Page 97 of 97 First 93959697
Results 1,441 to 1,454 of 1454

Thread: EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Originally Posted by GJ51 View Post (Source)
    Have you checked/verified that the API is still connected? I did a few changes recently and found that I had to redo the Frontier API validation.
    That and also please give 3.3.7-b1 a try as we fixed a lot there.

Originally Posted by VerticalBlank View Post (Source)
    That and also please give 3.3.7-b1 a try as we fixed a lot there.
    I installed b1 yesterday and things were looking pretty good. Today I checked and found that I needed to re-connect the FD API. Doing so has caused the CPU usage to go crazy again, now hovering around 40%

I'll let it sit a while longer to see if it will calm down, but it looks like I might have to drop back to 3.3.4 again. If it does settle down I'll add an edit to this post, but it appears that re-connecting the API was what triggered the CPU spike. I'll disconnect it in a bit to see if it relieves the condition and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Can't get CPU to settle down. Dropped back to 3.3.4 for now.

As the non-VA user on the dev team, I can only say that from my side, standalone EDDI CPU usage is minimal.

It would appear that in some circumstances EDDI is interacting with VA to produce very high loads, whereas others are not seeing this.

I know very little about VA and its profiles, but perhaps a first step would be to establish some sort of benchmark config?

Originally Posted by VerticalBlank View Post (Source)
    As the non-VA user on the dev team, I can only say that from my side, standalone EDDI CPU usage is minimal.

It would appear that in some circumstances EDDI is interacting with VA to produce very high loads, whereas others are not seeing this.

I know very little about VA and its profiles, but perhaps a first step would be to establish some sort of benchmark config?
    I guess I would suggest that, for me at least, the benchmark config is 3.3.4

Using 3.3.4 the CPU% settles down rapidly after starting VA and idles under 1% usage. Issuing voice commands or when EDDI is actively giving voice reports triggered by events during play, the CPU% for VA never rises above 5% and even if it approaches that it settles back down under 1% rapidly.

Subsequent versions are experiencing a runaway condition where VA with EDDI plugin enabled just starts consuming all available CPU resources it can being limited to around 40% likely due to the fact that ED and other processes are using cycles as well.

I suppose I can reinstall 7b1 and test with and without the plugin enabled, but obviously something has changed after 3.3.4 to trigger this condition and I won't be able to upgrade past 3.3.4 unless the a solution is found. EDDI is a great enhancement to VA, but I won't be giving up VA to move past 3.3.4 if the problem isn't fixed.

As always, I do understand and greatly appreciate the efforts the team makes to keep EDDI alive and moving forward, and I'll be happy to assist by testing any number of things to help isolate and diagnose what may be causing this problem.

I guess I would suggest that, for me at least, the benchmark config is 3.3.4

Using 3.3.4 the CPU% settles down rapidly after starting VA and idles under 1% usage. Issuing voice commands or when EDDI is actively giving voice reports triggered by events during play, the CPU% for VA never rises above 5% and even if it approaches that it settles back down under 1% rapidly.

Subsequent versions are experiencing a runaway condition where VA with EDDI plugin enabled just starts consuming all available CPU resources it can being limited to around 40% likely due to the fact that ED and other processes are using cycles as well.

I suppose I can reinstall 7b1 and test with and without the plugin enabled, but obviously something has changed after 3.3.4 to trigger this condition and I won't be able to upgrade past 3.3.4 unless the a solution is found. EDDI is a great enhancement to VA, but I won't be giving up VA to move past 3.3.4 if the problem isn't fixed.

As always, I do understand and greatly appreciate the efforts the team makes to keep EDDI alive and moving forward, and I'll be happy to assist by testing any number of things to help isolate and diagnose what may be causing this problem.
    As always, we appreciate the reports and take each one very seriously.

To be clear, we would not post a revision (even as beta) that had significant utilization issues. Unfortunately, there are edge cases out there that do not present themselves during testing. None of the developers are experiencing the CPU utilization issues that a handful are describing.

My experience as a hard-core EDDI/VA user, is no different than how you describe... Utilization briefly peaks (due to new 'Log Load' functionality) and settles back down within 10-15 sec. During normal operation, it seldom spikes above 5%.

Chapter 4 has been particularly challenging as, in addition to the known journal log changes, there were a number of undocumented changes in the cAPI data-set... in which we did not get access until over a month after chapter 4 release.

I like to think of 3rd party devs being in two camps... the 'archivers' (EDDB, EDSN, Inara, etc) and the 'storytellers' (EDDI, EDD, etc). The FSS scanning journal changes created a difference in complexity for Archiver vs Storyteller by at least an order of magnitude. While Archivers are just saving data for future data-mining (where a break in causality will have little to no effect), the Storytellers have to create a coherent narrative from the journal events. The new scanning changes pretty much destroyed that. Many scanning journal events are now coming out of a chronologically coherent order.

We had to get creative in order to put the jigsaw puzzle back together and that additional complexity had unintended consequences in other parts of the code-base that we're on the tail end of chasing.

TL, DR... Please be patient (and let's keep it respectful) as we work through these final batch of issues. We're getting real close.

I'm running 3.3.7-b1, and overall event responsiveness is much improved — great work! EDDI still only recognises my system on starting the game. I always startup VA-EDDI plug-in before launching the game, and as my cmdr loads, the mission monitor reports accurately. If I then trigger the system report event from VA, EDDI reports correctly. Once I jump to a new system, EDDI still only reports my original system. That information doesn’t appear to be uploaded to EDDN, as I don’t see updated stats in Inara etcetera, even for my starting system. FWIW, I have the following responders enabled: VA; speech; ship; mission; EDSM; EDDP; EDDN; cmdr details are correctly populated. Other features are NOT enabled, including Frontier API. Let me know if you want debug logs, or if I should modify my config.

On a separate note, let me thank the dev team for their hard work on what, for me, is an essential tool. I’m a quadriplegic, and I play using only VA and a head mouse. With the state variables exposed by EDDI, I can craft a dynamic game experience which just wouldn’t be possible otherwise. You have my sincere gratitude for making Elite fully accessible.

Just for clarification, my last comment was directed to the community as a general response to the CPU utilization issue and the "let's keep it respectful" was in reference to some troll-ish behavior of which the team has been on the receiving end. We are very aware that the majority of the community is appreciative of our efforts. We are equally appreciatively of the support and patience we receive from the community.

Apologies to GJ51, for a poorly phrased aside. It was not my intent to 'call out' a CMDR who has been an ardent supporter of the cause.

EDDI is a labor of love for the team and we do take all your comments and needs of the community very seriously.

Originally Posted by edgtheo corinthian View Post (Source)
    I'm running 3.3.7-b1, and overall event responsiveness is much improved ó great work! EDDI still only recognises my system on starting the game. I always startup VA-EDDI plug-in before launching the game, and as my cmdr loads, the mission monitor reports accurately. If I then trigger the system report event from VA, EDDI reports correctly. Once I jump to a new system, EDDI still only reports my original system. That information doesnít appear to be uploaded to EDDN, as I donít see updated stats in Inara etcetera, even for my starting system. FWIW, I have the following responders enabled: VA; speech; ship; mission; EDSM; EDDP; EDDN; cmdr details are correctly populated. Other features are NOT enabled, including Frontier API. Let me know if you want debug logs, or if I should modify my config.

On a separate note, let me thank the dev team for their hard work on what, for me, is an essential tool. Iím a quadriplegic, and I play using only VA and a head mouse. With the state variables exposed by EDDI, I can craft a dynamic game experience which just wouldnít be possible otherwise. You have my sincere gratitude for making Elite fully accessible.
    VoiceAttack variables are updated on the first event EDDI registers after it finishes loading logs. We take this approach to minimize unnecessary writes to VoiceAttack variables.
    Beta versions of EDDI send data to the EDDN "test" endpoint, rather than the normal "live" endpoint (Inara, etc. does not listen to the "test" endpoint), and do not send data to EDSM. This gives us more time to prove out any changes that could affect those data transmissions prior to release. Final and release candidate versions do send data.

We're glad to be able to contribute to a tool that enriches the community. :-)

Hi folks,

I'm really sorry, I just can't seem to get EDDI to integrate with VA. It's in the correct location and plugins are enabled, other plug-ins are working and are seen by the VA plugin manager. EDDI isn't seen \ does not even appear in the list of plugins.

Originally Posted by CMDR_N0S4R2 View Post (Source)
    Hi folks,

I'm really sorry, I just can't seem to get EDDI to integrate with VA. It's in the correct location and plugins are enabled, other plug-ins are working and are seen by the VA plugin manager. EDDI isn't seen \ does not even appear in the list of plugins.
    For now, I'd recommend doing an uninstall and deleting all associated files in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\EDDI.

If VA is properly installed, the installation should put EDDI in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI"

Once installed (and you might check to see if it's done in your current installation) open EDDI in stand alone mode before opening VA, go to the Voice Attack responder tab at the bottom tab and at the top of the screen make sure that the box is checked next to "Plugin enabled." Also, because the Galnet Monitor isn't working anymore, check that tab and make sure the boxes are UNCHECKED.

Close EDDI and open VA, Click on the wrench once VA is open and on the General tab make sure "Enable Plugin Support" is checked. Click "OK" and then close/re-start VA.

HTH

Lastly, I import the EDDI vap commands into the Singularity profile.

EDIT:

Thanks to SemlerPDX, here are the easy copy/paste file locations:

%APPDATA%\Roaming\EDDI

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI

+1 to SemlerPDX

For now, I'd recommend doing an uninstall and deleting all associated files in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\EDDI.

If VA is properly installed, the installation should put EDDI in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI"

Once installed (and you might check to see if it's done in your current installation) open EDDI in stand alone mode before opening VA, go to the Voice Attack responder tab at the bottom tab and at the top of the screen make sure that the box is checked next to "Plugin enabled." Also, because the Galnet Monitor isn't working anymore, check that tab and make sure the boxes are UNCHECKED.

Close EDDI and open VA, Click on the wrench once VA is open and on the General tab make sure "Enable Plugin Support" is checked. Click "OK" and then close/re-start VA.

HTH

Lastly, I import the EDDI vap commands into the Singularity profile.
    Thank you for the advice .. I've tried the reinstall and checkboxing, I'm not there with a working version yet, but you've convinced me to reinstall VA.. I've got the Steam version so it did not install in program files (x86) .. I'll force steam to install it there.

Cool

(Great answer, GJ51 - u rock!) Only slightly off-topic, so you never have to use a placeholder like "USERNAME" in forums again, you can provide a string of text that people can literally copy/paste into Windows Explorer to find the folder you want them to find.
    Uses token wildcards to go to a path like this:

%APPDATA%\Roaming\EDDI

examples for programs folders:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI

%ProgramFiles%\OBS\plugins

Cheers, bro!

Original post amended

Thanks

Originally Posted by Tkael View Post (Source)
    VoiceAttack variables are updated on the first event EDDI registers after it finishes loading logs. We take this approach to minimize unnecessary writes to VoiceAttack variables.
    Beta versions of EDDI send data to the EDDN "test" endpoint, rather than the normal "live" endpoint (Inara, etc. does not listen to the "test" endpoint), and do not send data to EDSM. This gives us more time to prove out any changes that could affect those data transmissions prior to release. Final and release candidate versions do send data.

We're glad to be able to contribute to a tool that enriches the community. :-)
    I did forget that test versions send data to null endpoints, thanks for the reminder. My query regarding current systems remains though, shouldn’t EDDI recognise my current system after a high wake? It never seems to notice that I jumped to a new system. Is it possible I disabled that functionality somehow?