Squadron Goals
    • Squadron Missions
    • Carrier Damage and Consequence
    • Carrier Relocation
    • Livery

I'd like to address the following issues:
    • Content, challenge, reward for end game players
    • Material, data, credit and time sinks
    • Player storage limits
    • Player custom home bases of operations
    • Conveniences and costs associated with them
    • Keeping players of different skill levels and play times together

Hopefully this sparks some more ideas and debate and it would be interesting to see what others think.

Thanks go to CMDR Ashelai and CMDR Porky McBacon for their input.
    Great ideas, but sadly as a soloist I will most likely never get to use such a carrier.

Two ideas:

1. It would be great for soloists like me if we could sign up with an NPC carrier.

2. I would also like to see true Imperial, Federal, and Alliance designs. That would add very much to the experience.

Originally Posted by Dommarraa View Post (Source)
    Seeing as they have announced it, I guess they have a pretty good idea how they are going to do it already.
    Just setting yourself up to be disappointed
    That was exactly my first thought too.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, I really hope, and expect that carrier's services/docking/whatever will be restricted to med ships at best.

Originally Posted by EUS View Post (Source)
    One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, I really hope, and expect that carrier's services/docking/whatever will be restricted to med ships at best.
    Large ships can already dock at megaships though...

Originally Posted by Achibot View Post (Source)
    No offense, but aren't you missing the primary point of the entire video? That each group can customise their base, to suit their own playstyle (not just your one) and then only have to maintain that base in the form that is most useful to them? Presumably having a truly maxed out base would be a process of many months, trillions of credits, thousands of player-hours and cost a significant fraction of the Imperial Household Budget to maintain. Want less, it costs less in time and effort, the point is everyone can build what they want.

What you are suggesting, I would not even build. It's just a PvP base, who cares? Now I'm not saying PVP bases are bad, clearly you want one and I'm sure it would offer a lot of value for those whose main interest is PvP. But I would seriously question the wisdom of designing something that only some fraction of the playerbase would have interest in.
    I do think carriers will be customizable in some way, but I don't think they will have modules to add a commodities market, black market, or or cartographics and so on. They won't just be player built starports as we know them is what I mean. Also, I wrote that this is what I expect carriers to be, not what I want them to be. I don't like PVP, never done it really. I just mean, I think they will mostly be a place to dock your ship and store things, not a player built starport.

What I would like to see carriers have
    - Advanced cartographics that isn't a place to sell data, but actually a module that helps you explore the galaxy
    - Mining module that has a huge refinery and specialized scanning equipment to find resources
    - Production module that lets you turn raw materials into commodities
    - Trading module that can be used to sell goods that you've mined and produced to players and NPC's

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now, but basically anything that adds new types of gameplay I think would be really awesome. I don't really want to build my own starport is really what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by andrak View Post (Source)
    Large ships can already dock at megaships though...
    But megaships aren't carriers.

Originally Posted by EUS View Post (Source)
    But megaships aren't carriers.
    Who says so? It makes sense to use those assets.

In my mind a carrier should be based on what a carrier is today, or how it was done in homeworld; for short range fighters, some med range support, not mothership/station do it all size, but outpost sized capabilities.

A really good concept with some innovative ideas that I like a lot but also fear it is wholly unfair to single players while there are huge benefits to those who would play as a squadron. Unless the same benefits (trading materials and very high mission rewards for example) are also opened to single players, I can't see how this would work other than to further fragment the community creating a bigger divide between those who play in open and those who stay in Solo and thus would speed up the demise of the game. I know you mentioned a SP could buy/build a carrier but could a SP also build their own NPC squadron to complete squadron missions for example? How then would success/failure be measured (RNG?!?). How could an NPC squadron then compete with a player squadron? Would this be possible on an even footing?

I'm 100% behind more (varied) content and would love to see the possibility of owning a base of operations be it carrier or planetary based. Your ideas are very much aligned with my own but the cynic in me believes 99% of carriers would be used for more sinister purposes (gank platform/system blockade came first to mind). I hate to come across negative because I truly think something like this would benefit the game hugely, especially for those who have done most things and looking for new challenges. I just think whatever is introduced needs to provide the same balanced opportunity to all without forcing people to join groups they would otherwise avoid or isolating individual players by providing distinct advantages to player groups. How this is done is a question beyond me.

Rep to you for putting this out there .

Originally Posted by Dommarraa View Post (Source)
    Seeing as they have announced it, I guess they have a pretty good idea how they are going to do it already.
    Just setting yourself up to be disappointed
    They announced it, but it doesn't mean they're nowhere near done with them. They're probably very early in talking and designing. This is the perfect time to submit well thought out ideas like these.

I'd have been happier with a wall-of-text to read, and some still images.

I highly doubt Fleet Carriers will be anything like this at all.

Here's a few things that come to mind:

1. What happens to the ships in a carrier, if the carrier owner/pilot goes offline? (game crash, ISP failure, power failure)?
    Are they simply stuck in the nowhere, unable to play until the carrier owner returns? If so, this could put a big dampener on both via their viability and on game play in general.
    If they are ejected from the carrier at it's last location, this would simply be terribly annoying.

2. What happens to ships in a carrier if that carrier is destroyed?
    Group rebuy would suck, being ejected into a hostile situation would just be annoying to say the least.

3. If Carriers are indestructible, they wouldn't have need of weapons, so weaponizing them (outside of the pacification emplacements common to stations and megaships) would be unnecessary, and prevent issues # 1 and 2. However this would also limit any sort of outfitting, if any outfitting is even possible.

We also know nothing about how Squadrons will work - I'm going to speculate they will be basically a "wing" of 4 Wings, allowing 16 ships to work together. However, given the amount of trouble we've had to this point just getting Wings working (instancing anyone?), adding another layer to this will only further complicate matters.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)

1. What happens to the ships in a carrier, if the carrier owner/pilot goes offline? (game crash, ISP failure, power failure)?
    Are they simply stuck in the nowhere, unable to play until the carrier owner returns? If so, this could put a big dampener on both via their viability and on game play in general.
    If they are ejected from the carrier at it's last location, this would simply be terribly annoying.

Group rebuy would suck, being ejected into a hostile situation would just be annoying to say the least.

3. If Carriers are indestructible, they wouldn't have need of weapons, so weaponizing them (outside of the pacification emplacements common to stations and megaships) would be unnecessary, and prevent issues # 1 and 2. However this would also limit any sort of outfitting, if any outfitting is even possible.

We also know nothing about how Squadrons will work - I'm going to speculate they will be basically a "wing" of 4 Wings, allowing 16 ships to work together. However, given the amount of trouble we've had to this point just getting Wings working (instancing anyone?), adding another layer to this will only further complicate matters.
    Many people are more happy with a video to watch than a wall of text.

Based on the concept shown:

1. The carrier would be in the position it was left in regardless of whether the squadron leader is online. Carrier jumps would be 1 jump regardless of distance with wait times many times longer than the time it would take to travel to that destination manually. 12:09

2. Carriers would never be destroyed, but I suppose could be sold. 10:40

3. They would need weapons if you don't want to have your squadron missions fail.

We know nothing of how squadrons work. Exactly, which is the whole point of this video.

I fully support your ideas Commander

I think these are great ideas.

There is only one thing that puzzles me: how can you sell your commodities to the market? I mean, if the carrier is way outside the bubble, how can you buy or sell commodities to the market?

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)

[snip!]

[snip!]
    Like the OP stated, the carriers shouldn't be destroyed. If their hull gets to a certain percentage, they would retreat. Where? What about they retreat to the same system they came from, like when you rebuy? If you're in a war against another squadron, that would be a significant defeat as you would have to start the same long trip to get back in the fight. Just an idea.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast